Wheelchair questions

swimrunmom

Earning My Ears
Hello!

I am a Disney veteran but will be using a wheelchair for the first time during our trip in March. First a little background: I have MS and Mixed Connective Tissue Disease. Both diseases have progressed so that I will need a chair for this visit. I do get very stiff if I sit for too long, which is why I will be renting a wheelchair vs a scooter. I have found it helps a lot with the stiffness if I walk a bit every hour. My husband will push me when I ride and I will just be the one to push the chair when I need to walk.

Now for the questions. First, are the rental stations for each park before or after you scan your magic bands? We are typically rope drop people and are wondering how much time to factor in if we have to rent the chair after we are through the gates.

Second, if the chair goes through the lines with us can we leave things on the chair when we ride the rides? ( I'm thinking a bag or jacket if we have one, nothing valuable.)

Thirdly, if the line is short and I want to walk it, can we park the wheelchair in stroller parking?

Finally, we will most likely get a length of stay rental, if they are available, for our trip. How does this work if we leave the park, then return later or park hop?

Thanks for any help you can give! I have been reading a lot of threads on here and gaining lots of valuable information for our upcoming trip!

2.yes
3.yes
4. You keep your receipt to show the next park.

I would get a chair from on off site vendor. It is probably cheaper and you would have all the time. It can be a long walk to the buses and then it can be a long wait for the buses to come.

Our last trip I thought I'd be fine walking. I am always fine walking at Disney. Well last trip I had a major fibro flare intensified by a new medication I was taking which apparently has a side effect of sun sensitivity. Long story short I ended up needing a chair the entire trip. Renting everyday from the parks was exhausting. They did have chairs to borrow to walk back to the bus stops but at the resort I was still without a chair. My advice is the same as the above poster, get a chair from an outside vendor, that way you have it all the time. Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the help!
I have thought about renting from off site. I'm only hesitant because we are not staying onsite and will be driving a rental car or using Lyft. Does anyone know if they are easy to fold and fit in a trunk?

Last edited:
Thanks for the help!
I have thought about renting from off site. I'm only hesitant because we are not staying onsite and will be driving a rental car or using Lyft. Does anyone know if they are easy to fold and fit in a trunk?

It really depends on the size of the trunk. They are easy to fold and as long as it's a decent sized trunkit should fit.

For can we leave thing on the chair when we are in the ride. Make sure what ever you leave you would not mind if it walked a way. And do not leave food in it the animal are very good at getting into things to get food a quick YouTube search will give you a good laugh.

I was just there a few months ago and length of stay rental were $10 a day but keep your receipt if leaving the parks you only pay once a day for wheelchair ( just like you pay once a day for parking)

ECV rentals are inside the parks (after you scan your MBs. The rental locations are generally open before the attraction areas, so you should have time to complete your rental in time to be an early-rider.

Especially from offsite, it can be a significant distance before getting to wheelchair rental. For the MK, if you park in disabled parking, there is no tram, and there may (or may not) be a wheelchair to borrow to get to the monorail or ferry. It’s a shorter walk if you take the tram.

Walking up to the monorail can also be a bit of a challenge- there is no elevator.

Safe travels!

Another idea might be to purchase a transport wheelchair. They are not insanely expensive and our super light and easy to get in and out of a car trunk. Since someone else will be doing the pushing you don’t need the bigger wheels of a regular chair. We have one that we use due to my ankle arthritis issues, sometime I sit, sometimes I walk and sometimes I push it for support. It has been a great compromise for us.

Another idea might be to purchase a transport wheelchair. They are not insanely expensive and our super light and easy to get in and out of a car trunk. Since someone else will be doing the pushing you don’t need the bigger wheels of a regular chair. We have one that we use due to my ankle arthritis issues, sometime I sit, sometimes I walk and sometimes I push it for support. It has been a great compromise for us.

Transport chairs are not really recommended at WDW; the smaller wheels make it harder for the pusher, especially on patterned concrete, and when crossing trolley tracks.

The smaller wheels also mean that the rider experiences a rougher ride, again, especially with all of the patterned concrete at WDW.

The seats are not meant for all-day/long-term use, and can become uncomfortable quickly.

I'm glad that you found a solution that works for you, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone who needed to sit more often/longer than you do.

disagree. they are meant for very short distances, NOT all-day use. your butt will thank you if you get a regular chair.

disagree. they are meant for very short distances, NOT all-day use. your butt will thank you if you get a regular chair.
I think people have to determine how much time they will be sitting. Honestly our Medline transport is very comfortable, some people add a lumbar pillow for comfort too. We have used it for 13 years in the World, on all surfaces and it works for us, but I am not sitting in it for 8 hours at a time. But for someone like the OP who has to get out and walk to avoid stiffness it can be an easier option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!