When do you think it will be safe to go to a DVC hotel?

When do you think it will be safe to go to a DVC hotel?

• Now

Votes: 122 55.0%
  • Fall 2020

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Winter 2020

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • Spring 2021

Votes: 29 13.1%
  • Summer 2021

Votes: 19 8.6%
  • Fall 2021

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • Winter 2021

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Never

Votes: 7 3.2%

• Total voters
Yeah, it will never be completely safe.

I would think it is currently "reasonably" safe to stay at the DVC resorts.

I'm still a bit iffy on the parks, though. But if issues exist, they'll probably show up within a month or so...

"Safe" as in the future state of going to WDW? I would say that is Winter 2021.

You can look back through my posts and I have taken COVID19 fairly seriously since January and we have a trip planned in March and don't really see myself not going.

I am not taking my kids though until January 2022 at which point if there is still issues/restriction from COVID then I don't think it will ever really go away. That would be a solid 24 months from the first known infection in the US.

I can also see myself quarantining away from the kids and for sure away from everyone external to our house when we get back in March. We self quarantined in February when I believed to have been sick with COVID19 (no testing at the time though so no way of knowing). I traveled for work every other week and caught whatever made me (and my wife) sick on a trip/flight back from NYC to where I am at (right at NYC just started exploding with cases).

Safety depends on you and your behavior.
...not entirely.

The guy I saw t-boned yesterday was behaving absolutely correctly moving through the intersection on a green light after the light had fully changed over, and the guy who right turned out of the gas station at the intersection, gunned his car through the red? Very much less so.

Even if you're doing everything right, the person near you may be the Miami Marlin who went to a nightclub right before opening day.

"Safe" as it was - probably sometime in Fall 2021 - maybe Winter. I'm not planning on traveling much of anywhere until sometime around then - once a vaccine is widely distributed - and it will take that long to get it widely distributed. Everyone has their own risk profile, but I really do not need to go to WDW. Heck, I'm not sure when I'm going to risk dining in a local restaurant.....it won't be this month. I barely make it out to Target and still give myself home haircuts.

I'd be willing to stay in a hotel/condo/etc. now. (We are going to do that next month when we help our daugther move in to her apartment for graduate school.)

But, I'm not yet willing to fly, am not willing to eat in a sit-down restaurant, and am not interested in being in a theme park, live sporting event, concert, or other place where many people gather together in a confined (and partially indoor) space.

With each passing day, I get closer to selling with the intention to never return. Looking at the Covid situation, coupled with the political situation (protests, administration), I just don’t feel comfortable travelling to the US. We will pay our dues in January 2021, as we’ve used many of those points already. Paying dues without travelling come 2022 will be a nonstarter, however. We will sell before then, if the situation seems it necessary.

We are shooting for Nov 2021, before banked points expire, but I’m sceptical.

I'd be willing to stay in a hotel/condo/etc. now. (We are going to do that next month when we help our daugther move in to her apartment for graduate school.)

But, I'm not yet willing to fly, am not willing to eat in a sit-down restaurant, and am not interested in being in a theme park, live sporting event, concert, or other place where many people gather together in a confined (and partially indoor) space.

We did that back in June. We live in Minnesota and our youngest is in college in Massachusetts. They were home from March to May, but June 1st their apartment lease on their first apartment started, and with all their friends out there and half their classes having a tentative in person option, being out there was the best decision for them. So we took a careful cross country trip, got them into their apartment, spent a few nights in a hotel, ate takeout or ate with them in their apartment, and came back. Putting their life and friendships etc on hold - when they are as safe out there as they would be here - was not the right thing to do.

But spending 24 hours each way on the road because I wouldn't fly unless it were an emergency, then spending all our time in a hotel room or their apartment - not a great vacation. Not worth the risk just to wake up in a different bed.

But spending 24 hours each way on the road because I wouldn't fly unless it were an emergency, then spending all our time in a hotel room or their apartment - not a great vacation.
Luckily, we only have a 7-ish hour drive w/out stops. I'm not sure what we would do if it were much longer.

...not entirely.

The guy I saw t-boned yesterday was behaving absolutely correctly moving through the intersection on a green light after the light had fully changed over, and the guy who right turned out of the gas station at the intersection, gunned his car through the red? Very much less so.

Even if you're doing everything right, the person near you may be the Miami Marlin who went to a nightclub right before opening day.

So, I will point out that your example is terrible because it's not even remotely the same thing. You have many opportunities to wash your hands, use antibacterial solutions, wear your masks, social distance and take other precautions. It's not like there are COVID zombies running around the place with their hands outstretched just trying to touch you like some morbid game of sharks and minnows.

That said, it is true that your safety PARTLY depends on others taking precautions as well. However, by and large MOST of the precautions others can take, they ARE - by law and by Disney policy. So I put it again - by and large - your safety right now depends SIGNIFICANTLY on YOUR personal behavior. if you are washing your hands, using anti-bacterial, social distancing, wearing your masks and in all other ways being a good little citizen, you are RELATIVELY safe. As much so as you are anywhere else (not accounting for plane rides, bus rides, MCO or other transportation outside of Disney).

If you are NOT a good listener, and do not do the things instructed, YOU are negatively affecting your chances.

I.E. - your safety is largely controlled by your behavior.

Have not been back to WDW yet, but I just spent two weeks in the D.C. area staying in hotels and in my timeshare there. I did not have any issues and everything seemed clean and well managed.

Last edited:
We will not travel to WDW until early 2022 at the earliest. Hoping we will feel comfortable enough by then. We were there in February and would be due for our next visit in early 2021, but we will definitely be skipping that trip. We will bank our 20/21 points and have enough to stay in whichever grand villa we want in 2022 😀

If you're asking for 100% safety from illnesses, I'd say never. If your asking for reasonable safety with proper precautions, I think Disney, in general, is probably safer than many other places...and very much safer than most of Florida, Texas, Arizona, and California right now...as long as the rules are followed.

I'll go one further . . . I believe right now is the safest it will be over the next year or so simply because of the low crowds and the compliance to following safety measures by both park and resort visitors, i.e. masks and distancing and staff, i.e. masks and disinfecting.

I believe that once any measure of a vaccine has been found and begins getting distributed to the masses, Disney may naturally ease off or on their current safety measures as will inoculated guests, i.e. optional or no masks required, less disinfecting of areas. Crowds will gradually increase in number and with the absence or reduction of the current safety measures in place, I can see a scenario for potential trouble.

All I am saying is that people get flu shots and still get the flu. There still needs to be a measure of precaution by guests and Disney parks and resorts even after a vaccine has been found and people get their shots. I think that for the foreseeable future, right now is the safest we are going to see for some time.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!