When do you think it will be safe to go to a DVC hotel?

When do you think it will be safe to go to a DVC hotel?

• Now

Votes: 122 55.0%
  • Fall 2020

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Winter 2020

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • Spring 2021

Votes: 29 13.1%
  • Summer 2021

Votes: 19 8.6%
  • Fall 2021

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • Winter 2021

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Never

Votes: 7 3.2%

• Total voters
We have a 2 week trip booked in February but they are all points that do not expire until January 31, 2022--- so was thinking about using these points instead for HHI if we decide to cancel. We can avoid the plane and drive to HHI in 12 hours. That would cut down on risk.

Spouse works in the hospital and interacts with the high risk population, so we don't want him getting it and passing it to someone else.

On the plus side, masks seem to work! His entire department has been wearing surgical masks now, and no one has gotten sick, including those over 60+ still working. They will work on patients who THEY DID NOT KNOW were contagious (both parties only wearing a surgical mask) only to find out the patient was tested positive two days later.

When it comes to N95's, they are required to reuse their N95s (for only patients already tested covid positive) for 3-7 days in a row (they are down to 3 days in a row). They will all wear surgical masks over their reused n95's for extra protection and it's been ok so far.

So I don't know. Will it ever be safe? No. Everyone has their own risk/benefit analysis that they need to make....

By now if there was an outbreak in a Central Florida theme park it would be all over the news and it hasn't been.
Numbers have declined a bit in central FL but numbers r still high. I still have end of sept trip in place & will be flying (did so May/June elsewhere)

Not sure if FL state has contact tracing in place, a good indicator of ‘where’.

Hopefully, people who rerun home & become ill will be responsible and truthful as to their recent travel outside their state.

It depends on your comfort level. Personally I will feel comfortable with a vaccine, even though I feel like the numbers of people who opt out (based on surveys) could compromise herd immunity. I would go now if Florida ended up having similar levels/practices to where I currently live but I doubt that will ever happen without a vaccine.

I think my next Disney trip could possibly be summer 2021, but I think summer 2022 for certain.

Probably right now because the crowds are so low along with following all the rules of mask wearing, social distancing and hand washing. That being said I wouldn't go now because it's just too hot for me. That along with having to wear a mask makes it a no go for me at this time.

We went 2 weeks ago and had no issues. Tested negative upon our return home. Wife works in healthcare. Every colleague she spoke to had no reason to advise against it as long as masks and distancing were observed. We wore n95 masks on plane and cloth masks in parks.

We did minimize our indoor dining--easier with DVC kitchens. Places like Yak & Yeti, Via Napoli and Le Cellier had tables well spaced out. Only place that made me a little nervous was The Boathouse. Tables seemed a little tighter than other restaurants, and more loud talking / laughing among groups.

I won't claim that I was never nervous about the trip. But logically, the protections Disney has in place should protect guests better than a local grocery store. Mask compliance was essentially 100%. If everyone is wearing masks, I'm sanitizing my hands before and after every ride and doing my best to stay 6' away from others, there is essentially zero risk.

My sister says it is hard to get a test in Florida. She is in Volusia.
I can't speak to that area but for our area of N. FL it's easy. There are currently 3 options that are routinely available without an order and without cost, just drive up. There are several options through insurance where it's easy to do, I'm about to head out to help with one in an hour which we do every day run by our insurance group. My guess is there are easy options but she just isn't aware of them.
is the state funded option in that county. Just walk up, 7 days a week 9-5 sounds pretty available but I realize there may be a wait.

This is exactly my concern! We cancelled our WDW trip for November but kept our HHI trip for October. I think if we can just make it safely to and from the Disney HHI resort, we will be fine. Of course, there's also a little concern about the need to go to the hospital while on the trip. (Had to rush DH to the hospital in Celebration a couple of years ago.) Not sure I want to go to a hospital in SC with their numbers so high.
We live on Hilton Head, and are DVC members. We‘re planning a trip to Orlando in October. Frankly, I feel safer at Disney than on the Island. We have so much tourism here from other states. Many not wearing masks and no enforcement. That being said, enjoy your vacation, but the reality is, you’re no safer here.

We live on Hilton Head, and are DVC members. We‘re planning a trip to Orlando in October. Frankly, I feel safer at Disney than on the Island. We have so much tourism here from other states. Many not wearing masks and no enforcement. That being said, enjoy your vacation, but the reality is, you’re no safer here.
Thanks for the information! If we were planning on doing things on the island, I would definitely be worried. I've heard that masks aren't being enforced. Our plan is to do a pickup at Kroger and then stay on the Disney "island" where I know masks are being enforced. We will probably venture over to the beach a couple of times, but we will drive our own vehicle. As far as eating, we will mostly cook in the room. We may get take-out a couple of times, but we will definitely not be eating at any restaurants. We don't even do that here. I'm seriously just planning on sitting on my balcony and enjoying the views.

We wore n95 masks on plane and cloth masks in parks.
Did you encounter any ‘blowback’ from folks when wearing N95 masks?

We had some of the not-medical-grade sort left by contractors from a home improvement project. Wore on plane May/June, got more than few snide remarks. However, that was on allegiant who wasn’t enforcing mask wearing on said plane.

Did you encounter any ‘blowback’ from folks when wearing N95 masks?

Not that I noticed. I'm not above budget airlines but we happened to book Delta this time. Was a really good experience. But you still see people in bandanna "masks", hanging down under nose, etc. One clown seemed determined to still do whatever he wanted; crowding people in the terminal, ignoring the requested process for both boarding and deplaning. That was on our return flight home. Really brought into focus how good compliance was around WDW.

That was on our return flight home. Really brought into focus how good compliance was around WD
Thanks. We noticed far better behavior in Myrtle beach (& that was when they just reopened) than on the plane.

Seemingly, all it took there were people congregating in the bars in great numbers & not being required to wear any facial masks for their numbers to rapidly soar. Contract tracers in our area traced it back to said bars.

Considering another visit there. flying over Labor Day as their numbers have dropped & we have no intention of doing much other than beaching it.

Was hoping that people working/visiting in the park bubbles are taking things very seriously. From all accounts it seems so.

I’m more concerned with people from other parts Of the country where mask wearing isn’t standard behavior. They may be unknowingly exposed, visiting the parks and acting as spreaders of the virus.

It’s a tuff call all the way around.

Thanks for the information! If we were planning on doing things on the island, I would definitely be worried. I've heard that masks aren't being enforced. Our plan is to do a pickup at Kroger and then stay on the Disney "island" where I know masks are being enforced. We will probably venture over to the beach a couple of times, but we will drive our own vehicle. As far as eating, we will mostly cook in the room. We may get take-out a couple of times, but we will definitely not be eating at any restaurants. We don't even do that here. I'm seriously just planning on sitting on my balcony and enjoying the views.
Sounds perfect! My kind of vacation.

Remember a vaccine stimulates your immune system to produce antibodies, exactly like it would if you were exposed to Covid. Some that get the vaccine won't get the virus and others will. Its not going to protect you 100% it is all depends on how your body reacts to getting the vaccine. Just like you hear people say I got the flu shot but I still got the flu. Some people don't get flu some get it but it is not as bad and others get the full blown flu it all depends on your body and how it acts.

Remember a vaccine stimulates your immune system to produce antibodies, exactly like it would if you were exposed to Covid. Some that get the vaccine won't get the virus and others will. Its not going to protect you 100% it is all depends on how your body reacts to getting the vaccine. Just like you hear people say I got the flu shot but I still got the flu. Some people don't get flu some get it but it is not as bad and others get the full blown flu it all depends on your body and how it acts.
Not exactly like if you get the live disease, vaccines usually produce a lower antibody response that live diseases and we definitely want a lower response than some get with the live disease for Covid 19. No vaccine is 100% protective but generally viral vaccines are very protective overall. The issue with flu is there are a number of strains and it changes even during the year. The vaccine you get for the flu is very good at protecting you against the exact strains in that vaccine but there are only 4, 2 of each A & B. Even then it's not absolute but if one does get the vaccine it tends to be a much milder illness. There are some external factors that can reduce your protection as well including medications.

My guess is that many businesses, school's, churches, etc will require the vaccine even if the government doesn't. They'll likely treat it like many hospitals do with the flu vaccine, you get it unless you have a contraindication and if so, you wear a mask all the time in all areas, at least for a while. No exceptions based on personal choice if one wants to participate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter