When in 2019 will Star Wars Open? Add your Thoughts/Opinion.

When do you think Star Wars Galaxy's Edge will open at Disneyland?

• Total voters
other significant star war dates to throw out our May 14th, June 12 and June 18th, May 4th would be great, but that would be a total break down of every system at Disneyland.

September is the ideal date for crowd control....and am still on my soap box that that admission to Star Wars land will be by wrist band, lottery or separate cash...based on a few of the following facts, you can't show up and buy a candy cane at your leisure, buy a MHP ticket week out from your trip, receive a positive response from Club 33. There are exclusive activities at Disneyland, and the first two months of Star Wars will be exclusive.

It would be a Star Wars fan's dream for it to open May 4th, but, with how construction goes, especially new build, I will be surprised if it opens before September.

I just read an article that suggested a Dec 2018 soft open date. (Disney Tourist blog) I have no idea if there’s any merit to it but thought it was interesting. I wouldn’t have a clue what to guess, myself.

I just read an article that suggested a Dec 2018 soft open date. (Disney Tourist blog) I have no idea if there’s any merit to it but thought it was interesting. I wouldn’t have a clue what to guess, myself.
I’ve heard that floating around and just looking at construction they are hauling on this project.

These are pics I took from the parking structure that show the progress in construction.

July 2016

5A46C09D-27A2-4A78-A4FB-484BDF683A37.jpeg

March 11, 2017 (the metal bridge looking things on the ground are the AT-AT frames)

9A65D320-381E-472D-8873-ABDBDFA2E14B.jpeg

May 6, 2017

E61C3D39-EC6E-4554-872B-C9D547CF0FDE.jpeg

July 4, 2017

890D1BDD-D752-46A2-8CBF-FC766335CA3F.jpeg

October 28, 2017

2ADEC67E-85EA-4C5B-9765-4B0CF50A7BB3.jpeg

December 2, 2017

72A669CA-0870-4754-955B-35DC620FE12B.jpeg

Based on past experience, I think we will see soft openings and/or cast previews start late April/Early May, moving into AP and DVC previews mid May, with an official opening Memorial Day weekend. That is unless there are construction delays.

There is no way that this could occur, as they will have to have the new parking structure open first and they haven't even started construction on it as of yet. They may do some very limited cast member testing starting around this time, but don't be surprised if they can't say a word about the the testing having even begun.

other significant star war dates to throw out our May 14th, June 12 and June 18th, May 4th would be great, but that would be a total break down of every system at Disneyland.

September is the ideal date for crowd control....and am still on my soap box that that admission to Star Wars land will be by wrist band, lottery or separate cash...based on a few of the following facts, you can't show up and buy a candy cane at your leisure, buy a MHP ticket week out from your trip, receive a positive response from Club 33. There are exclusive activities at Disneyland, and the first two months of Star Wars will be exclusive.
I can guarantee you there would be an uprising on this one. I could see them using a FP system for a while for entry into the land, but charging extra wouldn't be realistic. I could see doing something where you can pay extra for extra hours in the land before or after normal operating hours. I also would expect that the onsite hotels would get access to the land before or after hours.

I also expect there to be previews for the following groups before the land is officially opened, probably in the following order:
  1. Cast Members - Very limited with NDAs and no cameras allowed in the area.
  2. Cast Members - A little less restricted, still no cameras
  3. Cast Members & two guests - Still no cameras
  4. Club 33 Members - Cameras may be allowed but discouraged
  5. DVC Members - Cameras Allowed but discouraged
  6. Annual Pass Holders - Cameras Allowed but discouraged
  7. A week or less of paid preview nights similar to what was done the night before GOTG opened - Cameras Allowed and Encouraged
These will most likely NOT be paid previews, except number 7, as they will be soft openings that could close at any time. I would expect groups 3 through 6 to happen within a 2 week period.

And I doubt Disney would wait until September (unless the land isn't ready), as they wouldn't want to miss an entire summer's worth of merchandising gold.

Wow! That would be awesome!

There is no way that this could occur, as they will have to have the new parking structure open first and they haven't even started construction on it as of yet. They may do some very limited cast member testing starting around this time, but don't be surprised if they can't say a word about the the testing having even begun.

Unfortunately, there is no way the parking structure will be open prior to opening.

Wow....earthquakes....we could play six degrees of Star Wars Land. Before entering Star wars land, everyone will pass in view of the Main
street flag. Main street flag pole base has an interesting history as well as all the Disneyland Flags. Walt Disney loved the history of flag poles and purchased a historic flag pole. One Flag pole came from the Squaw Valley winter Olympics. Winter Olympics has down hill skiing and Down hill skiing can be practiced at Mammoth lakes. Mammoth Lakes had an earthquake.

If they fail to catch up for a May opening then they would have to open up by at least July...August at the latest to still grab those busy crowds.

I’m tentatively planning a Cali/DL trip for summer 2019 so it’s exciting but also terrifying we may be there during the first few weeks of the new land...

But we did a WDW trip for Pandora opening weekend and don’t regret it!

I just wish I knew a good ballpark to better plan for when to take our trip. I would hate to take a trip and miss Star Wars.

So if May the 4th ends up being the opening date, when can we book a resort for then? I'm not adverse to hoping that is the date and booking a resort, just in case.

So if May the 4th ends up being the opening date, when can we book a resort for then? I'm not adverse to hoping that is the date and booking a resort, just in case.
Disney usually opens rooms up the summer prior to the year your booking for. So summer 2018 is when 2019 packages will open.

I think I am going to plan a late June early July trip and make changes as needed. We won't know for sure until Disney says something anyways.

I just wish I knew a good ballpark to better plan for when to take our trip. I would hate to take a trip and miss Star Wars.

Hehe, we are the exact opposite! While we like Star Wars, are excited for Star Wars Land, and will probably enjoy it on many future visits, we are planning to sneak in a January, February, or March 2019 visit before it opens to avoid the crowds. If/when we return to DLR a couple years after that (maybe 2021 or 2022?) we will enjoy all the (not-so-)new Star Wars attractions then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter