When was the worst time you overslept?

reecejackox

DIS Veteran
I don't think I have had that many incredibly bad over sleeping times , maybe back in my school days school started at 8.55 and I fell back to sleep till 8.48 so had to rush the 20 minutes walk .

College. I was in a Big 10 marching band. I overslept the first game by well over an hour. I still feel panic every time I think about it. I was able to wake up one of the girls on our dorm floor who I knew had a car (it was still really early in my freshman year) and got there late for warm-ups, but in time to march the pre-game. I still don't have any idea how I could've done that.

The only other one was when we lived in Georgia and I was working a part-time job on top of a full-time job. It came to a head when I completely slept through my alarm clock one morning, and my boss had to call -- I was 2 hours late that day.

The one time I missed a flight in my entire life, and it was my sister's fault. I was staying with her in LA and was to go home that morning. They didn't wake up in time and I didn't have an alarm of my own (before smart phones). They woke me up late, rushed me to the airport with little hope of actually making it, then I had to go standby for a later flight. I was pretty mad. I'm a "get to the airport very early" type. It will never happen again.

I missed an exam in college. I slept thru my alarm. Luckily the professor was understanding and let me take the test.

Ugh. This one caused me great pain for some time.

I took care of my mom for several yeses. The last couple years were really intense caregiving and when she passed she has been given 6 months to live 2 years before.

The day she passed, we both had taken our daily nap in between breakfast and lunch.
I had a bad migraine and taken medicine and overslept by maybe 15 minutes.
I get up and go check on mom to get ready for lunch and she had passed in her sleep.

I felt very guilty for some time, but a friend told me that if I had gone in and seen her go and me not be able to help that would have truly devastated me.

Ugh. This one caused me great pain for some time.

I took care of my mom for several yeses. The last couple years were really intense caregiving and when she passed she has been given 6 months to live 2 years before.

The day she passed, we both had taken our daily nap in between breakfast and lunch.
I had a bad migraine and taken medicine and overslept by maybe 15 minutes.
I get up and go check on mom to get ready for lunch and she had passed in her sleep.

I felt very guilty for some time, but a friend told me that if I had gone in and seen her go and me not be able to help that would have truly devastated me.
I am so sorry for you, I think that was probably the best thing that could have happened and passing away in your sleep is peaceful, I agree with your friend. Sorry that happened to you !

I am not an oversleeper, but a friend was driving for many hours, finally making it back in the dark, early morning hours, and went to bed. He woke up at one point and it was dark, so went back to sleep. When he woke up again it was light, but eventually realized it was the next day!

This thread reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry had a marathon runner staying with him and he overslept. Something about he’d stayed with Jerry before and missed a race and Jerry promised it wouldn’t happen again. It’s a bit fuzzy, but that’s the general synopsis.

Overslept twice in the 40 years since I graduated from College.
First time I overslept by an hour, but I still got to work on time.
Second time I overslept by 20 minutes, and got to work on time

However, I worked graveyard shift 25 of those years, 11 pm to 7 am, and went to bed at 8 or 9 am. I normally got up about 5 pm, so to oversleep, I'd have to oversleep by almost 6 hours, almost impossible! When I was single and had nothing going on when I was on that shift, I didn't even set an alarm.

These days, almost half the time I wake up 5 minutes before my alarm. And I get up at 2 am now.

I overslept for the first day of my senior year because I forgot to set my alarm clock. I was the second child and at that point, my parents were tired of actively parenting so neither noticed I had overslept. Luckily, my first teacher was my AP European History teacher who I had had for the previous two years of high school. Instead of sending me to the office for a tardy pass or assigning me detention he decided to give me a hard time about it for the rest of the first week of school. I ended up not missing anything. All he did on the first day was explain the syllabus and circulate a donut sign up sheet. He expected a different student to bring donuts every Friday to class.

I overslept and missed my flight home. The biggest issue was the storms coming that I now had to wait out before I could fly home. That was 3 days of not much to do and a lot of time to do it.

I missed an exam in college. I slept thru my alarm. Luckily the professor was understanding and let me take the test.

This happened to me too!

I had an allergic reaction the night before the test (hives) and couldn’t sleep. Somehow I turned off my alarm without waking up. Thankfully I’d been a student who went to class every day, so the prof gave me the benefit of the doubt and let me write the exam later that day.

Just last December I had a hair cut appointment at 9, Im always up by 9, but slept thru it, so with that I decided to grow my hair long again.

This thread reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry had a marathon runner staying with him and he overslept. Something about he’d stayed with Jerry before and missed a race and Jerry promised it wouldn’t happen again. It’s a bit fuzzy, but that’s the general synopsis.

My first thought was the episode where Elaine had a boyfriend visiting and they overslept for his flight home and she was practically pushing him out the door to get to the plane on time.

Oh yes Kimblebee, that was a funny one. He was acting like it would not be a big deal to stay another day and she was going lose her mind or kill him if he did. :laughing:

I’ve only overslept a couple of times, and not even enough to be late for work. I did go in with soaking wet hair, but I made it in time.

Now I don’t sleep well if I have an alarm set, constantly on edge and never really relax. It’s very frustrating, especially at WDW

I think one time in middle school.
I missed the bus but luckily my older sister was home and drove me but I was crying for like 20 minutes after I got there because things like that made me feel like I disappointed someone.

My fiancée and I overslept and missed a final exam for an English class (English 201). Technically, if I remember correctly, we both believed it was in the afternoon but ended up being in the morning. The professor let us take the test late, and we both ended up getting A's (even though I totally misunderstood the final essay question).

Not uncommon at my work, especially since a dozen of us have a 3 am start time.
As I have mentioned before, it is complicated by the growing use of cell phones for everything.
A cell phone in another room, with a dead battery, or on silent not only isn't a very effective alarm clock, it isn't a very effective phone when you oversleep and your work tries to call to wake you up!

I'm a 12 hour night shift worker and on my twin girls first day of school I overslept their pick up time. Talk about feeling like a lousy parent!!! Now you look like the drunk or druggie mom sleeping all day long!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter