When WDW re-opens: Price hike or lots of discounts??

When WDW re-open, do you expect a price hike or lots of discounts?

• Price hike

Votes: 115 27.1%
  • Lots of discounts

Votes: 309 72.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the UK WDTC site there is a lot of vacancies for mid to late December for Pop Century and at good prices too, cheaper than my trip in mid September. This is unheard of in recent times. It's very tempting to reschedule my trip until then, the only thing stopping me is the palaver of changing my flight.
As to what Disney will do will depend on consumer response. After 9/11 a trip to Disney was incredibly cheap with lots of freebies thrown in. I think it's a case of wait and see.

The way I see it 1/3 of the country will not be vacationing any time soon while 2/3 will be more likely to vacation.

In May 2021

I am not saying summer won't have things open in some capacity. I am simply pointing out until over 60% of the US gets COVID-19 or there is a vaccine you will not seeing things back to normal.

I wouldn't even doubt Disney could open resorts and limit park attendance to AP and Resort guests.

I think that Disney will experience high crowds for the first week, but, these will be the YouTubers and Instagrammers who will be filling their channels/pages with it all.
Once they have what they want and its down to regular vacationers I think the numbers will drop again.
And most of the social media people are locals I don't think the hotels will be particularly busy.
Just my personal view.

Discounts. People aren't going to flock to Disney. Sure, the locals and some APs - but Disney can't survive on them. We're going to be in a major recession, if not depression. Disney is going to be at the very bottom of the priority list for most.

As it has been said before - history sets precedent - after 9/11, during the last recession, they offered good discounts.

I'm hoping they offer a big promotion to try to reduce the fears of being in such a crowded place....like Year of a Million Dreams.

I'm hoping they offer a big promotion to try to reduce the fears of being in such a crowded place....like Year of a Million Dreams.

Hands down best promotional theme they ever did. We didn’t win a single thing but knowing it was possible added a whole new layer of magic to the parks.

I still think the CMs who got to hand out the prizes had one of the best roles in the parks.

Hands down best promotional theme they ever did. We didn’t win a single thing but knowing it was possible added a whole new layer of magic to the parks.

I still think the CMs who got to hand out the prizes had one of the best roles in the parks.

My DH & I won fast passes and YOAMD Mickey Ears!! The CM's were at the entrance of the Main St Train Station when we were exiting! It was such a magical promotion! Something like that would definitely distract anxious guests who are feeling unsure to go back.

There is no way they can sustain a price hike. The economy will be devastated.
I think the state of the world economy will drive Disney decisions more than their closing. If there are great deals to be had, I will for sure look into visiting sooner rather than later.

I believe Disney will take a wait and see approach. There is still so much about Covid-19 that is unknown, that I think Disney will be very cautious when reopening the parks. Disney doesn't want to be responsible for a massive outbreak that kills a great number of people. The bad PR from that could take years to overcome. I'm uncertain which it will be price hikes or discounts, just like the uncertainty that surrounds this virus. Time will tell.

I think there will be price hikes and they will operate with lower capacities. And I think there will be more paid after hours events. Many people will be wanting a getaway after this or to rebook their trips. I keep thinking I’d like to go later this year but when I think of “filling all of the DEAD space” in the room at the haunted mansion I change my mind. I just don’t think I’ll be ready to get packed in like sardines again any time soon.

My biggest concern is how this is going to change the face of Disney - both short term (for the next 1-2 years), and moving forward permanently. Not even just financially (if anything discounts would help), but I'm worried that so much of what made Disney, Disney, will cease to exist, at least for awhile. A silly, first world concern, and heck when this is all over, maybe we won't ever be able to afford another trip there so it will all be moot anyways, but as it stands now, we were planning on returning in some form June 2021, because we promised the kids. And... it makes me sad to think that the Disney we knew and loved may not be the Disney we find. Or even more sad, the realization that our trip last May, may very well have been our last one, and I'll never get to experience that again with the kids.

Disneyland is offering a discount for people who had rooms booked at Disneyland hotels between the closure and May 31. You have to call beginning tomorrow to find out what it is. We have a trip booked at the Disneyland Hotel beginning April 26, so I’ll be calling to see what deal they are doing. I personally think the hotels at DLR will take a pretty big hit.... I think locals who already have APs will flock to DLR in droves when it opens, but if this recession is as bad as they’re predicting, I just don’t think you’ll get the tourists. I agree that fear will play a role... we are locals and my husband has already told me we are NOT going on June 1. Ha. He knows me too well. There will be others like us. We may get lucky out here in California because our governor put the stay at home order in place early, and while our numbers are going up, they aren’t going up as rapidly as they thought. At least for now. 🙏 I think DLR will do a ticket deal for Southern California residents.

As far as WDW, I’d expect reduced entertainment and lots of empty hotel rooms, and the return of the 30-35% hotel discounts. It’s just not going to bounce back immediately and be like it was before this happened.

Yeah. We are conditioned right now to stay the hell away from people. Yeah just like spring break if disney opened there would be a ton of people who would show up but the general reaction would like the spring breakers "what the hell are those people thinking and why the heck is disney even open" so until Disney can open and not have those comments made they won't.

Bars and restauratns will have to open first. Then and only then can places like disney and sporting events and races and gatherings of thousands of people think to start back. If it isn't safe to go to a bar or restuarant by itself then disney is totally out.

That is why I see Disney springs opening first. Once you can start opening an entertainmet district like that things are looking up. Resorts only likely next and then parks as the tail end when everything else looks good.
I also think it will look REALLY REALLY bad for Disney to open normally while doctors and nurses are still dying.

Edited to add: It might be good PR to offer deeply discounted trips to healthcare workers who were on the front lines.

Last edited:
Not even Disney is immune from economics. You cannot just raise prices without demand to support it.

I imagine that mid summer to early fall bookings will be strong at both Disney Parks and Disney Cruises. There are a lot of people who have obviously rescheduled their trips. However, the longer this goes on, the more cancellations that you will see either because of fear or because many people will have lost their jobs and will no longer be able to afford a vacation.

I think the biggest problem is that no one really knows when this is going to end. It's really difficult to plan anything when if you're wrong then you literally have 0 demand and if you're right about the date then you still really don't know just how badly it is going to be.

Not even Disney is immune from economics. You cannot just raise prices without demand to support it.

I imagine that mid summer to early fall bookings will be strong at both Disney Parks and Disney Cruises. There are a lot of people who have obviously rescheduled their trips. However, the longer this goes on, the more cancellations that you will see either because of fear or because many people will have lost their jobs and will no longer be able to afford a vacation.

I think the biggest problem is that no one really knows when this is going to end. It's really difficult to plan anything when if you're wrong then you literally have 0 demand and if you're right about the date then you still really don't know just how badly it is going to be.
Aloha,

Who in their right mind would dare go on board any cruise until we have a good working vaccine?

Aloha,

Who in their right mind would dare go on board any cruise until we have a good working vaccine?

Have to agree, I would not even think of doing a cruise and I know a couple that go on at least 3 or 4 a year. They just came back from one just before this hit. Told me they canceled there July cruise and have no plans on future cruises for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter