When were you completely AWED by something at Disney?

The first time I witnessed the "Kiss Good Night"
Our First time we stayed as DVC members. OKW 2BR Thinking dam this place is huge.

Watching Main Street Electrical Parade at age 50 in WDW...and remembering clearly how much I loved it when I was a child in Disneyland. I will really miss that parade our next trip January 2018 pixiedust:

the new soarin ride amazed me. Took my 4 year old niece a couple of months later and saw the magic in her eyes.

Being the Chairman of a business conference being held there, where the Disney staff hosting me and my team surprised us after we ate dinner at Epcot. They took us right to the center area of the World Showcase waterfront and lead us through a gate and down a path to a "VIP terrace" area (which is below and hard to see from public area above ). It had an open bar, great desert setup and seating with an absolutely perfect view of IllumiNations.

071210148-M.jpg

So many things but the one thing that is burnt in my memory and left me speechless was the Mayor of Disney world. He came in to the Plaza Restaurant this past September and made my 6 year old and my 3 year old Mayor for the day! He was announced and then he called out both their names! We were like what?? My 3 year old wanted nothing to do with it lol but my 6 year old loved it! It totally blew all of our minds! The perks we got all day were amazing! We got free mickey bars, moved over to the FP line, cast members were giving us paper FP's, everyone would say " Hey miss Mayor" Best day ever!

MK_MAGCMMNTS_20170908_404774901344 - Copysmall.jpg MK_MAGCMMNTS_20170908_404774901327small.jpg MK_MAGCMMNTS_20170908_404774901336small.jpg MK_MAGCMMNTS_20170908_404774901338small.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man, great thread. I was born and raised in California, but lived in Florida for a bit, so I have a lot of great memories, but my favorites:

1) The "Halloween Screams" Disneyland parade on Halloween day is just the best thing ever. The fireworks, projections, and Jack Skellington's voice blow me away every time. The first time I saw the parade, I was definitely awed by it.

2) Another posted mentioned this but it's true for me as well: The Osbourne Lights display in Hollywood Studios were the most awe-inspiring Christmas display I'd ever seen. My sister and I, both in our late 20's, couldn't close our gleeful mouths when it started snowing as we walked through the display of lights in 2015. Magical isn't a big enough word for what that felt like.

I agree about the Osborne lights. We saw it during its last run in 2015 and I was completely blown away... Moved to tears, actually. I hope they bring it back some day. I'm looking forward to Jingle Bell Jingle Bam and the new holiday event at HS, but I'm sure it won't be the same.

There are so many others, but I'll try to pick the ones that stand out the most...

- watching my kids' faces at the Main Street Electrical Parade... Pure joy! Huge smiles and the lights were reflecting in their eyes.

- sitting on a boat in the middle of the lagoon with my sister watching the MNSSHP fireworks after a dinner at Narccoossee's... Priceless!

- my first time on Soarin' was awesome, and I can't wait to try the new version in 13 days!

- DiVine at AK... So beautiful and unexpected. I hadn't read about her before our trip so she was a quite a surprise coming out of the trees.

Now I REALLY can't wait for our trip!

Cinderella Castle lit up for Christmas. When my sister and I went one year over New Years Eve she had to keep pulling me away because I would just stop and stare in awe.

My first Halloween party
First time seeing Cinderella castle with the holiday lights
Osborne family lights
Radiator Springs Racers
World of Color
Great Movie Ride- Wizard of Oz scene

Agreed on Cinderella Castle with the holiday lights. The first time I saw it, I couldn't stop staring at it! I remember thinking, "I want to live there!"

Candlelight Processional. Just phenomenal - the sounds, the views, the feeling. Can't wait to see it this year w/NPH.

The magical moments my 9 year old dd experienced on a recent trip. A cm came up to her at the sweet shop on Main Street and gifted her a giant Mickey cookie the size of her face. We stepped on a bus later that day and she was announced as Princess Jasmin. Everyone clapped. We visited DL a few years ago and she really wanted to ride Big thunder but we weren’t able to ride it there due to time constraints. She had been talking about riding it for a couple of years. This time at DW, it rained all day that day and big thunder had to shut down so we missed our fast pass. We came back later that evening and told the cm what happened. Not only did they let us automatically get in the fast pass line, but they allowed my DH to ride who had no fast pass. My daughter was elated when we got the front car and she rode in the front row by herself. As the ride started , the fireworks started going off! It was amazing, she was screaming”Mommy! , it’s just like in the commercials!”.

When I unwillingly had to change my week at Poly to a 4/3 split at Poly/AKL to save $1200 so we could still do our trip for my birthday last year after something came up, I was dreading it because I just knew I'd hate AKL because AK is my least favorite park. Well we walked into the lobby (ok, more like drug myself into the lobby) after leaving the Poly and I was absolutely awestruck by how beautifully themed the lobby was. And then we got up to our standard view room and realized it had an amazing view and there were giraffes feeding right outside our room (our standard view room was one that overlooked the "people pens"). I could've spend the rest of that trip on that balcony and been fine. The activities available all day for the kids were pretty amazing too. I found myself in love with AKL and liked it as much or maybe more than the Poly.

Oh, and seeing the Osborne Lights for the first time (and last unfortunately) in 2014. There are no words to describe the magic.

Love this thread! Here are my top 10, in no particular order:

1. Walking down Main Street at MK - each and every time I enter that park. My favorite place in the world (and I don't just mean WDW).
2. How helpful the CMs were when I completely wiped out after tripping into the 7 Dwarfs' wheelbarrel because I was so excited to get a family picture with all 7 at the start of a MVMCP. (And how cute Bashful was too.) And there was blood everywhere. Luckily the picture was worth it!
3. Meeting Mickey for the first time at age 7. (And 17, and every time since.)
4. DD1 discovering her love for the characters during her first visit. Particularly her interactions with Mickey, Pooh and Tigger.
5. How nice the CMs were when DD 2 threw up all over one of their pack N plays. They were so concerned about how she was and got us a new one ASAP.
5. DD2 discovering her love for the characters during her first visit. She was so sad when she initially spotted Mickey as he was going back stage, but he turned back around and threw her a kiss.
6. Checking into Aulani and having them all say "Welcome Home." (We were there on rented DVC points!)
7. Original Soarin
8. DD1 meeting her favorite character at age 2. Jo Jo from Jo Jo Circus. And since we did this at rope drop, DD had at least 10 minutes all alone with her. They danced and twirled and hugged. Pure joy on her face.
9. The snow at Osborne Lights!
10. Snow White trying to get DD 2 to smile (this was the day before 5, but we didn't know she was sick yet).

• Riding Big Thunder during MNSSHP, in my costume... the tutu filled the car and flounced around in the breeze giving me the giggles. Plus riding in the dark is always more magical.
  • Riding Magic Carpets during the fire works over the Castle... totally unexpected as I was just walking by and there was no line so I hoped on.
  • Attending a private after hours party and being able to enjoy Osborne Lights with just 200 others in attendance.
  • Sitting on the edge of the fountain in Germany and sharing a pretzel with my Nephew at twilight when the exterior lights all started to come on.
  • Strolling back to France at RD for breakfast with no one else around.

So me it's so many of the little things that get me, the castle and the rides and everything are great but I figured they would be great. My son was so afraid of mascots at hockey games and stuff like that, that when we took him when he was 2&1/2 to wdw we weren't sure how it was going to go because of all of the characters, we did mickeys backyard BBQ and they had a dance with all of the characters and goofy opened his arms tommy son for a hug and there was a initial pause and then my son went in for the biggest hug, melted my heart. Everyone said we were crazy to take a two year old because they aren't going to remember it but I think it was one of the best vacays we could have taken him on, we go every other year and we leave in 76 days for his third trip at age 6.

Disney magical express is another thing that I love, I don't want to spend anymore time in the airport then I have to and I hate rental cars so it works perfectly. Some others in the complaint post have said they don't like the busses but I love them. We stay at pop and there never seems to be a lack of busses for that resort and it saves the hassle of the rental car and paying for parking and the trams and the waiting in traffic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!