When were you left underwhelmed by something at Disney?

I don't really vacation other places besides Disney (staying mostly in deluxe), where I stay in a hotel. Is it a common theme that service in Disney hotels are poor?

This seems to be a common theme on these boards, and wondering if maybe giving off property stays a try might be worth it.

I don't really vacation other places besides Disney (staying mostly in deluxe), where I stay in a hotel. Is it a common theme that service in Disney hotels are poor?

This seems to be a common theme on these boards, and wondering if maybe giving off property stays a try might be worth it.
It's poor for the price you can end up paying, I personally still think it's worth it to stay on property for convenience and theme.

When I stay at a Disney run hotel my expectation for value is just lowered, the best of Disney service still runs about twice the price it should..we like to call it the Disney Tax.

I always like to say spending money at Disney has diminishing returns, at first it gets you a lot...but toward the upper end the more you spend it really gets you close to nothing more.

It's for that reason I'm now Okay with Renting points..but you wont find me paying normal price to stay at a Deluxe. (with the exception of DLR due to limited availability)

Last trip we ate at Jinkos and were excited since we had heard so many good things. The service was good, the food just o.k. and way overpriced for what we got. We don't mind paying for a good meal, heck I spent $90 last night at Olive Garden so obviously we don't mind paying for an even o.k. meal but we were just meh about it. The same with Sanaa except we had the worst service I've ever had at Disney, my son had to send back a drink - which is unheard of, and the food was just meh, my son and his then wife didn't even eat half of theirs so it wasn't even good to them. They had a similar type restaurant where they lived in Chicago and were really looking forward to it.

Other than those two meals, we are rarely left underwhelmed by the house of the mouse, we just enjoy being there.

CRT is a huge disappointment. It is CINDERELLA'S CASTLE. The food and service should be top notch. It's not. They serve odd food considering a bunch of kids are eating there. The place isn't decked out in luxury like I felt it should have been. Just a total waste of space.
The space at Cinderella's Castle as a whole is severely misused. It's just a restaurant and a hair salon! I wish it was like Swiss Family Robinson where we can walk through the castle and see all the rooms!

The service isn't exactly poor. It's just that I've stayed at 5 star hotels in major cities for the same price or LESS, and the service in those places is often exquisite. And additionally, in most of those hotels, you have better amenities- better pool, or spa, better bar or restaurant that you would not have trouble getting a reservation at because a guest would have priority over a nonguest. A concierge that can probably get a table at a better restaurant than anything on Disney property.

I suppose it would depend on what you consider good location as well. A deluxe hotel in a desirable Paris neighborhood gives you access to that desirable Paris neighborhood. A deluxe hotel at Disney gives you access to...the Monorail which will take you to a Disney park. I love Disney but to me it is a theme park resort. It's no Paris, if that makes any sense. I don't mind paying $500+ a night for a Paris hotel, but I don't see the same value in doing the same at Disney.

I do love the theme thing, though, I'll admit that. And that's probably the only reason I'd go for deluxe at Disney.

The service isn't exactly poor. It's just that I've stayed at 5 star hotels in major cities for the same price or LESS, and the service in those places is often exquisite. And additionally, in most of those hotels, you have better amenities- better pool, or spa, better bar or restaurant that you would not have trouble getting a reservation at because a guest would have priority over a nonguest. A concierge that can probably get a table at a better restaurant than anything on Disney property.

I suppose it would depend on what you consider good location as well. A deluxe hotel in a desirable Paris neighborhood gives you access to that desirable Paris neighborhood. A deluxe hotel at Disney gives you access to...the Monorail which will take you to a Disney park. I love Disney but to me it is a theme park resort. It's no Paris, if that makes any sense. I don't mind paying $500+ a night for a Paris hotel, but I don't see the same value in doing the same at Disney.

I do love the theme thing, though, I'll admit that. And that's probably the only reason I'd go for deluxe at Disney.

I appreciate your response!! A couple of other people have said what you sort of mention with the monorail stop in that they're are diminishing returns as you pay more and more.

I appreciate your response!! A couple of other people have said what you sort of mention with the monorail stop in that they're are diminishing returns as you pay more and more.

Eh. The diminished returns is something that is debated a lot. But I'm one of the few people who just don't consider the monorail a perk, and never have. The thing with Wdw is that it's so spread out that the monorail might give you (crowded, hot) transportation to 2 parks but you'll still be bussing to the two parks that aren't on the monorail. So if you visit all four parks once, you're paying a lot of money for an amenity you only can use 50% of the time. Just my opinion. So I don't really understand when people cite the monorail as a reason to stay at one of the monorail deluxes.

Ohana breakfast is very salty in my opinion, the food is meh, but we like the characters. BOG lunch was nothing to write home about.

BOG dinner. There was only like 1 or 2 things I could eat for dinner due to allergies so I just wasn't impressed I will stick to lunch if I want to go.

I am going to say something that may be unpopular, but 7DMT. I expected so much more (height, speed, dips, loops?), but it's just another coaster. It is very smooth, but to me, just not that exciting. Maybe I was just expecting too much and I will keep riding it, I was just underwhelmed.
I'm think "just another coaster" may be too much praise. I mean, its like ... a lite coaster-lite. LITE.

I agree with the OP about 'Ohana. It was one of our worst meals, the absolute worst being Mama Melrose. CRT was another one that I found underwhelming. It was neat to be able to eat in the castle but not worth the price for sure! One last experience that comes to mind was at DLR. They had a Frozen Pre show party. While it was nice to be able to choose our seats before the masses entered the theatre, the party itself was less than stellar. Snow cones, popcorn colouring pages and photo spots with no characters. The whole room just looked thrown together. I notice they don't offer it anymore. Perhaps I'm not the only one who didn't think it was worth the price?

CRT is a huge disappointment. It is CINDERELLA'S CASTLE. The food and service should be top notch. It's not. They serve odd food considering a bunch of kids are eating there.

The portions were super small and the food wasn't good. My girls left hungry because they thought the food was disgusting. They aren't picky eaters either. That was the only time they complained during a meal the entire week we were there.

I agree!! I was so excited to eat in the castle last time, and I was practically giddy as they led us to our table- I mean we were in CINDERELLA's CASTLE!! Interaction was really great but the food was not - and my son (7 at the time) was left ridiculously hungry. When we asked if we could get him additional food, they said we'd have to pay the entire per person fee again to get a second mickey waffle or piece of toast. I couldn't believe they didn't have the ability to add a side order or something. So... been there, seen that, not going back.

Sci-Fi Dinner. Went once on a solo trip and while the theming was nice the food was not so great (I still make faces when I think about that steak). Haven't been back.

I was super disappointed in the front desk staff at AKL on our last trip. The guests who stayed in our room before us got sick in the room and I complained 3 times about the vomit smell before they actually cleaned the entire carpet. But the disappointment for me was that we didn't get so much as an, "I'm sorry for the inconvenience" from the front desk staff.

Ohana for dinner, everyone raves about it so I was excited when I got an ADR. Afterwards my not fussy at all DH told me to never book it again, he loves meat but thought the skewers were gross. SDMT was so hyped and I found it to be the most boring roller coaster in all of WDW, even the barnstormer is better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!