When Will People Start Camping Out at WDW for SWGE Opening?

When Will People Start Camping Out at WDW for SWGE Opening? This is means with Disney's permission.

• 5am 8/29

Votes: 24 9.8%
  • 3am 8/29

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Midnight 8/29

Votes: 66 26.9%
  • 9pm 8/28

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • 5pm 8/28

Votes: 18 7.3%
  • Morning 8/28

Votes: 29 11.8%
  • Sometime on 8/27

Votes: 62 25.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The camping out will be done outside the entrance. DHS has the advantage that it has that entire walkway that goes all the way to the Epcot resorts so it can hold a lot of people. Once the park opens, other than Grand Av, they could use the area around Echo Lake to corral people as well. So it could be done effectively and safely with a little planning, it's not like it's never been done before in the same park
When has it been done before?

When has it been done before?
Like I've posted before here and on other threads, during Star Wars Weekends, some would stay over night, some would get there around midnight , some would show up around 4am. You would see small tents, but mostly lounge chairs, beach chairs, sleeping bags, towels, etc. Then at sunrise we would all take all of our stuff back to the car while other people held our spots

Like I've posted before here and on other threads, during Star Wars Weekends, some would stay over night, some would get there around midnight , some would show up around 4am. You would see small tents, but mostly lounge chairs, beach chairs, sleeping bags, towels, etc. Then at sunrise we would all take all of our stuff back to the car while other people held our spots
Thanks!

people either get it or they don't and that's ok

Whenever someone posts this - and I have read it several times recently, it makes me cringe a bit.

More or less, everyone posting here has been to WDW, at a bare minimum, we know what it means to stand in line, no?

I'm reminded a little of President H. W. Bush, and his famous aversion to broccoli. Approximately mid-way through his presidency he declared he was old enough and had enough presidential authority to declare that he'd never be bullied into eating broccoli again. It was humorous, but also had a little edge. Who was forcing him to eat broccoli?

I mean put this statement into the context of an autistic child who is unable to wait outside all night.

Last edited:
Whenever someone posts this - and I have read it several times recently, it makes me cringe a bit.

More or less, everyone posting here has been to WDW, at a bare minimum, we know what it means to stand in line, no?

I'm reminded a little of President H. W. Bush, and his famous aversion to broccoli. Approximately mid-way through his presidency he declared he was old enough and had enough presidential authority to declare that he'd never be bullied into eating broccoli again. It was humorous, but also had a little edge. Who was forcing him to eat broccoli?

I mean put this statement into the context of an autistic child who is unable to wait outside all night.
You took only the very last sentence of my whole post taking it out of context.
Please explain plainly what's your point

I talked with security and coordinator of security a couple of days ago, they have no current plans to allow or deny camping out. I believe they are probably going to wait until DL opens. Like I've said in this thread a couple of times, we were allowed to camp out during SWW, that was every year, for 4 weekends (last couple of years was 6 weekends) so it's not new to them.
And I agree with you, there is nothing like the sense of community you get while camping out with fellow SW fans, people either get it or they don't and that's ok

Here's the entire post.

It is the phrasing of the last sentence I find a little cringe worthy,

Here's the entire post.

It is the phrasing of the last sentence I find a little cringe worthy,

I understand what he was getting at. Either you understand the kinship that goes with fandom, and the collective excitement that can generate....or you don't (and so camping out wouldn't make sense to you). I would say it's the same thing with tailgating before football games....either you get it (because you are in the fandom) or you don't. I'm in the latter camp, I don't see the appeal of hanging out in a parking lot in New England when it's cold outside....but I know LOTS of people who do it on a regular basis with glee :)

It would be much better to say some people enjoy camping (and/or attending SW events), and some people don't.

You like camping out; other folks don't. Both are opinions, and both opinions are equally valid.

Saying someone doesn't get it, suggests they aren't smart enough to know what they like (or would like).

Saying someone doesn't get it, suggests they aren't smart enough to know what they like (or would like).

That's your interpretation - but I didn't take it that way at all. Intelligence and personal preference - heck even relative intelligence and understanding of a specific fandom - have nothing to do with one another.

I understand what he was getting at. Either you understand the kinship that goes with fandom, and the collective excitement that can generate....or you don't (and so camping out wouldn't make sense to you). I would say it's the same thing with tailgating before football games....either you get it (because you are in the fandom) or you don't. I'm in the latter camp, I don't see the appeal of hanging out in a parking lot in New England when it's cold outside....but I know LOTS of people who do it on a regular basis with glee :)

I happen to think your opinion of tailgating is just as valid as the folks who enjoy it.

Tailgating fans are free to enjoy their experience, and you are free to enjoy your cozy indoor experience.

I think you just proved my point.

Even though you don't personally enjoy tailgating, you were still able to explain why other folks do enjoy it.

I happen to think your opinion of tailgating is just as valid as the folks who enjoy it.

Tailgating fans are free to enjoy their experience, and you are free to enjoy your cozy indoor experience.

I think you just proved my point.

Even though you don't personally enjoy tailgating, you were still able to explain why other folks do enjoy it.

I actually have NO IDEA why they enjoy it lol. To me there is literally nothing appealing about it - but for my friends who tailgate, they LIVE for it during football season. Everyone is free to enjoy what they enjoy and avoid what they don't - that doesn't make me understand one choice over another, all it does is highlight that when you're "in it", you "get it", and it's totally ok if you don't get it :)

It would be much better to say some people enjoy camping (and/or attending SW events), and some people don't.

You like camping out; other folks don't. Both are opinions, and both opinions are equally valid.

you're grasping at straws. Getting something or not getting it has nothing to do with intelligence. To each their own on how to take things but my point obviously came across when other people understood what I was talking about

I didn't take it that way either. Some people just "don't get" Disney fandom. Doesn't mean they aren't smart enough.

I "don't get" Harry Potter fans. I "don't get" sports teams devotion. I "don't get" tailgating. That doesn't suggest I'm not smart enough to know they like those things - it only means I don't get (or understand) it.

I didn't get the camping out for a movie until I did it - now I do. I still don't get camping out for a product (like an iPhone). I do not think that suggests I think they are not smart enough to know what they like or don't like.

Perhaps others are interpreting the phrase differently than I did.

Stage Trek, I see the point you are making.

Even still, for myself, I'd likely say I didn't appreciate XXX until I tried it.

and your point was about trying something new, that's slightly different.

If say, I brought my spouse to WDW many times, and he said he didn't like WDW. I would not tell him that he didn't "get" WDW.

If I did, he'd feel insulted.

Getting something or not getting it has nothing to do with intelligence.

Webster's slightly disagrees. One of the definitions of get is to "understand."

And the example given is, "He got the joke."

Perhaps I should have started there.

Wow, how on earth do you make THAT leap..................................

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!