When Will People Start Camping Out at WDW for SWGE Opening?

When Will People Start Camping Out at WDW for SWGE Opening? This is means with Disney's permission.

• 5am 8/29

Votes: 24 9.8%
  • 3am 8/29

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Midnight 8/29

Votes: 66 26.9%
  • 9pm 8/28

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • 5pm 8/28

Votes: 18 7.3%
  • Morning 8/28

Votes: 29 11.8%
  • Sometime on 8/27

Votes: 62 25.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an interesting thread. I had no intention on even seeing star wars land until summer 2020, but after the opening date was announced for my birthday (aug 29th) my mother offered to come from out of town to watch the kids so the wife and I could go for a 4 day weekend trip. So now I am doing my due diligence and trying to decide if this is something I even want to attempt.

I keep reading the reports of sww camping. I never camped for autographs but I did show up around 5-6am for our sww days for 3 years in a row. My son and I were first to chewy on sww opening day 2 years in a row. My son and my mother met Yulilin and her daughter dressed as sabine the last year we went along with a few other disboard members. Pretty much everyone that camped were for autographs so I sorta feel like this is a bad example for how they could control the crowd with camping. That was limited to a couple hundred people that got the wristbands. I remember walking by all these people when I got there and pretty much strutted right up to the turnstiles. I have a feeling there will be more people camping for star wars land than for sww autographs. Saying that, the question I have is how early will one need to get in line to be able to get into star wars land on opening day at rope drop. If Yulilin says midnight, I assume she believes that is early enough to be safe. I am just not sure my wife is up for that.

I was also at disney last year when toy story land opened. We showed up for rope drop on opening day about an hour early and the park was already open. They did an early open for anyone that was there with no announcement, park hours were never changed to reflect when they opened. Wouldn't surprise me if they did the same to help with the bottleneck they will create with so many people camping and showing up early in the morning.
SWW :sad::sad1::sad: I remember our weekend meets at ABC Commissary, so fun
It is really going to depend on a couple of things:
Will Disney implement a reservation system to get into SWGE? They have said no but they could easily change their minds
Will Disney come out and say camping out will NOT be permitted. Then when and where will people get "in line" outside of the park
Will Disney come out and say camping out WILL be permitted, All bets are off on that one, I have friends saying they will be there for days before
I believe it will depend on how well SWGE opening day and week goes over at DL. I'm saying midnight now because we have no information but you can believe that my plan will change along with Disney's announcements

You are missing the social part of camping out. It is only partially about being "first" - it is mostly about the experience. Being with friends and meeting new ones who share the same interest.

There are two groups (that I know of) here in California already planning a 7 to 10 day "line up" for the opening day. They are in talks with Disney management and security to work out the details.
Wow, good to know. I can't enjoy the social part of camping. I'm too old for it. Back before I was too old for it, I was too young for it.

SWW :sad::sad1::sad: I remember our weekend meets at ABC Commissary, so fun
It is really going to depend on a couple of things:
Will Disney implement a reservation system to get into SWGE? They have said no but they could easily change their minds
Will Disney come out and say camping out will NOT be permitted. Then when and where will people get "in line" outside of the park
Will Disney come out and say camping out WILL be permitted, All bets are off on that one, I have friends saying they will be there for days before
I believe it will depend on how well SWGE opening day and week goes over at DL. I'm saying midnight now because we have no information but you can believe that my plan will change along with Disney's announcements

Yea I miss sww, I was pretty upset when the cancelled them. The new star wars stuff is cool and fun to see but its just not the same as seeing so many guests and fans all dressed up and having a good time. My son was also pretty young at the time so we mostly did character meets and just took everything in. I wish they were still around as I think being older he would have likes some of the celebrity shows and events.

I will def be keeping an eye on any announcements, but at this point I am just trying to decide if I want to plan a trip exclusively for SWGE opening. I completely expect there to be some camping out, just sorta wondering if camping is going to be required or if a few hours will be enough. I am thinking more like 3-4am is something my wife may tolerate, but if that's not early enough I am not sure I even want to plan the trip.

There are two groups (that I know of) here in California already planning a 7 to 10 day "line up" for the opening day. They are in talks with Disney management and security to work out the details.

As far as I can understand, you are NOT ALLOWED into Disneyland Star Wars without a reservation during the first weeks:

"So determined are Disney officials to keep crowds at a level where everyone can move around and enjoy the surroundings, they're making it clear that those without reservations — which are required during the first three weeks — will not be allowed in."

I got it from this website:
https://www.azcentral.com/story/tra...-wars-land-star-wars-galaxys-edge/3279571002/

Doesn't that mean you can't camp at all? For Disneyland's GE at least? And likely for WDW also, once they see how packed DSL gets?

Last edited:
Got some stuff for y'all.
1) I didn't go to Toy story land opening day but from the videos / live streams that I watched, there weren't many people actually camping out.
2) I don't think Disney will allow people to camp out "inside" theme park property, so like yulilin3 said, people will most likely camp out along the epcot resorts trail that is further away from the park.
3) My family will personally be getting there around 6 if they let us in the parking lot.
4) I don't think they will opt for the reservation system. Mostly because Disneyland park is a very popular park with semi-limited space and really needs the crowd control. On the other hand, WDW tourists have 3 other parks to go to, and Hollywood Studios has more walking space, even with grand avenues wide queue path.
5) do they allow capes in the parks? I have a Darth Vader Cape from an old Halloween costume that I might wear.

1) I didn't go to Toy story land opening day but from the videos / live streams that I watched, there weren't many people actually camping out.
2) I don't think Disney will allow people to camp out "inside" theme park property, so like yulilin3 said, people will most likely camp out along the epcot resorts trail that is further away from the park.
3) My family will personally be getting there around 6 if they let us in the parking lot.
4) I don't think they will opt for the reservation system. Mostly because Disneyland park is a very popular park with semi-limited space and really needs the crowd control. On the other hand, WDW tourists have 3 other parks to go to, and Hollywood Studios has more walking space, even with grand avenues wide queue path.
5) do they allow capes in the parks? I have a Darth Vader Cape from an old Halloween costume that I might wear.
from the Disney guidelines
Capes may be worn if the length does not go below the waist.

From what I've read, it sounds like they are still planning on limiting the number of people going into SWGE at HS. At DL, they have the reservation system. They haven't released any information on how they will limit it at HS. Maybe they don't know yet or its far enough away that they aren't worried? Maybe they will see how the reservation system works at DL and implement something like it at WDW?

If allowed, I do believe you will see a lot of people camping out the night before along the walkway from the EPCOT resorts.

As someone who is paying for a room at the Yacht Club in September I wouldn’t appreciate campers along the boardwalk. I really hope that Disney comes up with a better way to handle entry into SWGE that won’t lessen the Disney experience of folks who specifically scheduled a trip in September to avoid the late 2019 opening of SWGE. I wouldn’t enjoy evening strolls along the boardwalk with campers and their gear strewn about. I know that SW fans will hate this perspective but SWGE opening shouldn’t be allowed to spoil the enjoyment of a boardwalk resort area stay that was scheduled way before this early opening.

From what I've read, it sounds like they are still planning on limiting the number of people going into SWGE at HS. At DL, they have the reservation system. They haven't released any information on how they will limit it at HS. Maybe they don't know yet or its far enough away that they aren't worried? Maybe they will see how the reservation system works at DL and implement something like it at WDW?

If allowed, I do believe you will see a lot of people camping out the night before along the walkway from the EPCOT resorts.
I mean they have to limit the people going into SWGE, the land has a set capacity and they can't go over that, as to how is what remains to be seen.

I mean they have to limit the people going into SWGE, the land has a set capacity and they can't go over that, as to how is what remains to be seen.
Yeah, but shouldn't that kill the camping spirit? If only a set number receive previously allocated reservations and only reservations are allowed in, doesn't that render camping useless?

As someone who is paying for a room at the Yacht Club in September I wouldn’t appreciate campers along the boardwalk. I really hope that Disney comes up with a better way to handle entry into SWGE that won’t lessen the Disney experience of folks who specifically scheduled a trip in September to avoid the late 2019 opening of SWGE. I wouldn’t enjoy evening strolls along the boardwalk with campers and their gear strewn about. I know that SW fans will hate this perspective but SWGE opening shouldn’t be allowed to spoil the enjoyment of a boardwalk resort area stay that was scheduled way before this early opening.
I understand why you are worried about that. I will be at BWI on August 29th and I rather look forward to seeing a bunch of Star Wars people camped all the way to DHS. I have never seen such a thing in my life. But yeah, if you are not into Star Wars it might not look so cute.

However, I am assuming that camping is going to happen on August 28th only. People wouldn't still be camping in September, would they?

I understand why you are worried about that. I will be at BWI on August 29th and I rather look forward to seeing a bunch of Star Wars people camped all the way to DHS. I have never seen such a thing in my life. But yeah, if you are not into Star Wars it might not look so cute.

However, I am assuming that camping is going to happen on August 28th only. People wouldn't still be camping in September, would they?
I hope not.

This is why I don't think they will use the walkway from the resort area for camping. It's not wide enough, there's no reason to keep a line in place while camping.
There's plenty of other areas they can use for camping, if they decide to allow it. And lots of ways to implement the order needed.
They've got the gating system used to make corals for races, just pull one of those over and set it up in a far corner of the parking lot and let folks camp there. Keep it from starting till oh, the 28th or so, to keep it from interfering with parking for more than a day. Use a system followed in many other locations where you issue a numbered wrist band as folks arrive so you know line up order for opening day. That way, the camping part can be just whatever, you just have to have someone there or you lose your spot.
Numerous places use systems like this, the best is K-ville at Duke for basketball games (http://assets.ctfassets.net/esz7g0v...6dfac14840f78697/Policy_Overview_LFG.docx.pdf want to read their policy, it's a great overview on how to make this work, they have it down to a science), several school system's lottery for magnet schools, places like Game Stop or Best Buy for a huge game release have done it. Even Book Stores when Harry Potter books came out.

Last edited:
Good point about your reservation at YC.

I could care less about any thing with SWGE but I will like to see/read about the fans and the openings of the lands in Florida/California.

2) No, it's certain people will not be allowed to camp inside theme park property. Wherever camping is allowed, if allowed, it will be outside the gates of the park
3) As established already, parking lots never close so you will be allowed in the parking lot. Just a word of note, 6:00 may be cutting it quite close if they go with a 7 AM EMH. Folks there at 6:00 did make it into Pandora on opening day but were in the back of the line. I'd expect GE to be exceptionally more crowded.

So what about the days following opening day? We get to Disney 8/31, I'm planning 2 DHS days, 1 just for SWGE. Wed 9/4-I'm setting this entire day for SWGE. I know I'll have to wait to see how they are handling the lines, but I'm wondering how early I should be planning to be there. Assuming they will do EMH like they did for TSL, should we be there at 5? 6? Guess we just don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter