When will Riviera resales be available

As RIV gets closer to being complete and the gondolas start to prove their worth (Or not) this will help sell the resort. If Disney holds off on direct price increases this may also make people direct prior to direct price increases next Jan (Assuming they continue increasing in Jan).

Those of you adding on at RIV are you simply doing a small contract for standard studios or are you purchasing enough for preferred studios?
We did a small contract for standard studios for now.

I will admit that when I first heard about the resale restrictions, I was hoping to pick up some distressed RIV resale in 2020 to use for RIV only, as we have plenty of unrestricted points. Then pixie dust + FOMO + seeing the rooms and Skyliner running IRL changed my view. :crazy:

Taking a step back, though, I didn't see the resale prices being worth the tradeoffs any time soon, so we ended up buying direct. Tradeoffs being: having to wait 1-2 more years to see how resale prices settle, plus wait time on ROFR, potentially buying a stripped contract, prolonged closing time. The restriction on staying somewhere else on those points didn't bother me that much because I have unrestricted points and direct benefits already, so I didn't think that saving a few thousand $ was worth the multi-year wait. (And what if resales are priced at $150 pp for a 200 point contract, which one could get direct for $167 pp now? Is it really worth saving $3400 over 2 years? I could probably rent 1 year's worth of points for about that amount.) Plus we did actually have a need for more points before I thought we'd see a reasonably-priced resale out there.

(I'd be interested to hear if anyone would analyze this differently.)

Yes this was a big part of why we bought Riviera direct. Was having a hard time articulating this but you did it well!

Resale contracts will become available as new owners decide that what they bought isn't what they expected.

:earsboy: Bill

January, 2020? Really? That's only one month after the resort opens! :)

But contracts will have been owned and payments required for approx 10 months by that time. There's another resort where the first resale listing happened before it even opened. I would be more surprised if it didn't happen by Jan.

But contracts will have been owned and payments required for approx 10 months by that time. There's another resort where the first resale listing happened before it even opened. I would be more surprised if it didn't happen by Jan.
Maybe another survey is in order!

Out of curiosity - which resort?

I didn't think about that... I bet the first resale is out there before the end of summer...

I can’t wait for when the resales pop up they are being listed at $165 per point. I feel strongly that Disney is going to expand the skyliner and this dvc resort is going to be in prime position to realize these benefits (this transportation means is the main reason I purchased here).

While I don’t think the monorail resorts will ever lose their appeal, this transportation mechanism will be game-changing for the resort as a whole.

I have no inside information but I would not be surprised to see phase 2 of the skyliner be announced at d-23 this summer.

I have no inside information but I would not be surprised to see phase 2 of the skyliner be announced at d-23 this summer.
Where do you anticipate phase 2 would be going to? Disney won't do anything that doesn't make them money. Possibly the new star wars hotel would be considered, or Reflections but that area is already served by boat transportation, but other than that I don't see any value for Disney in extending the skyliner.

Where do you anticipate phase 2 would be going to? Disney won't do anything that doesn't make them money. Possibly the new star wars hotel would be considered, or Reflections but that area is already served by boat transportation, but other than that I don't see any value for Disney in extending the skyliner.

Several reliable insiders over at WDWMagic have said that this is it for the Skyliner. There are other long-term plans to expand non-bus transportation (to AK and elsewhere) but it's not gondolas or monorail. Likely funicular rail or plain light rail.

Looking at the map of where the skyliner is, I don't see any viable "expansion" of that line. I could see a separate skyliner being built for the various All Star resorts to AK and DHS, using Blizzard Beach as a 2 way hub. That leaves AKL as an orphan containing only bus transportation, though, hardly a desirable choice given that it is a deluxe resort.

There has been speculation of extending to Disney Springs. The use of Gondola systems has always been about trying to clear up traffic congestion and eliminate the costs of Buses/Bus drivers (i.e. salaries). So if the bean counters can make a case that it is more cost efficient to run Gondola to Animal Kingdom, you can bet it will happen. My personal guess is they will wait to see how this first phase works before any additional expansions are considered.

There has been speculation of extending to Disney Springs. The use of Gondola systems has always been about trying to clear up traffic congestion and eliminate the costs of Buses/Bus drivers (i.e. salaries). So if the bean counters can make a case that it is more cost efficient to run Gondola to Animal Kingdom, you can bet it will happen. My personal guess is they will wait to see how this first phase works before any additional expansions are considered.

I agree. If it works well, they’ll figure out a way to expand it if it is cost effective to build more. We won’t know for 5-10 years though. It’ll depend on the current system’s success, the economy, new resorts being built, etc.

My thought is an expansion to animal kingdom or Disney springs is next in order to reduce bus expense (with a possible stop at both water parks along the way).

If the cost of the skyliner per mile is accurate, as some have presented on these forums, this mode of transportation in the long run will produce the most economical sense for mass transit around property and that is what a for profit company wants.

As for the skyliner making Disney money, I believe that currently it will with increased costs per night at the resorts the skyliner of services.

An expansion to say Disney Springs would permit those who are on property not going to the parks have a timely, entertaining, and free means to get to an opportunity to spend more money. A water park stop would probably lead to higher utilization of the water parks on property and may lead to increased revenue (in my opinion the water parks seem to be an under advertised amenity of the resorts that may not be producing the revenue that the company may want out of them).

Again just my thoughts. I think the results of the gondolas will be overwhelming positive and that just like the monorail - people will view a ride on them as an experience not to miss when on property.

I personally see a see a scenario where DVC will ROFR most DRR points as the resale values get so low. Hence DVC will be holding most of the points for direct purchase.

If they expand the gondolas to DS, they will have to charge for parking there.

If they expand the gondolas to DS, they will have to charge for parking there.

And offer validation for a purchase of a certain amount at DS? Or maybe they'd charge people who weren't registered guests to get on the Gondolas? Or charge during certain hours? Although that would have to be a hefty price to prevent theme park guests from parking there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!