When Will The Dining Plan Return?

Yes, but Disney also takes you to the bank with it. It’s all about Disney making sure you NEVER leave property while on your trip, that is why I bet the DDP will be back. It’s a snare. If you have the DDP, you’re next to 0% chance likely to leave property to visit UO or an outside attraction or restaurant, because you’re too focused on where your TS is going to be that day or if you have to do a QS still, or how many snacks you still need to collect but, while you’re worrying about that, and thinking that all that food is free, you’re spending much more on souvenirs and other things in the stores. So yes, they may lose a little money on the watered down drink they’re serving you with your choice of 5 entrees at a TS restaurant, but they’re making it back in bundles by you never leaving their grasp until you’re back at MCO via their transportation service.

I do that with or without the DDP (never leave the bubble).

Oh I completely agree with those saying they never leave the bubble, we’re the same way. We live an hour away, so have our own car, and never have the DDP, but we too never leave the bubble. All I was pointing out is that is one of the main reasons Disney offered the DDP and offered it as a free add on so frequently. There are plenty of non DIS’ers out there that without a DDP would venture off property for food or other parks.

I'm all for choices so I don't mind if they bring it back, we don't use it but choices. Way back in the olden days when you got 2 TS which included an app and dessert and gratuity was included, we used to get it. We do tend to eat at least one TS a day but that might be me getting two apps instead of a meal and certainly more than one refreshing adult beverage. There are days when we just sort of pick all day. I think the big reason, other than we just don't eat the way the plan is set up now, we don't get it is I don't like having to pick and choose what is available on the plan or not. It's too much thinking about did I use all my credits, is this restaurant on the plan, etc.

Every discussion around the dining plan seems to devolve into a debate regarding whether it is "worth it" or not. That's not what the OP asked. They wanted to know when it may be back and of course no one knows that. Whether you're a fan of the plan or not is irrelevant.

Every discussion around the dining plan seems to devolve into a debate regarding whether it is "worth it" or not. That's not what the OP asked. They wanted to know when it may be back and of course no one knows that. Whether you're a fan of the plan or not is irrelevant.
Yes, but the question was answered before it devolved into a debate. People are allowed to discuss their feelings about it, especially as we don’t know if it will come back or if it will even remotely resemble what it was pre-shutdown. No one is neglecting answering the OPs question just to debate the merits.

You need to make sure you get an alcoholic drink with your meal to make your money.

You get a QS burger and a coke it would cost what $15

You get that burger with a margarita it takes it up $30

You can easily make money back and and quite a bit extra if your smart.

I know about the argument that the quality and variety of offerings appeared to lessen over time due to WDW pushing the DDP, however I think the widespread use of DDP has been the impetus to drive up food prices at WDW to what they are now.

We stopped getting the DDP almost 10 years ago, and I refuse to pay the "Bubble Tax" that it has turned into. I'm sure it will return, since in most cases it's extra money for WDW that folks wouldn't have otherwise spent.

Yes, but the question was answered before it devolved into a debate. People are allowed to discuss their feelings about it, especially as we don’t know if it will come back or if it will even remotely resemble what it was pre-shutdown. No one is neglecting answering the OPs question just to debate the merits.

And discussing what it should look like aftewards is an interesting discussion just like discussions of what FP should look like.

Personally, I say forget the dining plan and offer a drink around the world plan.

I guess it doesn't "need" to return until Disney feels like they are ready to "push" eating at Disney restaurants. Disney is (for obvious reasons) slow to "push" anything right now.

I am sure Disney will offer it again because it is probably a huge money maker for them and their castmembers (via increased demand for restaurants and tips). Locking in anyone to a set price is what companies always want to do and I can see Disney offerring it again when they can fill all restaurants to capacity. (especially when a majority of the guests probably don't get their actual money's worth).

Maybe it's time for it come back in a different form (or forms), but I see it coming back.

I think we'd all love to see a refillable mug that works in parks and resorts!

I think once 80% of restaurants are open they’ll start offering it again. And there will be many more free dining dates available.

Once I can use snack credits for beignets at POFQ again, and get a stale burger and draft beer at Lottawata Lodge AND Leaning Palms! By then, most things should be open.

I agree with the sentiment. Since the inception of the DDP, the menu offerings at all TS restaurants on property have severely degraded to the point that each now has 6-8 offerings and most have very similar options. Prior to the DDP, menus were much larger and had much more variety for the flavors and techniques of the specific restaurant. But, this is coming from someone that has only utilized the DDP once and that was way back in 2009. Being semi-local, with APs and using our DVC points we never even have the option to get the dining plan as we never book packages.

Since you are DVC, when the dining plan is available, DVC has a contract for DVC Members with Disney to book the dining plan without a package. If you have a night booked at a DVC resort, you could book a dining plan to go with it. No package required. Even if you didn't have a ticket and were doing a resort only stay - you could get the dining plan.

It really works well for short stays.

I certainly agree with you about the dumbing down of the menus.

For myself, 1-2 days of DDP is/was plenty. Anything more than that and I'm not hungry anymore.

I do think that food was better before the dining plan, but that is a moving target as there are new offerings now that were not around before it came around.

I think much of the dining plan is psychological. It takes some of the stress out of dining if it's already "paid for" -- even if you are paying more.

"Free" dining is the same. A Disney fan can tell their significant other that dining is "free" to make it appear they are getting some great value and eliminate the constant reminder of the high prices when eating.

Last edited:
I understand the sentiment that the dining plan has caused dumbing down of the menus, in order to appeal to the majority of the population. I frequently have split stays and use the QS dining plan for one of the splits. I happen to like it, but not for every day of my trip. On the remaining part of my stay I book my favourites, California Grill and Chefs, and I sometimes eat in the lounges. It works for me. Last trip I had 2 rooms for my son and me, booked the QS dining plan for me only, and used the credits to feed both of us. With one table service booked, a moonlight magic (includes qs meal) and a tour (also includes a qs meal), it lasted us the whole week. I look forward to it coming back.

I do think that food was better before the dining plan, but that is a moving target as there are new offerings now that were not around before it came around.

I think much of the dining plan is psychological. It takes some of the stress out of dining if it's already "paid for" -- even if you are paying more.

"Free" dining is the same. A Disney fan can tell their significant other that dining is "free" to make it appear they are getting some great value and eliminate the constant reminder of the high prices when eating.
We buy Disney gift cards at Target to accomplish the feeling that everything is already paid for. It ends up costing quite a bit less than the dining plan does.

I understand the sentiment that the dining plan has caused dumbing down of the menus, in order to appeal to the majority of the population. I frequently have split stays and use the QS dining plan for one of the splits. I happen to like it, but not for every day of my trip. On the remaining part of my stay I book my favourites, California Grill and Chefs, and I sometimes eat in the lounges. It works for me. Last trip I had 2 rooms for my son and me, booked the QS dining plan for me only, and used the credits to feed both of us. With one table service booked, a moonlight magic (includes qs meal) and a tour (also includes a qs meal), it lasted us the whole week. I look forward to it coming back.
I don't think the dining plan was dumbed down to appeal to more people, it was to reduce costs and eliminate competition from off-site restaurants and guarantee revenue.

Before the dining plan, restaurants had to compete for customers, and some of that was based on food quality and uniqueness.

With the dining plan, you can pack the restaurant because people who paid for it have to use it. With the dining plan, people aren't going to pick another restaurant because they are using a cheaper cut of meat. They will "sell" the steak no matter what because it has been prepaid.

I don't think the dining plan was dumbed down to appeal to more people, it was to reduce costs and eliminate competition from off-site restaurants and guarantee revenue.

Before the dining plan, restaurants had to compete for customers, and some of that was based on food quality and uniqueness.

With the dining plan, you can pack the restaurant because people who paid for it have to use it. With the dining plan, people aren't going to pick another restaurant because they are using a cheaper cut of meat. They will "sell" the steak no matter what because it has been prepaid.
No, that’s not the point, the DDP dumbed down the menu selections at the restaurants as a result of the reduced costs and competition elimination. Because of what you said, the DDP forces people to eat at those restaurants, restaurants don’t have to offer as many options. Plus, they’re not going to offer more pricey options for the restaurant to stock, as they’re going to want to serve the cheapest possible options because of the DDP. The restaurants have absolutely seen reduced offerings since the DDP was introduced.

No, that’s not the point, the DDP dumbed down the menu selections at the restaurants as a result of the reduced costs and competition elimination. Because of what you said, the DDP forces people to eat at those restaurants, restaurants don’t have to offer as many options. Plus, they’re not going to offer more pricey options for the restaurant to stock, as they’re going to want to serve the cheapest possible options because of the DDP. The restaurants have absolutely seen reduced offerings since the DDP was introduced.
We agree 100%. I was referring to the "appeal to more people" part. The changes are financial.

Last edited:
We agree 100%. I was referring to the "appeal to more people" part. The changes are financial.
I said that because once they have people on the dining plan, they are forced to book the restaurants, the menus can't be too unique. The average family aren't going to go for that, the kids and teenagers have to eat too, and many just don't have that diverse a palette. I agree it was a plan to keep people on site, similar to the plan with magic express, but the result has been limited menus and more mundane menu items, and packed noisy restaurants...and why do I always get the cantankerous 2 year old behind me? For this reason won't purchase or even go free dining with the table service plan. I just book and pay for 1 or 2 of my favourites each trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!