When you cruise from NYC...

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone here who went on a cruise that departed from NYC...

1) How was the sea? (I heard the sea was rough between NYC and the south.)

2) Where do you stay? Are you aware of any good hotel that would offer cruise packages?

EDIT: Take notes that we'll be travelling with seniors so we plan to stay in Manhattan in order to reduce transportation as much as possible.

3) Any other tips would be very much appreciated! (Tips from locals would be very much appreciated for this one!)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I can't speak as to places to stay, as we drove up that morning and parked in the port. We did consider driving up earlier and staying, though - there are a number of places (especially on the NJ side) that do park & cruise, and if you're flying in, then staying somewhere with a shuttle to the port is a no brainer. But I'll let somebody who's done that make recommendations. ;-)

Also - make sure you know which terminal you're sailing out of - there's one in Manhattan (Norwegian is there year-round, DCL & some others use is seasonally), one in Brooklyn (IDK who sails out of that one off the top of my head), and one in Bayonne (RCCL sails out of that one I know b/c I have friends who cruised from there). The terminal in Bayonne is probably going to be easiest if you're trying to get there on your own, but I know you're from Canada, so not sure how much of a haul that would be for you. And if you're looking at a specific line or trip, then I guess you don't have all that much choice. ;-)

Anyhoo - we sailed in late October. The seas were definitely roughest when up there and traveling up & down the east coast as far south as probably Virginia or North Carolina? They weren't awful, though (the trip before us or the one before that had such a rough re-entry to NY that apparently closet doors were opening and closing and stuff was moving around the cabins).

I'm not sure if it would be better another time of year, or if it's because of the way the ocean is in that area. But even though it was a bit choppy, it certainly wasn't enough to turn us off of it. We would/will happily sail out of NY again in a heartbeat. (We live about a 3-4 hour drive from there.)

I can't speak as to places to stay, as we drove up that morning and parked in the port. We did consider driving up earlier and staying, though - there are a number of places (especially on the NJ side) that do park & cruise, and if you're flying in, then staying somewhere with a shuttle to the port is a no brainer. But I'll let somebody who's done that make recommendations. ;-)

Also - make sure you know which terminal you're sailing out of - there's one in Manhattan (Norwegian is there year-round, DCL & some others use is seasonally), one in Brooklyn (IDK who sails out of that one off the top of my head), and one in Bayonne (RCCL sails out of that one I know b/c I have friends who cruised from there). The terminal in Bayonne is probably going to be easiest if you're trying to get there on your own, but I know you're from Canada, so not sure how much of a haul that would be for you. And if you're looking at a specific line or trip, then I guess you don't have all that much choice. ;-)

Anyhoo - we sailed in late October. The seas were definitely roughest when up there and traveling up & down the east coast as far south as probably Virginia or North Carolina? They weren't awful, though (the trip before us or the one before that had such a rough re-entry to NY that apparently closet doors were opening and closing and stuff was moving around the cabins).

I'm not sure if it would be better another time of year, or if it's because of the way the ocean is in that area. But even though it was a bit choppy, it certainly wasn't enough to turn us off of it. We would/will happily sail out of NY again in a heartbeat. (We live about a 3-4 hour drive from there.)

We will arrive by plane.

We are sailing from the Manhattan terminal.

We are also sailing in October.

Ok, definitely expecting choppy seas now. Doesn't matter, we really want to do it in October.

We've stayed on the NJ side, as we were driving from PA and looking for one of the park and cruise packages (Hilton Garden Inn has a great one). But that isn't what you need as you are flying into NYC rather than driving. Still, I wouldn't rule out flying into Newark and seeing if you can find a cruise package on the NJ side. It was a pretty short drive (maybe 20 minutes) from our hotel in Ridgefield Park, NJ to the port.

I also recommend in addition to asking here that you check out Cruise Critic's port specific forums. Look for the North American Homeports > East Coast Departures board. You can probably find lots of good suggestions there. Good luck!

If you want a hotel package with trAnsfer to port the cruise lines usually offer a pre cruise hotel package. We did a cruise out of nyc last October. Our TA recommended the Hyatt centric Times Square. Great location, nice room. Included breakfast. I think the rate was about 400 which isn’t bad for the local and class of hotel. We Uber to port. It was around 25.

When staying in Manhattan we like the Marriott Marquis.
Expect tougher seas than if you are cruising out of FL.

We stayed on the NJ side as well in a hotel that included breakfast plus very nice transportation to and from the port. The seas were very smooth for us in September. I loved sailing out of NY.

I live close enough to drive so can't help with hotels but I've gone out of NYC 3 times (June, Oct, Nov) and it's rougher than the Caribbean. Once you get south (by Virginia) it gets better. I don't have a problem with sea sickness but you will feel it. In Oct it was just after a hurricane and it was especially rough the first night, even the crew was feeling it. On the Nov cruise they closed the kids pool one day because it looked like a wave pool. But that being said I would and will go again. The port is easy to navigate especially since you'll be getting a ride and not driving. They drop you off right in front up top and you just walk in to security and then the check in. Porters are outside up stairs to take your luggage.

There are some very good threads devoted entirely to sailing out of NY. If you can find them I think you will read a lot of good info. We loved our cruise out of NY!

We have done the Nov 3-10 NYC to Disney World Cruise for the last 2 yrs now. This year the seas weren’t bad but did have a storm on the way back.

The year before was rough seas heading back to port. Photo of the family pool becoming a wave pool as the ship was rocking so hard the pool was splashing feet into the air.

Last edited:
We cruised out of NYC to Bermuda this October, hitting storms in both directions. It was definitely rough seas and indoor activities! At one point just walking up on the pool deck was difficult. However, we still loved it and would cruise out of NYC again. The terminal was super easy.

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Financial District because the tourist activities we wanted were in that area. Would highly recommend. We felt very safe in the neighborhood and walked around for all of our needs.

We've sailed from Manhattan 3 times in November and never had rough seas. Last year it was pretty cold but otherwise no issues. Not to say it doesn't happen just that we haven't experienced it. (We've also sailed from Manhattan in May, June, July, and August.) It's amazing sailing out of Manhattan. I don't think there are any cruise deals in Manhattan probably because cruises are such a small part of the tourist business there. Hotels are pretty expensive - not sure of your budget. I'd book something with free cancellation and keep looking since they'll usually get more expensive the closer to your check-in date. Check the things you want to see/do and then choose a hotel in a location with easy access for your seniors. In case you are considering Airbnb be advised that almost all of the ones in the 5 NYC boroughs are illegal so do your research about it.

We've stayed on the NJ side, as we were driving from PA and looking for one of the park and cruise packages (Hilton Garden Inn has a great one). But that isn't what you need as you are flying into NYC rather than driving. Still, I wouldn't rule out flying into Newark and seeing if you can find a cruise package on the NJ side. It was a pretty short drive (maybe 20 minutes) from our hotel in Ridgefield Park, NJ to the port.

I also recommend in addition to asking here that you check out Cruise Critic's port specific forums. Look for the North American Homeports > East Coast Departures board. You can probably find lots of good suggestions there. Good luck!

We really have to get a hotel in Manhattan as the whole "land part" of our trip will be concentrated in Manhattan.

Thank you very much for the forum suggestion. It will be very useful.

We stayed at a hotel the Newark Airport when we sailed out of Manhattan, but when we go to NYC for shows and sightseeing, we always stay at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. It is pricey for sure, but the rooms are large and comfortable and the location can't be beat! We sailed on Thanksgiving week in 2018 and the seas weren't too rough either coming or going. It was cold, but nothing too bad the first day or so at sea. Kids were in the pools on the second sea day. We loved sailing out of Manhattan! The views can't be beat! 468069468070468071

We stayed at a hotel the Newark Airport when we sailed out of Manhattan, but when we go to NYC for shows and sightseeing, we always stay at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. It is pricey for sure, but the rooms are large and comfortable and the location can't be beat! We sailed on Thanksgiving week in 2018 and the seas weren't too rough either coming or going. It was cold, but nothing too bad the first day or so at sea. Kids were in the pools on the second sea day. We loved sailing out of Manhattan! The views can't be beat! View attachment 468069View attachment 468070View attachment 468071

I've stay at the Marquis twice in the past... With Times Square view! I agree that the rooms are very large (by NY standards).

If you could swim in November, that means we will definitely be able to swim during sea days... That's encouraging!

Based on the pictures I see, seems like we'll be sailing pretty close to lady Liberty! :)

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone here who went on a cruise that departed from NYC...

1) How was the sea? (I heard the sea was rough between NYC and the south.)

2) Where do you stay? Are you aware of any good hotel that would offer cruise packages?

EDIT: Take notes that we'll be travelling with seniors so we plan to stay in Manhattan in order to reduce transportation as much as possible.

3) Any other tips would be very much appreciated! (Tips from locals would be very much appreciated for this one!)

Thanks in advance!
We sailed out of NYC in October 2017, seas were totally fine all the way down to Florida and beyond. Coming back up the weather was crappy and seas were pretty rocky along the Carolinas.

We stayed at the Homewood Suites Edgewater in NJ. It’s across the Hudson from the pier so we just hired a Town Car service to take us across. It took about 25 minutes from hotel to pier, it was super easy.

The hotel was less than half of what it would have been if we stayed in the city. There are plenty of restaurants next to the hotel and there is a CVS next door for any last minute sundries you might need.

Sailed out of NYC three times and into NYC after 2019 WBTA. We had very rough seas twice. Both times were this year, on the TA we missed both Canadian ports, and on the DVC Member Cruise we missed Boston. On that cruise we had outside cabin on deck two and waves came up to out window and scared us! On another cruise out of NYC, we had moderate seas and fog on the way back to NYC from Halifax.

Twice we stayed at Marriott Marquis. The other time we just drove up from Cape May where we live.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter