Where and When? (AKL - Kidani)

ClosetDisMom

Mouseketeer
Just booked my first DVC for July 2018 at Kidani Villas. Last night, my husband decided he would rather have Kidani than Jambo - he liked the idea of two bathrooms. :) My questions are due to my research prior to last being mostly about Jambo...

1. We have kids who will like the pool and the animals. What should I request in order to a decent shot at being close to the pool and having a good view? Upper floor? Lower floor? Near which elevator?
  2. When do you call MS to make those requests? (Yes, I am aware that the requests may not be able to be honored; I have read that most of the AKL requests are not usually requested. But asking won't hurt my chances of getting what we'd prefer.) :thumbsup2

Thanks in advance!

Make your request when you make your reservation. Email them to ms via the member website. We follow up with another email or chat to verify the ms actually added the request to the reservation. Your request success at any resort is dependent on many factors but knowing how they assign rooms helps. List requests in order of importance, only list two, make them generic and not too specific. Requesting by room number is almost impossible to fill, (what are the odds that someone will check out of that room the day that you want to check in?)

:earsboy: Bill

You don't mention your room category. Is is Savanna? Standard?

Since the pool at Kidani is not near any of the DVC villa locations (it is across the entry area), you might request "close to the lobby". That is probably the most popular request at AKV since the farthest rooms are quite a hike. So being near the lobby gives you the best access to amenities, the pool, and the bus stop.

I would either call MS or email them as Bill suggested. You have to call MS to change your resort to Kidani anyway (unless you want to cancel and book online), so I'd just make the request then. Mostly I try to make requests right after I book the reservation so I don't forget!

Good luck getting your requests-I hope you have better luck than we did getting requests at Kidani. So far we're 0 for 2. What bothers me isn't so much that we didn't get our requests, but that the front desk CM told us that our room had certainly met the request of "close to lobby". Yet we were in the fourth "pod". Having our DGDs with us, the extra bathroom made Kidani a good choice, but in terms of meeting requests, I'll choose Jambo again. However, I'll bet there are people who don't get their requests at Jambo either.

However, I'll bet there are people who don't get their requests at Jambo either.

Virtually never. Just once have I gotten a request there. I did get my request at Kidani the one time I stayed there but it was a short stay so likely easier to fill. But then I've had great luck with requests at BWV which seems to have the most complaints of not filling requests so it's hard to figure out.

You don't mention your room category. Is is Savanna? Standard?

Since the pool at Kidani is not near any of the DVC villa locations (it is across the entry area), you might request "close to the lobby". That is probably the most popular request at AKV since the farthest rooms are quite a hike. So being near the lobby gives you the best access to amenities, the pool, and the bus stop.

I would either call MS or email them as Bill suggested. You have to call MS to change your resort to Kidani anyway (unless you want to cancel and book online), so I'd just make the request then. Mostly I try to make requests right after I book the reservation so I don't forget!

I guess based on this reply that I was confused!!

I'm assuming you are in a 1 bedroom unit since you mentioned 2 baths. If you book savanna view and you want to see giraffes, request sunset savanna. At Kidani, we always request 2nd floor so that we are closer to the animals. If you have a car and will be driving most places, where your villa is located does not really matter as you will be able to park underneath the building near the elevator closest to your villa. If no car, then we request close to transportation.

Thanks everyone. I was able to request "close to transportation" via the chat feature. My hopes are not high, as it seems like everyone on the boards states that request are rarely able to be granted. But, I thought "might as well ask just in case." :)

PS To answer questions: yes, we booked Savanna view and yes, it is a 1 bedroom for the two toilets :)

AK is our home resort so we have stayed there 3 times in the last 5 years. The first two times we did Savannah views and this last trip I got a Standard. I requested "near lobby" and got it, but we were on the first floor and the room windows faced the front of the resort where anyone walking by could see in. As a result we wound up leaving the curtains drawn most of the time which I didn't like because I prefer natural light.

If we do a standard room again I'd probably request high floor, near lobby in that order.

I will say though that most of the rooms on the "Zebra" side of the below map aren't too far from the pool, and we have been at the far end of the resort. If you're in the "giraffe side" then it's a bit more of a hike. I have found the quickest way to the pool from multiple points of the resort is to just take the elevator to the parking lot and use the walkway rather than going all the way to the lobby and circling back to the pool.

c6019e203b946bbe051766446db4ac14.jpg

I will say though that most of the rooms on the "Zebra" side of the below map aren't too far from the pool, and we have been at the far end of the resort. If you're in the "giraffe side" then it's a bit more of a hike. I have found the quickest way to the pool from multiple points of the resort is to just take the elevator to the parking lot and use the walkway rather than going all the way to the lobby and circling back to the pool.

Thank you for the detailed explanation - this helps a lot!

Thanks everyone. I was able to request "close to transportation" via the chat feature. My hopes are not high, as it seems like everyone on the boards states that request are rarely able to be granted. But, I thought "might as well ask just in case." :)

PS To answer questions: yes, we booked Savanna view and yes, it is a 1 bedroom for the two toilets :)

If you want to see giraffes call MS and request Sunset savanna view and, if you also want to be near the pool, request close to the Rafiki elevator (down that elevator to ground/parking lot floor gives you shortest possible walk from the building to an entry gate to the pool area). If instead you want to be close to the bus station, request close to the Timon elevator (near that elevator on second floor is the exit door that goes directly to the bus station). The problem with "close to lobby or "close to transportation" requests is that huge numbers make those requests, including because they are included in the request section for online check-in, and the resullt is often that one does not get the request.

Last edited:
I like the wording on the touringplans fax requests - I've had several DVCers message me that they have good success with that - anyone else try it?

We were just in a standard view 2 bdrm dedicated at Kidani #7625 which is floor #2 where the lobby is. It’s the start of pod #3. Great location to lobby, and pool. The Rafiki elevator was right next to us in a small hallway. You take it down to ground level parking and walk a very short distance to the pool gate. I requested close to an elevator and transport due to scooter.

I like the wording on the touringplans fax requests - I've had several DVCers message me that they have good success with that - anyone else try it?
what do they say differently in that wording to help them get what they requested?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!