Where did my AdBlock Plus go?

mom2rtk

Invented the term "Characterpalooza"
So yesterday In noticed embedded ads again on various sites I'm visiting (including the DIS). So I look to the upper right hand corner and no longer see the red icon.

Not sure what happened, so I look in my control panel under "programs" and don't see it listed. So I try to download it and am told I already have it.

I'm running Windows 7 and Chrome.

Any suggestions? I'd post something in the tech forum, but that's where threads go to die.

Do a search in your computer for 'adblock plus', see if you can find the files for it, and either uninstall it and reinstall it, or see if it has a repair program option for it. That's all I can think of at the moment

Every now and then my AdBlock extension gets whacked out -- either an update failed, or something else happened. Typically for me uninstalling and re-installing works.

In Chrome, go to your Settings menu (usually upper right corner next to all of your extension icons, 3 dots), then "More Tools", then "Extensions" -- if you still see AdBlock Plus in this list, click on "Remove".

Then try re-installing and see if the issue is resolved.

Every now and then my AdBlock extension gets whacked out -- either an update failed, or something else happened. Typically for me uninstalling and re-installing works.

In Chrome, go to your Settings menu (usually upper right corner next to all of your extension icons, 3 dots), then "More Tools", then "Extensions" -- if you still see AdBlock Plus in this list, click on "Remove".

Then try re-installing and see if the issue is resolved.

OP, you might have a really old version that works with Win 7. But maybe the new version no longer works with Win 7 and the newest update screwed up your version. :confused3 You might have to turn off and turn back on the version you already gave. Or go find a version that will work with your versions of Win 7 & Chrome. Usually the websites of extensions list the old versions for download for such instances.

I can tell you the Firefox version is working just fine so it may be a problem with the Chrome version?

If uBlock Origin and Disconnect are available for Chrome add those two as well. Between the three add-ons I generally don't see any ads.

So yesterday In noticed embedded ads again on various sites I'm visiting (including the DIS). So I look to the upper right hand corner and no longer see the red icon.

Not sure what happened, so I look in my control panel under "programs" and don't see it listed. So I try to download it and am told I already have it.

I'm running Windows 7 and Chrome.

Any suggestions? I'd post something in the tech forum, but that's where threads go to die.
:scratchin Yeah, that was weird - my Adblock was completely gone too. I was able to download it again without any trouble.

Thanks everyone! I was sort of lost with this earlier. I remember I used to have 3 little dots in the upper right corner, but that is now an orange circle with an arrow? I tried the settings menu, but got lost there. I finally just got a little time to look around again and found the "more tools" and "extensions" link there. It gave me an option to "reload" AdBlock Plus and it did the trick.

Thanks everyone! I was sort of lost with this earlier. I remember I used to have 3 little dots in the upper right corner, but that is now an orange circle with an arrow? I tried the settings menu, but got lost there. I finally just got a little time to look around again and found the "more tools" and "extensions" link there. It gave me an option to "reload" AdBlock Plus and it did the trick.
I have no idea why but my chrome alternatives between the three dots and the home icon :confused3. But just like you it threw me for a loop the first time I didn't see the three dots.

I would like to suggest uBlock Origin. It is an addon/extension for Firefox and Chrome that uses less computer resources (its faster) than AdBlock.

Chrome Link
Firefox Link

To anyone who is having the AdBlock disappearing issue: sometimes I close out of my browser all the way, and then start it up again and it will be there. Sometimes I have to reinstall the addon.

I would like to suggest uBlock Origin. It is an addon/extension for Firefox and Chrome that uses less computer resources (its faster) than AdBlock.

Chrome Link
Firefox Link

To anyone who is having the AdBlock disappearing issue: sometimes I close out of my browser all the way, and then start it up again and it will be there. Sometimes I have to reinstall the addon.
Stupid me. I never did try closing it out entirely, or even restarting the computer. Next time!

I'd post something in the tech forum, but that's where threads go to die.
Haha, so true. :bored:

I used to have 3 little dots in the upper right corner, but that is now an orange circle with an arrow
That should mean your Chrome needs to be updated. Click on it.

I use the AdBlock Plus, along with uBlock Origin. Together they do a great job.

Haha, so true. :bored:

I use the AdBlock Plus, along with uBlock Origin. Together they do a great job.
Well, there you go. You learn something new every day! Thanks for that Dan!

Mom2rtk might only be able to update it so much as she has Win 7. One time I updated my old dinosaur cellphone and instead of updating Firefox and other apps, Firefox and those apps got DELETED and wouldn't install the latest versions as they no longer supported the operating system of my dinosaur phone. ARGH!!! :badpc: I had to search & find old versions of each app that would work with the old operating system. I think Win 7 is still supported, but not all add-ons may work with it, or all the features of an add-on.

Mom2rtk might only be able to update it so much as she has Win 7. One time I updated my old dinosaur cellphone and instead of updating Firefox and other apps, Firefox and those apps got DELETED and wouldn't install the latest versions as they no longer supported the operating system of my dinosaur phone. ARGH!!! :badpc: I had to search & find old versions of each app that would work with the old operating system. I think Win 7 is still supported, but not all add-ons may work with it, or all the features of an add-on.
Thankfully it updated fine and AdBlock Plus is working again.

They'll have to pry the Windows 7 from my cold dead hands!

Thankfully it updated fine and AdBlock Plus is working again.

They'll have to pry the Windows 7 from my cold dead hands!
Agree but what is with AdBlock Plus lately? I initially downloaded it over a year ago and it ran problem free; for the last few weeks it crashes/uninstalls itself at least once a day, sometimes more. I've actually added it to my favorites bar so I don't have to search for it every time I have to re-install it. Has it gone to a "trial version" format that needs to be upgraded to a purchase or something? :confused:

Agree but what is with AdBlock Plus lately? I initially downloaded it over a year ago and it ran problem free; for the last few weeks it crashes/uninstalls itself at least once a day, sometimes more. I've actually added it to my favorites bar so I don't have to search for it every time I have to re-install it. Has it gone to a "trial version" format that needs to be upgraded to a purchase or something? :confused:
I'm glad I'm not the only one having issues. I initially fixed my issue but have had to do it many times since. At least I know how to do it now, so it only takes a moment, but it never used to do this.

Sometimes when Chrome updates, certain extensions get disabled. Go to chrome://extensions/ and see if it is there and enabled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!