Where to book my first?

Yinn

DIS Veteran
So I just purchased two contracts. One direct (AKV) and one resale (PVB) and we're looking to plan our first DVC trip. The only places we've stayed on property so far are the values (All Star, Pop, Art of Animation) so this will be a big jump for us. We'll be looking to go Aug 29-Sept 5, 2020 - availability won't be too much of a concern. It's typically light during this time, but Food & Wine typically gets launched around then too. There will be 5 of us - 2 adults, 6 year old, 3 year old, 1 year old and we'll be purchasing the DDP so a kitchen is appreciated but not needed.

I'm sure we'll get to all of them, but the first is special right? What does everyone recommend?

I would go out and look at the all the resorts and the themes, maybe there is something that would appeal to your family, our favorite them is the Wilderness Lodge. Or, is location more important, based on the plans for your trip? Some of the resorts are walking distance to the parks, does that appeal to you?

As for the kitchen part, I would assume having 3 young kids, a 2 bedroom would be great so the kids can nap / sleep and you can stay up and hang out. You may not need the kitchen, but a studio might not work based on sleep schedules etc... Have fun picking a place out. We went the exact same week this year (just a few short weeks ago), lower crowds is always a plus!

Congratulations and welcome home! I hope you have many years of magical trips to WDW.

I would suggest you try one of your home resorts since you haven't stayed at either one of them. AKV has the animals which your children will probably love and PVB has a view of the castle and is on the monorail so easy access to MK, hard choice LOL...

Good luck with whatever resort you decide on and don't forget to come back and let us know what you decide.

I may be biased because it's my home resort, but Bay Lake Tower would be my first choice due to the walking path. With 3 young ones who probably will want an afternoon nap, nothing beats the convenience of walking back from the MK. Of course, book your home resort at the Poly or AKV, and then switch at 7 months. If you want to make it super special, consider a theme park room.

Congratulations on your DVC purchases! You will enjoy years of magical trips, I'm sure! :)

What type of accommodation are you planning to book? Studio, or a 1 Bedroom villa? That can influence the decision since not all studios and 1BRs are equally configured.

Aside from that, I think that @Ms.Minnie has a great suggestion to book one of your home resorts. I would think that AKV will be pretty magical with the animals, but it is not as convenient for the afternoon naps. I would probably lean towards PVB since it has easy monorail access to MK which I'm assuming will be a focal park for your trip. It would be easier to get back to from either MK or EPCOT for an afternoon nap time.

Or, is location more important, based on the plans for your trip? Some of the resorts are walking distance to the parks, does that appeal to you?

We’re not sure. We’ve survived 3 trips without walking distance, but we certainly see how it would be nice.

With 3 young ones who probably will want an afternoon nap, nothing beats the convenience of walking back from the MK.

Our kids are troopers, and we’re bad parents. :) They’ve been napping in the strollers, but that might also be because we’ve had to bus it back. They tend to fall asleep at different times so we rider switch it so that our awake kids can still get on rides. There’s only been one time in our 3 trips that we’ve had to retreat to the baby care center due to naps.

What type of accommodation are you planning to book? Studio, or a 1 Bedroom villa? That can influence the decision since not all studios and 1BRs are equally configured.

It depends on the place. Poly would be 1 or 2 Studios. AK would be a 2BR. BLT would be a 1. We have 300 points for 2020, and we listed our current year points for rent (100) that we could always bank as well. So I’ve been looking in the 250-300 range right now. The only must is 2 bathrooms is a must.

I agree with Ms.Minnie and Granny - book one of your home resorts, or both if your stay is long enough! (I won’t stay any fewer than 2 nights in one place, but 3 or 4 is really my desired minimum, and with little kids you don’t want to pack up after just a night or two.) You must have had a reason to buy there and not elsewhere, right?

I recommend you try AKV first. I own at AKV and BLT and POLY, and, frankly, I have been EXTREMELY disappointed with Poly. Whereas the best vacations I have ever had at DW have all been at AKV.

I wouldn’t do poly. One room is too small and 2 rooms gets you less for your points than a 1 or 2 bedroom. If you and your spouse are undecided, I’d let the kids pick. Show them utube videos or images off of the Disney website and let them each pick 2. See if there is a favorite. Let them know you will stay at them all eventually. It’s always surprising to me what kids decide! Lol

I wouldn’t do poly. One room is too small and 2 rooms gets you less for your points than a 1 or 2 bedroom. If you and your spouse are undecided, I’d let the kids pick. Show them utube videos or images off of the Disney website and let them each pick 2. See if there is a favorite. Let them know you will stay at them all eventually. It’s always surprising to me what kids decide! Lol

Poly has two room options for DVC? All I see are studios and bungalows.

Sorry, I meant if you book 2 studios. Every time we have looked at it, 2 studios at poly costs about the same as a 2 bedroom at most other resorts. But, with poly you sacrifice the full kitchen and living room, space in general. You also do not get a washer/dryer, which for us is a deal killer. We wash towels every day.

I agree with Ms.Minnie and Granny - book one of your home resorts, or both if your stay is long enough! (I won’t stay any fewer than 2 nights in one place, but 3 or 4 is really my desired minimum, and with little kids you don’t want to pack up after just a night or two.) You must have had a reason to buy there and not elsewhere, right?

I agree, we definitely won't be doing a split stay this time around. It's too hectic with 3 little ones.

Mid Poly video..."Why can't we go back to Nemo?" 🤷‍♂️ Glad I spent all this money on DVC!!

This last trip we actually ate at Grand Floridian, Ohana, Artist Point, Boma, and Cape May Cafe. Zero interest at VGF and Ohana. They loved running across the bridge in the lobby while waiting for artist point; and they liked riding the boat from Cape May Cafe to HWS

Sorry, I meant if you book 2 studios. Every time we have looked at it, 2 studios at poly costs about the same as a 2 bedroom at most other resorts. But, with poly you sacrifice the full kitchen and living room, space in general. You also do not get a washer/dryer, which for us is a deal killer. We wash towels every day.

Yea, that's a consideration as well. We have enough points, but we would rent out what we didn't use so it is $ in our pocket to an extent. But we're also debating within ourselves, do we want to slowly ramp up our DVC experience? Meaning, we're coming from values. We're used to crowded, busses, walking, and poor food, poor views, no kitchens and laundry. So should we stay at an increasingly better place? Or do we want a big splash for our first and splurge?

Here's what we would be considering for a week long stay.
- 1 Studio at PVB - 153 points stndard.
- 2 Connecting studios is 306 points at standard PVB.
- 1 BR Kidani is 200-322 points depending on view.
- 1 BR is 250-275 at BLT
- 2 BR at BW/BC is 280-313
- 2 BR at CCV/BRV is 318
- 2 BR at OKW is 269
- Studio at VGF is 340 (only one we've truly eliminated so far due to points & fit)

Pros & Cons of our home resort. This will be the first trip with 3 kids instead of 2. I'm used to a stroller on the bus, but we've historically tag teamed it. One of us with the kids. The other with the diaper bag and stroller. With 3 kids, we might be going with 2 strollers (double & single) so I am a little worried about that; but I'll have to deal with that at some point either way.

Our typical schedule is arrive Day 1 afternoon/Pool Day. Day 2, MGK. Day 3, HWS. Day 4, Resort/Waterpark Day. Day 5, AK, Day 6, Epcot. Day 7, MGK. Day 8, Leave. If HWS and AK are really light, sometimes we hop over to Epcot for dinner.

Right now given that 4/7 days we'll see MGK and Epcot; we're leaning towards a MonoRail resort, and to your point. In room laundry would be really nice. Having hte ability to start a load before we leave or sleep and then throw it in the dryer when we get back vs running to the laundry room and waiting for it.

I agree, we definitely won't be doing a split stay this time around. It's too hectic with 3 little ones.

Mid Poly video..."Why can't we go back to Nemo?" 🤷‍♂️ Glad I spent all this money on DVC!!

This last trip we actually ate at Grand Floridian, Ohana, Artist Point, Boma, and Cape May Cafe. Zero interest at VGF and Ohana. They loved running across the bridge in the lobby while waiting for artist point; and they liked riding the boat from Cape May Cafe to HWS

Yea, that's a consideration as well. We have enough points, but we would rent out what we didn't use so it is $ in our pocket to an extent. But we're also debating within ourselves, do we want to slowly ramp up our DVC experience? Meaning, we're coming from values. We're used to crowded, busses, walking, and poor food, poor views, no kitchens and laundry. So should we stay at an increasingly better place? Or do we want a big splash for our first and splurge?

Here's what we would be considering for a week long stay.
- 1 Studio at PVB - 153 points stndard.
- 2 Connecting studios is 306 points at standard PVB.
- 1 BR Kidani is 200-322 points depending on view.
- 1 BR is 250-275 at BLT
- 2 BR at BW/BC is 280-313
- 2 BR at CCV/BRV is 318
- 2 BR at OKW is 269
- Studio at VGF is 340 (only one we've truly eliminated so far due to points & fit)

Pros & Cons of our home resort. This will be the first trip with 3 kids instead of 2. I'm used to a stroller on the bus, but we've historically tag teamed it. One of us with the kids. The other with the diaper bag and stroller. With 3 kids, we might be going with 2 strollers (double & single) so I am a little worried about that; but I'll have to deal with that at some point either way.

Our typical schedule is arrive Day 1 afternoon/Pool Day. Day 2, MGK. Day 3, HWS. Day 4, Resort/Waterpark Day. Day 5, AK, Day 6, Epcot. Day 7, MGK. Day 8, Leave. If HWS and AK are really light, sometimes we hop over to Epcot for dinner.

Right now given that 4/7 days we'll see MGK and Epcot; we're leaning towards a MonoRail resort, and to your point. In room laundry would be really nice. Having hte ability to start a load before we leave or sleep and then throw it in the dryer when we get back vs running to the laundry room and waiting for it.

That is exactly how it will be! They will want to go back to the values. Ours did. They also loved Port Orleans? I was surprised about that one. But they still ask to stay there again. We have boys and they did not like GF (stayed pre dvc). They loved the pool at Beach club (pre dvc), especially the sand area. They liked Poly (pre dvc). And since we purchased dvc, they have stayed at BWV and Kidani. They enjoyed both but they really want to stay at BLT and WL. We have stayed at WL, but it was pre dvc. Unfortunately, those two are harder to get. If you can get them, you might want to grab them if you can. I think if you want to save on points and slowly ramp up your experience, do one room at poly (“suffer” lol the towel situation- you know they do not change them). If you want to wow them, I would do BLT one bedroom standard. We haven’t been able to get BLT yet. We have a trip booked in February at BRV, but we still need one night to finish the reservation. We are hoping for a waitlist miracle.

One other thing I thought of. Our kids liked kidani but didn’t love it. Kidani has a very chill, retreat vibe that is almost geared towards adults IMO. They actually complained about the buses, even though they were not bad except leaving the park late at night. They also asked not to go back to “that resort,” but I am not sure how much they meant it. They did love the balcony there. It is huge.
With BW, they loved the playful atmosphere right outside the door, games and shows on the boardwalk. Also LOVED the pool there.

One other thing I thought of. Our kids liked kidani but didn’t love it. Kidani has a very chill, retreat vibe that is almost geared towards adults IMO. They actually complained about the buses, even though they were not bad except leaving the park late at night. They also asked not to go back to “that resort,” but I am not sure how much they meant it. They did love the balcony there. It is huge.
With BW, they loved the playful atmosphere right outside the door, games and shows on the boardwalk. Also LOVED the pool there.

May I ask how old yours are?

I have to admit we were a bit suprised at how much our kids did not care about the safari. They love the zoo, and everytime we go to AK; we go on the Safari ride 2-3x. But for some reason they just didn't care about the animals when we went to eat at Boma. I'm not sure if it was a fluke or what.

I would go for the 2 bedroom. DVC is meant to be a home away from home, that means comfortable to me...space. OKW is a favorite of ours because the living room is so large, and the points are low. Since we are from NH, staying where there are palm trees fees good. BC and BW would be good choices too.

You will want to make reservations at your home resort at 11 months so you have something, then switch out at 7 if you want.

Pointwise - 1 Bedroom at Kidani makes the most sense (hits your 2 bathroom check you want)

Ease of Transportation - BLT 1 Bedroom (also hits your 2 bathroom check you want) or one of the Epcot Resorts for a 2 bedroom (with 2 pool/resort days and 2 days at Epcot/HS, that's 4 days in that area and you'll have the ability to walk or take the boat and the kids might enjoy the boardwalk area in general) - maybe lean BC for the kids and the pool, add in your point about if it's light at Animal Kingdom, you'd end up at Epcot anyways for Dinner and you might be in that area for 3 of your nights (easy walk home with the kids hopefully sleeping in their strollers to the room)

Ease of booking - i'd pry use one of your home resorts and use the 11 month window, even though its not a busy time for DVC, sometimes for sanity it's just nice to know you have it booked and you're good to go (even though you'll probably be able to get what you want at the 7-month window.)

Final Judgement - Book the 1 bedroom at Kidani when your 11-month window opens and then try and switch to BC 2 Bedroom

Last edited:
May I ask how old yours are?

I have to admit we were a bit suprised at how much our kids did not care about the safari. They love the zoo, and everytime we go to AK; we go on the Safari ride 2-3x. But for some reason they just didn't care about the animals when we went to eat at Boma. I'm not sure if it was a fluke or what.

Ours recently turned 10 and 11. We also have a 17 year old, but he has a very different perspective. They have been going to wdw since they were infants and dL and dcl since our youngest was 4. It sounds like yours are younger, so it could be a bit different. But I totally relate to the kids sleeping in the stroller. That was us.

If I were you, I would maximize points and do one room at poly if you want to ease into dvc (just “suffer” lol with the no towel change situation) or... go 1 bedroom standard BLT. Our kids chose BLT and WL, but we do not own at either and haven’t been able to get reservations. I cannot bring myself to pay more points than standard on BLT, but lake and theme park views have not popped up for us as available anyway. If you can get BLT standard, I would take it while you can. We have part of a reservation booked for Feb at BRV but still need one more night.

We tried GF 3x at a variety of ages. I think it was too feminine overall for them. The kids went to WL a couple of times when they were toddlers. Our teen was around 8-10 and really, really loved it. We did the tour at CCV over a year ago, and the kids are dying to stay there as a result. We did all star sports a few times when our teen was very young, and then we stayed there a few times when our littles were ages 5-9 the night before leaving on dcl. Each time, they gushed about all star sports and begged to stay there on a “real” Disney trip. They still ask to stay there! We meant to do it with them but we ended up at other places every time we went back. We did Port Orleans 2x when they were ages 6-8. I think Port Orleans Riverside feels a bit like WL and obviously they love that feel. We did Poly 2x, ages 8-10. They enjoyed poly a lot but have not asked to stay again... but our 17 year old says poly is his favorite. We did Beach Club 2x ages 4-6. Loved the pool, nonplussed about the resort. We did kidani last summer, ages 9-10. Boardwalk a month ago over Labor Day. After the BWV stay we took a tally and the kids resoundingly said they preferred BW to Kidani. Kids loved the theme and walk to Epcot and HS. They were always pointing out details in the resort as we walked through.

Kidani is beautiful and the rooms are huge which dh and I really liked, amazing master bath. The point chart is also great. And we definitely will go back there some time. I am not saying our kids did not like it— I think they did, but if they had a choice, I do not think they would pick it. Actually, they told me they would not. Our oldest said it was too remote, but our younger two were not able to articulate why for me, except the buses which makes no sense. I mean, Port Orleans is a major bus resort, and they never complained there, never even mentioned it. So I tried to figure it out myself, and I think it is the more laid back adult vibe (not much Disney whimsy, more serious) and also that there is no quick serve food. So, if we had not eaten at the parks for dinner, just because of all the excitement, happens to us a lot, and we arrived back at the resort exhausted at 8, 9pm or later, we found ourselves foraging the gift shop for dinner. I.e. usually frozen pizza. Not a bad option, but a different experience than most other resorts where you can buy all kinds of stuff at 9 pm or so. That gift shop was crowded with food buyers late at night. Lol. Whereas, when we arrived back at Boardwalk late and had not eaten, we made sure to get back before Epcot closed. If we were in the MK we would actually take the monorail to Epcot and walk through to world showcase where we could grab food in France on the way to boardwalk. Options are just more limited at kidani. In the end, just remember, you will all have a great time no matter where you stay. I only ask the kids their take on things because I think it is interesting to hear what they have to say.

Pointwise - 1 Bedroom at Kidani makes the most sense (hits your 2 bathroom check you want)

Ease of Transportation - BLT 1 Bedroom (also hits your 2 bathroom check you want) or one of the Epcot Resorts for a 2 bedroom (with 2 pool/resort days and 2 days at Epcot/HS, that's 4 days in that area and you'll have the ability to walk or take the boat and the kids might enjoy the boardwalk area in general) - maybe lean BC for the kids and the pool, add in your point about if it's light at Animal Kingdom, you'd end up at Epcot anyways for Dinner and you might be in that area for 3 of your nights (easy walk home with the kids hopefully sleeping in their strollers to the room)

Ease of booking - i'd pry use one of your home resorts and use the 11 month window, even though its not a busy time for DVC, sometimes for sanity it's just nice to know you have it booked and you're good to go (even though you'll probably be able to get what you want at the 7-month window.)

Final Judgement - Book the 1 bedroom at Kidani when your 11-month window opens and then try and switch to BC 2 Bedroom

Lol. Whereas, when we arrived back at Boardwalk late and had not eaten, we made sure to get back before Epcot closed. If we were in the MK we would actually take the monorail to Epcot and walk through to world showcase where we could grab food in France on the way to boardwalk. Options are just more limited at kidani. In the end, just remember, you will all have a great time no matter where you stay. I only ask the kids their take on things because I think it is interesting to hear what they have to say.

I think these are excellent points. There have been several occasions where the kiddos fell asleep and we resorted to grabbing from the QS cafe..some of which looked like microwaved food. It would be nice to be able to stroll into Epcot and grab some real food w/o having to pull them out of the strollers. BW/BC is hard to get, but I can see if I can request a "Welcome Home" booking since it's my first as well.

Thanks!

I think these are excellent points. There have been several occasions where the kiddos fell asleep and we resorted to grabbing from the QS cafe..some of which looked like microwaved food. It would be nice to be able to stroll into Epcot and grab some real food w/o having to pull them out of the strollers. BW/BC is hard to get, but I can see if I can request a "Welcome Home" booking since it's my first as well.

Thanks!

A BC 2 bedroom during that time frame, might not be too hard at 7 months...BW would probably be impossible, because they don't have dedicated 2 bedrooms, so you're up against everyone booking studio's and 1 bedrooms, as well as those who want 2 bedrooms...they are releasing the 2 bedroom predictive/availability charts in the next couple of weeks on this forum, but my guess is that the BW 2 bedroom will come out as the hardest to get at the 7 month window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter