• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where to buy groceries

scrapycruiser

DIS Veteran
We will have a rental car and we plan to stop and get groceries on the way to Aulani.
It’s 2 couples and we plan to do breakfast and maybe a couple of lunches the 8 days we’re there.
Also plan to buy wine & liquor.
Where should we buy our groceries? Do the stores there sell alcohol ?
Our flight gets in around 2 pm so by the time we stop for groceries it should be check in time when we get to the resort.
Thanks ahead for any suggestions!

As you drive towards Aulani on the left hand side is Kapolei. In this neighbourhood there is a Walmart, Foodland, Safeway, Target and a Costco. All of those places will have alcohol as well as groceries. We tend to go to Safeway and Target on our Oahu visits.

Agree with PP. It was just DH and I and we got everything we needed at Target. The large quantities at Costco were too much for us, plus we aren't members, but its my understanding that they do have some good prepared meals and meals easy to pop in the oven if you're in a DVC villa.

We were a group of 8 and we shopped at Target and then for smaller items we forgot (like butter) at the ABC Mart across the street. We were only at Aulani for 5 days, so we felt like Costco may be a bit much for us on this trip.

Does Target have a large grocery department? Do they have wine and alcohol?

Yes, Target has alcohol, but the selection isn't the greatest. Safeway usually costs about 5%-10% more but has close to double the selection. Costco has the best prices and a good selection of $12-$25 wines.

The food section of Kapolei Target is small compared to mainland Targets. You'll have no problem finding prepackaged food, but the selection of fresh food is tiny. It definitely does NOT take the place of a regular grocery store if you're planning to cook. Their meat selection is spotty and irregular - on any given day they may only have steaks, ground hamburger, and chicken thighs. The next day they may be sold out of all those items and only have chicken wings, chuck roast, and pork chops.

If someone in your party has commissary privileges, I would suggest stopping by the NEX near the airport.

Costco was great. They have their own brand of liquor sold in the store. They also had a sushi stand in the middle of the store. Sushi was delicious. There gas is also much cheaper than anywhere else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter