• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where to stay for 2015 Marathon???

Momamae

Earning My Ears
All,
I have been doing some research and was curious to where to stay for the Dopey Challenge in 2015? I have been reading OKW, SSR, BCV, and BLT. I just don't know where to book, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

I think BLT offers the most advantage for those early race mornings. Hopping on the monorail as opposed to getting on the bus can save you a good 30 min.

I am interested in the same topic. Not sure yet if I'll run the half or the full marathon. Any difference? Does the monorail run so early in the morning?

We stayed at BW in 2011 and by the time we got to the corrals, the gun had already sounded the start. We just joined the group at the back. :( We were at the bus stop earlier than recommended but traffic was very bad. We sat on that bus a very long time, well over an hour. Don't know if that's typical or we just had a bad year but BW shares a bus with BC so thought I'd mention it.

That same year, our son was at SSR and had no problems getting to and from the races.

I would say BLT has the advantage for getting to the race start. We ran the half in 2013 and the resort and Epcot monorails were both running to get us to the start with plenty of time to spare.

The only downside was the long walk from the finish to the monorail station at Epcot. And walking up and down the ramps at the TTC after the race :lmao:

I have to agree with the monorail resorts...We stayed at BLT for the Glass Slipper Challenge last month. It was great being able to take the monorail. We boarded the monorail by 4am (a little extra sleeping in) and basically got to the race start with enough time to go to the bathrooms and get to the corrals, no rushing. It was great as we didn't have to worry about traffic issues or buses filling up.

Only issue, like PP mentioned is that after the races it is a long walk back to the monorail. The bus pick up locations are closer to the finish of the race. That long trek back to the monorail can be inconvenient. My legs were fine but my feet were killing me from doing so much standing around. There really is no place to sit until you are on the monorail. Another thing to consider is, while BLT is the closest stop to the TTC for the Epcot monorail it is also the last stop on the way back to the resort. It does add a little time after the race to get back. Not terrible but something to consider when chosing the resort.

If you do an epcot resort you can walk from the finish line area back through Epcot to your hotel and not have to deal with the bus transportation, which can be spotty. We've done that the past 3 years. If not those resorts, then I'd def say BLT!

Topic I am interested in myself. If staying at an EPCOT resort can you walk through for the start? Or do you need to take a bus to the entrance?

Topic I am interested in myself. If staying at an EPCOT resort can you walk through for the start? Or do you need to take a bus to the entrance?

Epcot won't be open so they don't let you walk to the start from the Epcot resorts. You have to take a bus to the start, but you can walk through Epcot after the race to get back to your resort if you have a park ticket.

If you do an epcot resort you can walk from the finish line area back through Epcot to your hotel and not have to deal with the bus transportation, which can be spotty. We've done that the past 3 years. If not those resorts, then I'd def say BLT!

Only if you have park admission for that day to use at Epcot. Otherwise, you take the bus back to BCV and BWV.

In the past, my husband and his buddy did walk to the start from OKW, but in recent years they have instructed guests not to walk from there. Plus you have to get across the fence they set up in the middle of the roadway.

I stayed at BLT for GSC last month and loved it. Monorail was great for transportation to and from. I liked the walk from the monorail to/from the start. I thought it was a good warm-up and cool down.

I have heard from lots of people with no issues using the buses. But I have heard just enough problems that I think I'd rather stick to a monorail resort. My second would be BCV or BWV for a walk back through to the resort. But you would need to bus there.

I also like to set my spectators up for easy viewing, so I was happy to have run right past them outside BLT in the PHM. Then they hopped on the monorail and met me at the finish. Had we stayed at BWV or BCV they could have seen me at either of those in the 10k. But they would not have had time to get to the finish. I'm not fast, but I am quicker than the group of them walking to a busstop, getting on a bus, getting off and walking to the finish;) Its not far to the finish from BWV and BCV on the 10k course. Especially the BCV, that must have been less than a mile from the finish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter