Where to take my son for his 12th birthday

Beauty

DIS Veteran
My son will turn 12 while we are at Disney. We have been many times and I would like to take him somewhere special for his birthday. Any suggestions? I'm thinking "maybe" Chef Mickey's or "Maybe" Crystal Palace....

Advice???

Based on my 11 1/2 year old nephew, I would recommend Chef Mickey's. Although, he enjoys Crystal Palace as well. I guess it depends on who he'd rather spend his birthday with....Mickey, Goofy, etc; or Pooh, Tigger,etc. Either way, I'm sure he'll have a great disney birthday!
:D :)

I would take him to Whispering Canyon and ask for Hedda Lettuce (Suzannen from this board). He will get lots of attention, get to ride a stick horse around, have the entire restaurant singing to him, etc. -- an evening he will NEVER forget!

LTT did a nice setup for my DD's birthday last year! The characters made a big fuss and they even gave her a balloon!

I'm celebrating my son's 12th birthday at WDW in October.

I HAD a breakfast PS at Chef Mickey's for his birthday (found out yesterday we lost it):mad:

Now we're doing Cystal Palace for breakfast. For dinner we're doing LTT. I ordered a birthday cake, since it will be just the two of us, I plan to share it with any other kids seated near our table. After dinner we're doing MNSSHP.

I think Ohana's would also be a good choice for a 12 year old.

Quick question ... sorry to deviate from your question Beauty ... what is the deal with Hedda Lettuce? Can anyone (adult) ask for her and they will have to do the funny stuff or is it just for kids? Dh & I are going for his bday in Nov. Sorry I am not familar with the things that go on at Whispering Canyon! LOL!!!

Lynette -- Most of the servers at WCC are pretty "over the top" and make the meal a true experience. My children (two teens and a 9-year-old) think it is hilarious. Look at ***********'s photos for a couple ideas about the hijinks. One of our servers offered to find our then 13-year-old a girlfriend and proceeded to look for candidates in the restaurant. Hedda Lettuce sent our older teen, whom she had named "Cupcake," to the kitchen to get his own chocolate milk because she was tired of doing it.

We think Suzanne aka Hedda Lettuce is wonderful, plus she posts on this board. But you do NOT have to get her to have funny stuff going on at WCC -- it's pretty much guaranteed.

My 14 DS pick would be breakfast at Donald's Breakfastosaurus. Personally I'd say lunch or dinner at Prime time Café if you want someone to make a fuss over him and possible embarrass him big time. "ohanna's is also a good choice

DS also suggest Biergarten since it is his favorite restaurant at WDW (and anywhere else as far as that goes) or 1900 PArk Fair. Except he changed his mind on 1900 PF once her heard what characters are now there for dinner. However he'd still pick it for the food.

Stay with your Chef Mickey's choice, we took our son there for dinner on his birthday and everyone loved it. The staff and characters made a big fuss over him.

My son is turning 11 on our Nov. trip and choose Sci Fi for his birthday. I called the resturant and ordered a cake for $12.50. I had to pay for the cake over the phone with a credit card.:D

Originally posted by jwsteelman
Stay with your Chef Mickey's choice, we took our son there for dinner on his birthday and everyone loved it. The staff and characters made a big fuss over him.

While the atsmophere is very party like, the food there is so horrible I will never return. I'd rather have breakfast with the mouse at Donald's.

:bounce: My suggestions are: Sci-Fi Dine in is really cool, Chef Mickey's is fun for everyone, Donald's Breakfastasaurus if you want to do a breakfast, Planet Hollywood is cool for older kids if you don't care that the food is pretty average, Rainforest Cafe at DDT or AK and I'm sure he'd have lots of fun @ Disney Quest and there are restaurants there, but I've never been.

Don't forget to get him a button at City Hall on Main Street at the MK. Hope he has an extra special birthday!

I just read a previous post on this thread that someone said the food at Chef Mickeys was bad. NOT TRUE! We have eaten there a dozen times and NEVER had a bad meal. As far as a character buffet, it rivals any out there. ;)

:eek: I just read one of the previous posts on this thread and someone said they didn't like Chef Mickeys! I have eaten there a dozen times and NEVER had a bad meal. Mickey has never let us down. I can't imagine someone not liking it. My mother-in-law is a gourmet and she LOVES it! We took our father-in-law on his 66th birthday and he had a ball, as would anyone. If you've never been, you have to eat there, even if not for his b-day.;)

I just read a previous post on this thread that someone said the food at Chef Mickeys was bad. NOT TRUE! We have eaten there a dozen times and NEVER had a bad meal. As far as a character buffet, it rivals any out there.

Sorry but you'll find plenty who agree with me. IMHO the food there is uneatable. Everything was cold bland and over cooked. I tried the much raved about mashed potatoes and couldn't eat them. Later I read a post from a UK DIS'er who said that if those are good mashed potatoes in the US then no one in the US knows how to cook potatoes. ;) ;)

The first time didn't seem to go through, so I re-typed my response about Chef Mickeys. Oh well, it bears repeating - CHEF MICKEYS RULES!:earseek:

We ate there last year and the food was great. We will be going there this Christmas and can't wait to eat there again!

I'd have to agree with llebrekniT. I've eaten at Chef Mickey's more than once & there is something for everyone at this buffet. We are planning a trip in March with my DM & DD who have gone twice before & it is one of two places that my mother (who is extremely picky) has requested that we dine. BTW, the other is Donald's Breakfastosaurus :D :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter