• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where would you go???

TravelingJen24

DVC Member
My family is already going to Disneyland August 31, but now my husband wants to leave three days earlier and go somewhere else first. I can't decide where to go since we also have our two year old. We travel a lot, but not for that long at a time. I don't know if we should just save the money and wait until next Wed. or try something new. Did I mention I am a hotel snob, so it isn't always cheap. Please help!!! :grouphug:

This would make for a long drive...but San Diego has a lot to offer. We visited San Diego for a few days at the end of our trip a few weeks ago and Loved it!!!

If you don't mind the extra 2 hours more of driving time, that would be a great option :sunny:

I was going to suggest San Diego too. Really beautiful, and you can go to Sea World and the SD Zoo.

As far as being a hotel snob...last year in mid-September I got a good deal on Priceline, $90 for the Westin Horton Plaza. That's a really good price for San Diego. No guarantee that you'll get a Westin, but I noticed that a lot of people who bid on a 4-star in SD get it. I can provide more info on how I got that rate if you're interested.

If you decide on San Diego and want a list of nice hotels, please ask. (My DH is a hotel snob too ;) )

It really depends what you like ;) If you like amusement parks I highly recommend going to Knotts Berry Farm if you have a two year old. They have a really nice section for kids called Camp Snoopy that tots love!!!! Knotts Berry farm is about 15 mins away from Disneyland in Buena Park Cal. There are also several water parks in the area one is right accross the street from Knotts Berry Farm called "Soak city" but I prefer the one in Irvine called "Wild Rivers" That is about 20 mins south on the 5 Freeway from Disneyland.

If you want to venture away from amusement parks there is San Diego but that is a bit of a drive!!!! There are other beaches that are just as nice if not better that are closer. One is where I live in Dana Point California and that is Half the trip to San Diego. The have the ocean institute and a huge pirate ship by the harbor and tide pools. If you like shopping I recommend Laguna Beach which is right next to Dana Point!!!

If you want to do a zoo there is one in Santa Anna that is closer and also the Museum of science is a few minutes away from the zoo. Santa Anna is about 10 minutes from Disney on the freeway.

Hope you have a great trip!!!
JenJen

:Pinkbounc

I also say San Diego. We had gone to the zoo and visited with friends before going to Disneyland and it was a nice change. For the zoo, you are able to stroll along or ride the bus which was nice for us since my daughter was almost two at the time.
Then we drove to Disneyland and that was our full packed day of doing this and that in the park, then our long drive back to Las Vegas, but it was all worth it.

The Santa Ana Zoo is mostly primates, while the SD Zoo has a huge variety of species. Plus SD has a wonderful climate and is a beautiful city.

Ok, I confess I'm a hotel snob also! My recommendation would be the Four Seasons in Carlsbad. This is about 1.5 hour drive from Disneyland and about 30 minutes from San Diego - assuming I have my times correct. This is a beautiful hotel with top notch service. You are near Legoland, Sea World, and San Diego or the beaches. Mission beach was nice. They also, REALLY cater to the kids. When we arrived, they had a crib stocked in the room with baby bath items, swim diaper etc. There was a child sized robe for my older child, they had completly baby proofed the room and left a stuffed frog gift as well as brought milk and cookies for my DS (my DD, being an infant was to little for the milk and cookies). They also had a diaper genie in the bathroom, and had spelled out both children's name with bath alphabet sponges. They even had one of those big plastic babyproofing elephant heads on bath tub faucet! Needless to say we LOVED it, and so far no other hotel has measured up! :)

I was looking into that hotel. I can't believe they went through that much trouble. Even if we don't decide to go to San Diego this trip I will definitely put that hotel on my list of places to go. Thanks.

MousseauMob said:
Ok, I confess I'm a hotel snob also! My recommendation would be the Four Seasons in Carlsbad. This is about 1.5 hour drive from Disneyland and about 30 minutes from San Diego - assuming I have my times correct. This is a beautiful hotel with top notch service. You are near Legoland, Sea World, and San Diego or the beaches. Mission beach was nice. They also, REALLY cater to the kids. When we arrived, they had a crib stocked in the room with baby bath items, swim diaper etc. There was a child sized robe for my older child, they had completly baby proofed the room and left a stuffed frog gift as well as brought milk and cookies for my DS (my DD, being an infant was to little for the milk and cookies). They also had a diaper genie in the bathroom, and had spelled out both children's name with bath alphabet sponges. They even had one of those big plastic babyproofing elephant heads on bath tub faucet! Needless to say we LOVED it, and so far no other hotel has measured up! :)

Wow, that place sounds wonderful. I wish I would have known about that hotel before we left for our trip. We stayed at the Hyatt Islandia right next to Sea World. It was a beautiful place to stay, but the kid friendly one sounds perfect for our family of 3.

I ditto going to Knott's Berry Farm. One of my absolute favorite things to do while in So. Cal, other than DL and getting to a Dodger game!

Other places in San Diego that are pretty kid friendly and should appeal to hotel snobbery ;) are the Paradise Point and the Hotel Del Coronado.

It's not quite as nice as those two, but the La Jolla beach and tennis club is excellent and right on the water.

If you want to stay in the Los Angeles area, you might consider the Renaissance Hotel in Hollywood. It's right next to the Kodak Theater, and you can request a city view or a Hollywood Sign view. That would put you close to the El Capitan Theater, Hollywood scene, Santa Monica Pier, Malibu, La Brea Tarpits, Hollywood Bowl, & not too far from Universal Studios, Downtown LA with Olvera Street & Chinatown, Museum of Natural History & Science Museum, Ghetty Center, not too far from Magic Mountain, Museum of Art - where King Tut exhibit is now, etc.

quiltymom said:
I ditto going to Knott's Berry Farm. One of my absolute favorite things to do while in So. Cal, other than DL and getting to a Dodger game!

Me and the kids got season passes for Knotts Berry Farm and sock city for 105.00 each and we go there ALOT. It is so much fun!!!

Mary Jo said:
Museum of Art - where King Tut exhibit is now, etc.

Mary Jo, King Tut opened approximately a week after our Disney West Coast cruise - I was SO disappointed. But, we've decided to come back in October to DL and DCA, can you tell me how far away the exhibit is from GC? I'm hoping we can catch it on our last day before leaving. Thanks in advance!

lark said:
Other places in San Diego that are pretty kid friendly and should appeal to hotel snobbery ;) are the Paradise Point and the Hotel Del Coronado.

It's not quite as nice as those two, but the La Jolla beach and tennis club is excellent and right on the water.

Oh, I've been wanting to try Hotel Del Coronado FOREVER! It is on my list of must stays, we just haven't made it yet!

Okay, for a two year old, they would probably love to visit Balboa Park in San Diego. It's full of museums, especially the best one is Rhuben H. Fleet Space Center. They have a children's space museum where there's all sorts of Sci-fi activities. Balboa Park also has the Merry-Go-Round and the old train to ride on. Plus, the San Diego Zoo is right next door. Sea World is also close by and there's all sorts of fun things to do for youngsters.

Oh, and Knotts! Egads, the last time I was there the Parachute ride was still in commission! That thing creeped me out. When it dropped, I wrapped my arms around my father's waist like a boa constrictor! But, Knotts has great stuff for kids. It also has *takes a big breath*: SNOOPY!! I've seen the character TWO times now at the San Diego Comic Con and I've missed him both times! He takes off running and just once I'd love to run up and hug him! I love Snoopy. :) Ahem, anyway, there's plenty to do before you hit Disney! Let us know what you decide and hope you have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter