Which camera for fireworks?

sleepyone

DIS Veteran
Are you happy with your camera's firework shots and the speed of start-up/time between shots? If so, what kind of camera do you use?

ETA: How are the prints?

I'v been happy with any camera I've used such as Fuji A345 (extremely low-end), Canon A80, Canon A95, Olympus C8080WZ, Canon Rebel (35mm) and Canon Digital Rebel. The main thing is to really know the limitations and the shutter lag of your camera so you can compensate for the 'imperfections'.

Obviously, a tripod is a must and a dSLR will be the best kind to take these kind slow-shutter-speed captures.

Hi,

I have a 4 megapixel Canon S40 that I've had good results with for fireworks shots. It's about 4 years old, and is speedy enough, though probably slow by current standards. I've got some shots I've taken with it (fireworks included), and bunch more firework specific tips on my site at: Disney.rocket9.net .

I've used multiple Canon Powershot and G-series camera's and been very happy with all of them.

Bernie

rocket9 said:
Hi,

I have a 4 megapixel Canon S40 that I've had good results with for fireworks shots. It's about 4 years old, and is speedy enough, though probably slow by current standards. I've got some shots I've taken with it (fireworks included), and bunch more firework specific tips on my site at: Disney.rocket9.net .

I've used multiple Canon Powershot and G-series camera's and been very happy with all of them.

Bernie
What great pictures! How do the Powershot series photos print? Are they good quality? I'm thinking of buying the Powershot S80.

I've been completely happy with the S40 (for about 4 years, and about 12,000 pictures kept), so I'd expect that you'd do just as well with the S80. It's small enough to carry around (though not an ultra compact compared to what's available today), with good features both in Auto point and shoot, and good controls for dropping into manual mode.

I've done prints as large as 8x10 with excellent results, in fact just had two 8x10's printed at Walmart right before the holiday's that came out excellent... Walmart printing is usually my last choice for quality, but needed the pictures right away... I use various online services, mostly KodakGallery (previously Ofoto). I've done some head-to-head tests occasionally sending the same file to multiple services, only one in the last year was Ofoto vs Walmart, with Ofoto being the easy winner.

Though I would recommend that you only shoot in best quality, highest resolution, so that you can always get a print made if you get a shot you really like. Memory and storage is cheap and always getting cheaper.

Bernie

Thanks for the reply! I'm looking forward to getting my new camera and testing it out!

Also, just occured to me, that you may wish to read the online reviews at:
http://dpreview.com/

I've found this to be a really great digital photography review site, with I think fair reviews. The S80 scores very well.

Bernie

this was taken with my Kodak Easyshare 5.0
no tripod
this one I blew up to 16x20 and it looks great

mksmall.jpg

Canon 1S IS
ISO 400
1/25th Second
Manual Focus = Infinity
Hand Held

18721IMG_0723.JPG

Caskbill said:
Canon 1S IS
ISO 400
1/25th Second
Manual Focus = Infinity
Hand Held

18721IMG_0723.JPG
:thewave:Thanks for listing your settings! That is a beautiful shot! Do you mind if I use it for my desktop picture? Pretty please?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter