Which is the best 1st "thrill" ride?

westie55

DIS Veteran
Hi! This summer my family will be travelling to Disney when my older son is turning 4. He has been to Disney before and is very excited about trying some "big kid" rides. At 41" last time he was measured, he is tall enough to try SDMT, Splash, and Slinky Dog Dash. I am leaning towards letting him give them a try since he is eager to do so, but I don't want him to become scared. This will be our first visit to Toy Story land so we haven't been on SDD yet and I don't know what to expect at all. Splash is mostly very tame but the big drop can be harrowing. I remember not liking the drop as a kid although I loved the ride. Granted I was probably around 11 when Splash opened so that's very different than 4. SDMT is fast and throws you around a little, but I guess overall it is a mild coaster that I see other small kids riding. What do all of you think would be the best of these rides for him to try out first? I don't want him to be terrified and then refuse to go on anything the else the rest of the trip ;) Thanks for any advice!

You didn't mention Big Thunder Mountain.

Do you think Big Thunder Mtn is more mild than the others? It's been a while since I've ridden it and I don't remember. I figured the Mine Train has the dwarfs so there's some little kid appeal to keep it a bit less scary or threatening.

I think 7DMT might be the best 1st thrill ride. It is definitely geared more for kids and I think kids fit more snuggly in the seats than other rides. Plus it is shorter so if he hates it, there is less time for him to be stuck on it. Also, Barnstormer might be a good coaster to try.

Do you think Big Thunder Mtn is more mild than the others? It's been a while since I've ridden it and I don't remember. I figured the Mine Train has the dwarfs so there's some little kid appeal to keep it a bit less scary or threatening.

Here's the thing.
YOU know your child better than any of us can guess.

I just added BTM to the mix because it is so well-liked by so many guests of all ages.

And, I can only assume that you didn't include Barnstormer as it has long been considered a
"kids' ride" and not in the same category as traditional "thrill rides" at WDW.

Has your son been on any rides before? If not I’d probably start with barnstormer myself since it’s really made for little kids... and then move up from there. My DD happens to love roller coasters so the bigger the better for her.

Big thunder mountain is larger then 7DMT so In MK if you don’t know if he will like them 7DMT is a good start (or barnstormer) and then move over to the other mountains. DD was 4 last time we were there and liked 7DMT but LOVED big thunder... and I just didn’t tell her about splash (I was pregnant and it’s my favorite so I wanted to take her on her first ride on splash myself, which is coming up soon!).

I would go with 7DMT- it doesn't go very fast, is very smooth, has the slow mine scene in the middle, and is a short ride.

We made the mistake of letting my DD ride BTMR as her very first ride when she was 4 and it didn't work out too well- she's 9 now and LOVES it but after that ride she was scared to get on anything else. Every kid is different though!

My son rode SDMT at 3 1/2. He loves that ride. After he turned 4, he was tall enough for all of the 40" height rides. His favorite of those were splash mountain, test track, and tower of terror. He for some reason did not like Soarin' as much. He also liked star tours at first, then changed his mind.

We started our kids off on Barnstormer. They loved it and (nearly) everything else was easy after that - granted, 7DMT didn't exist back then, and they were 6, 6 and 7 that first trip. After her first ride on Splash Mountain, one DD sat it out for a year or two. My other two never had an issue with anything. And though we all LOVE BTMR, it's awfully loud at parts imho. Have an awesome time!!!

I think I'd start with Barnstormer. Then 7d. Then Big Thunder.
If he doesn't "like" 7d, still do splash, no matter what. If he likes 7d and big Thunder, slinky will be no issue.
If he likes drops, and is not "spooked" by TOT - go for it!!!!!!

Barnstormer is a kiddie street carnival ride, btw. He might find it boring, or he might love it, and want to power up immediately.

Here's the thing.
YOU know your child better than any of us can guess.

This is what it boils down to. You know your child best.

If I recall, we had DD do Barnstormer first, then BTMRR, then 7DMT, then Space, then RnR.

I think 7DMT might be the best 1st thrill ride. It is definitely geared more for kids and I think kids fit more snuggly in the seats than other rides. Plus it is shorter so if he hates it, there is less time for him to be stuck on it. Also, Barnstormer might be a good coaster to try.
I take strong exception to 7DMT being geared more for kids. :)

It is a very good ride for the entire family. I can’t imagine he wouldn’t like it. I guess why that’s why it is the hottest ride in MK-everyone likes it.

Barnstormer is a great intro coaster for the little ones. Very timid and also very, very short. SDMT would be the next step up after Barnstormer IMO. Then go from there.

Barnstormer is a great intro coaster for the little ones. Very timid and also very, very short. SDMT would be the next step up after Barnstormer IMO. Then go from there.

This is exactly how I'd do it, too. Even though I don't consider 7DMT intense, I know kids who are good with Barnstormer but don't like 7DMT. All the other coasters we're discussing are a step up from 7DMT, so I'd start there. So much depends on the child, too. My nephews were happy riding coasters at 4 that my kids still don't like as teens!

This is exactly how I'd do it, too. Even though I don't consider 7DMT intense, I know kids who are good with Barnstormer but don't like 7DMT. All the other coasters we're discussing are a step up from 7DMT, so I'd start there. So much depends on the child, too. My nephews were happy riding coasters at 4 that my kids still don't like as teens!

I agree on 7DMT not being intense at all. Very smooth ride and not jerky. Also depending on where you sit matters. I've been towards the front and the very back. The very back you get more of a thrill and also the cars sway a bit more freely towards the back than they do the front.

When dd was 3, we started with Barnstormer, then went to BTMRR, but that was many years ago! At MK, I'd still start with Barnstormer, then do either BTMRR or 7DMT. I don't think it matters which. If you start at DHS, then go for SDD. It wasn't that intense, but with great theming.

Big Thunder. I think 7DMT is an ok ride and has some decent theming, but Big Thunder is a very manageable thrill ride that builds to a fun crescendo. We haven't been on Slinky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter