Which is the best 1st "thrill" ride?

I say 7DMT. My daughter loved it at 3.5, my son tolerated it at 3 enough to ride it twice. Same son did not like SDD. I think because it was more open and faster with bigger hills than SDMT. SDMT is a little more enclosed with big turns.

We like to start big. My fondest Disney memory is chasing my then 3 year old daughter back to the entrance of Space Mountain moments before midnight with her screaming "One more time Daddy" all the way. She ran so fast she lost her hair bow on the way.

I think a 4 year old would be fine if he's tall enough.

Thanks everyone! This is exactly what I'm looking for: others' experiences with similar aged kids (even though they're all different). I do know him best, of course, but he has never done any roller coasters or rides beyond what I'd consider kiddie rides so it's uncharted territory. I forgot about Barnstormer. Perhaps we'll try that first and move up the ladder from there. I'm still not sure where Splash Mountain fits into all of this lol. It's kind of a separate entity because it isn't a coaster. I don't think my son will be tall enough for Space Mountain, and since that's in the dark and he can't sit beside me, I would save that for future years anyway.

Personally, I would go with 7DMT as an introductory "thrill ride" for a 4 year old. It's super cute, quick, smooth, and has a secure feeling to it. I thought Barnstormer was fun but bumpy. It left me feeling more jostled around than I expected from a kid coaster. I think after 7DMT might be a good time for Barnstormer, because then you could say, "This will feel EASY now!" and have two rides under his belt. After Barnstormer, I would do Splash and then, finally, ThunderMtn - which seems speedier and small bodies tend to slide around on the benches if there is only one other in the seat.
I think Slinky is an awesome ride, but it's high, and may not be the best for the maiden voyage - it might be a "work up to" ride once he's feeling confident and assured. It's so fun to watch them build confidence and excitement and of course, if he's not quite ready, there are plenty of other fun things to do! Have a blast!

Trust your gut— My kid loved rides like ToT, but the theming terrified her and even at 12 she won’t go back after I insisted at 8. Better yet, my gut was wrong, trust your spouses gut..

I agree start with 7DMT. Has some turns and drops but is super smooth and like PP said the seats are small so it's pretty snug. Barnstormer isn't scary but is bumpier and more open. Splash has one big drop, but overall isn't that intense. BTMRR is one of my favorites but definitely has a bit more kick to it for little ones. Slinky was surprising good - I think it feels scarier because it's so open. You feel like you're higher up. My son was three last year and rode them all - Slinky was the one he wasn't sure about doing again. DD rode them all at 4+ and the only ride she wouldn't repeat was ToT, she loved all the others including RnR once she was tall enough. I won't even ride ToT though...those drops :worried:

It’s so hard to know what’s best. Kids are so very different. We have four boys and they all liked thrill rides at different ages. One of the boys has been riding ToT since he was four and rode everything as soon as he was tall enough. My youngest, 17 and 6’5, still won’t ride ToT!

I'd start with Barnstormer, gauge the reaction, and take things from there. If things go well, "graduate" to 7DMT and then, if that goes well, BTMR.

His favorite of those were splash mountain, test track, and tower of terror. He for some reason did not like Soarin' as much.

Your DS and my DD sound really similar! Last year DD was 3 and her favorite ride was tower of terror. She was a little reluctant to do test track, but eventually tried it and liked it. She did Soarin' once and refused to do it again. I still don't understand why.

Definitely Barnstormer first if he has never been on a coaster. Then 7DMT. After that - I think SDD and BTMRR are in the same league - so I don't think it matters which one is next.

As for Splash - also judge his tolerance to getting wet. That big drop can be scary for some kids - so I'd make sure he liked 7DMT first. If that goes fine, then I think Splash will, too. But - if he gets really wet and doesn't like that (I hated wet shoes as a kid and it's even worse as an adult) - maybe give him the choice. In retrospect - I feel for my parents. I did like log flume rides - but I really did complain about wet shoes the rest of the day if they got super wet. I have no idea how they ignored my complaining so well!

Don't trick or force a kid on thrill rides if they tell you they don't want to go. I was one of those kids forced on a large coaster too early - and I think its why I have low tolerance to thrill rides as an adult. It was TOO scary. When you think you are going to fall out and die - that makes an impression that is hard to get over.

When my daughter was 4 and son was 6, we rode BTMRR as their first ride at MK. They loved it, and to this day it is one of their favorite rides. It was a great memory. If you are unsure if your child will like roller coasters, Barnstormer is a short and smooth ride.

Last edited:
We took our son on Barnstormer when he was 3yrs 10 months and he has refused to go on anything resembling a roller coaster since then and he's now 8. Except for Test track, which he loved. We're trying to coax him back on next time when he's a few weeks shy of 9, but might skip Barnstormer since it clearly traumatized him. I think it was just too bumpy and he said he didn't like the drops... So again, every kid is different. I'd ask your son what he wants to go on - watch ride videos of both Barnstormer and 7D and see which appeals to him more.

Another vote for the barnstormer. It was my lo’s first and favorite (I’m pretty sure my youngest was only 2 when he went on it) the one I would stay away from is SPace Mountain That ride always scared me because they had to sit alone and it is so jerky I was afraid they would fall out and would hold their shirt( they hated it and it hurt me) splash is also iffy as that drop can be pretty scary for kids and some adults (my DH)

If Splash is an option that would be my first choice. Our kids LOVED that ride. Awesome theming, one "big" drop and a couple of small drops. Very fun.

Hi! This summer my family will be travelling to Disney when my older son is turning 4.
What do all of you think would be the best of these rides for him to try out first? I don't want him to be terrified and then refuse to go on anything the else the rest of the trip ;) Thanks for any advice!
Our last trip was 2 weeks before my son turned 4, and he was 41 inches as well. He absolutely loved SDD (rode 4 times) and Big Thunder (rode twice). Also really enjoyed Splash, the drop didn't phase him. SDMT was fine, but didn't really appeal to him. We skipped Dinosaur, because I was worried it would scare him (the theming, not the ride itself).

I'd let him try anything he's up for! We even tried TOT (he didn't like it, but wants to try again this year).

My son is an odd, but cute one! :love: He did BTMRR at 3 years old and it didn't phase him one bit. He rode Barnstormer at 7 years old and swore he had to go to the bathroom right as we got to the loading. He had JUST went minutes prior. :rolleyes1 I knew what was going on....he was scared. However, once he returned and got on it, he was okay. I let him sit with my husband and I rode alone...my son did just fine! :D Now, at 11 he says he wants to do Expedition Everest in AK and ride BTMRR again when we go in June. :woohoo:

My favorite mountain too. I think it was my first.

Oh! First mountain....mine was Splash, then Space, then Thunder Mountain. I can't do Space anymore, it literally makes me VERY ill. :worried:

My sons first was space mountain, I think it helped that he didnt know what he was getting himself into cause he couldn't see it. He was 5

I would do Space if it was side by side like at DL, but without being able to hold his hand I don't think my son will do Space until he's a little bit older. He'd be terrified, poor thing!

He loves the other mountains though.

Both my kids when they had just turned 5, loved splash and 7dmt. DD liked BTMR but DS didn't like it the first time because of the noise of it. The second time around I was able to cover his ears during all the uphill climbs and he loved it.
As far as Splash goes explain it as we're gonna take an easy boat ride with fun music and couple slides in it. Dont play the drop up or you'll worry the kiddo.

Has he or she done Barnstormer yet? That’s a great first “rollercoaster.” Thunder Mountain would be my next choice. Splash is fun, but that big drop may scare a first timer. I haven’t done SDD yet, so I can’t speak for that one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter