Which One of You Folks On the Interwebz Snuck onto Discovery Island?

"Lake sturgeon are an awesome sight. The largest fish in the Great Lakes, they can grow to be nine feet long and weigh more than 300 pounds."

No gators or sharks, but yeah, NO!!! They've got sturgeon in Shasta and the idea of them scares me more than sharks. But not more than gators.

Once when we were swimming in Shasta nDH swam up underwater and grabbed my toes as a 'joke'. I nearly broke his nose kicking out.

Matt Somswa on youtube released a video of him talking about his escape on Discovery Island. From what I can tell, there are no cameras or motion detectors on the island or they would have found him. He got caught leaving the island on a raft.

So you're telling me Teamubr's truck is safe. Darn.

Bama Ed

Ohhh no! Nononononnono!! I was only told never to turn my back on dark water in FL. Now I have to watch the FENCES too???!!
As a sidebar, a lot of people think that Disney fenced all of the beaches and lined the shore with rip-rap to keep the gators off the beach. It's actually to keep the people away from the water. An alligator could fairly easily negotiate the obstacle if they wanted to, but probably wouldn't bother (probably not) because it's easier for them to go another hundred yards further down one way or another to go to land. They cross land heading for another body of water to look for a girlfriend, or the smaller ones to get away from the bigger ones to avoid becoming a snack.

Crap. Do you know how hard it is to talk my wife into driving 16 hours to the Fort? Now I have to shield her from this.
Sorry. I live on a lake and I watch alligators like some people watch birds. They are all over and really stay away from people unless they have been fed, Then they become a pest and have to be removed. I give them a lot of room and don't pretend in the least that they are cute and cuddly like a bunny (You'd be surprised how some people do). They don't come on land to chase people down. They would rather run the other way. Take the wife to Gatorland next time you come down, it's only about 20 minutes from Fort Wilderness.

Sorry. I live on a lake and I watch alligators like some people watch birds. They are all over and really stay away from people unless they have been fed, Then they become a pest and have to be removed. I give them a lot of room and don't pretend in the least that they are cute and cuddly like a bunny (You'd be surprised how some people do). They don't come on land to chase people down. They would rather run the other way. Take the wife to Gatorland next time you come down, it's only about 20 minutes from Fort Wilderness.

DH and I have seen those Gatorland signs on the highway. And here we thought those were just the 'Welcome to Florida' signs. 😂

Seriously though, I haven't seen hide nor tail of a gator anywhere on either of our trips. And I've been keeping a close watch, especially since we have a small dog!

I haven't been to gaterland in like 35 years. Lol. Good to know its still there.
When I was a kid, we're talking 65' 66' we went to all those roadside tourist traps. The Parrot Jungle, Gatorland, The Miami Seaquarium, Silver Springs and the glass bottom boats. Cypress Gardens, and probably a bunch more I don't remember. We came down every year to visit family in Jacksonville and Ft. Lauderdale and if it was off of 301 or A1A, we saw it!

When I was a kid, we're talking 65' 66' we went to all those roadside tourist traps. The Parrot Jungle, Gatorland, The Miami Seaquarium, Silver Springs and the glass bottom boats. Cypress Gardens, and probably a bunch more I don't remember. We came down every year to visit family in Jacksonville and Ft. Lauderdale and if it was off of 301 or A1A, we saw it!
Marine Land.

Last year when we were at the Fort, up on the canal behind our site there was a gator, somewhat smaller not too big but not small either, maybe 4 ft laying on the other side of the canal. It saw us or my dog, wasn't sure who it saw first she was on a long leash, and it literally came flying across the canal towards us. Fast. We freaked and ran lol. But honestly now I think maybe someone was feeding it? Because it was going fast. We did tell them at the Fort and they sent a guy to try to catch it bc it was either not friendly or too friendly lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!