Which resort? Adult couple no parks, 3 nights.

E

eeyoresmom

DH are heading down for a long weekend April 6-9. No parks. Looking forward to using the gym, hanging out by the pool, enjoying the resort and some low key night life. These resorts have availability right now. Which would you pick and why?
AKV Savanna view
OKW (no availability near HH)
SSR
Boardwalk (pool or garden view)

Is the gym closed at SSR? DH loves Epcot, but since this is a no park trip BW might be too much of a tease????? Would really appreciate some input. Thanks everyone.

I'd be tempted by SSR. Though I've never stayed there, point values are reasonably low, there is the spa on site, and a nice pleasant walk or boat trip (I think) to Downtown Disney.

Boardwalk would be my choice, you can go to the clubs such as Jellyrolls (haven't been but heard its really fun) and enjoy the atmosphere. Plus you are within walking distance of Swan Dolphin and Yacht/Beach Club. So lots of things to do close by.

Thank you. I do have it narrowed down to SSR or AKV now, but can not decide. They are both such great resorts but so different. I better make up my mid soon or availability will make it up for me :hourglass

Boardwalk would be my choice, you can go to the clubs such as Jellyrolls (haven't been but heard its really fun) and enjoy the atmosphere. Plus you are within walking distance of Swan Dolphin and Yacht/Beach Club. So lots of things to do close by.

I agree, but do you think it would be too tempting to be so close to the parks as we do not have tickets?

I agree, but do you think it would be too tempting to be so close to the parks as we do not have tickets?

In our many years of going to WDW, we find ourselves spending a little more time at the resort and less time at the parks. We usually go to the parks to dine. We still like the attractions, but since our son is now in college, we just don't have the same need as when he was ten.

We like the pools (even the water parks). But we enjoy just sitting on the porch. SSR would be my choice for a parkless trip (or OKW). We are not HH-area fans at OKW and prefer Southpoint or Millers Road.

Does anyone know if the spa at SSR will be reopened by April 6th?

spa is closed at SSR and I *think* will still be closed in April, though you will want to confirm that if it plays into you decision at all. we were at SSR two weeks ago and the (very nice and large) gym was open sporadically: my DH went one day and got rerouted to OKW which was a pain and he said was tiny and then two days later it was open.
we LOVED SSR and can't wait to go back though. I loved the grounds and walking to DTD, even from the treehouses.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Hi Figee. We are from Worcester also. Nice to meet you :goodvibes Ugh! If the spa and gym were open we would definitely go with SSR. Right now I have AKV Jambo booked with a Savanna view. Really not sure which to go with. If we stay at AKV we will do our first night at Jiko second at DTD we are leaving at 6:30 the next evening so planning a casual dinner. I'm just a little concerned we MIGHT be bored at AKV for 3 days since we are not doing the parks.

eeyoresmom said:
Does anyone know if the spa at SSR will be reopened by April 6th?

We are booked at SSR in May. We received a letter saying the spa would be closed into the summer. Can't remember the exact date.

I like OKW since it is so well landscaped and you have the boat to Downtown Disney. Also I like the restaurant a bit better than SSR. SSR also has excellent access to Downtown Disney (walk) and lots of pleasant walks.

Once you get to Downtown Disney, you have access to all non-park Disney locations since it is a transportation hub.

At AKV you have to take a bus to the parks or Downtown Disney and then you have access to the rest of Disney. Also, you can end up with a room miles :) from your car or the bus.

eeyoresmom said:
Hi Figee. We are from Worcester also. Nice to meet you Ugh! If the spa and gym were open we would definitely go with SSR. Right now I have AKV Jambo booked with a Savanna view. Really not sure which to go with. If we stay at AKV we will do our first night at Jiko second at DTD we are leaving at 6:30 the next evening so planning a casual dinner. I'm just a little concerned we MIGHT be bored at AKV for 3 days since we are not doing the parks.

glad to "meet" another worcester member. I have no insight on AKL as I have never stayed there but would love to some day.
even though we were only able to use the gym two days of our vacation, we really enjoyed being able to walk/jog all around (even to OKW) and even had a great time renting a surrey bike to ride around one day! we absolutely loved the pools there too.
I am sure you will have a great time no matter where you end up!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Right now I have AKV Jambo booked with a Savanna view. Really not sure which to go with. If we stay at AKV we will do our first night at Jiko second at DTD we are leaving at 6:30 the next evening so planning a casual dinner. I'm just a little concerned we MIGHT be bored at AKV for 3 days since we are not doing the parks.

have you been to AKV - it has lots to do - what do you like - it has a very nice pool, 2 hot tubs, a gym, activities - some are very entertaining - do the tours if you can, a great gift shop. this place is an african musuem. so lots of art work - painting, masks, etc.

you can go see the animals if you get bored - but never been bore at AKV - it is really a different place.

We have been to both many times. Love them both, they are just so different. DH just had me change the reservation to SSR.He loves to workout on vacation so hopefully the gym will be open. I think I am going to request Congress Park or Springs. Haven't stayed at SSR for a few years so I am off to research what is new there. Thanks for the input everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter