Which should I choose for DHS dinner? (Not about the food)

Which is the place to go if you take the food issue out?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

challer

DIS Veteran
I'm looking for a dinner experience at Hollywood Studios. Now, this isn't a food discussion. We will be having kosher meals, so the food will be exactly the same no matter where. This is purely for themed environment, location, convenience, etc.

Whaddaya think?

I would have said Holly Wood and Vine because the characters in their special outfits are great, but I'd hate for you to pay the full buffet price for one plated Kosher meal. I'd probably go with Mama Melrose because I imagine it will be the least expensive since Hollywood Brown Derby is signature.

It really depends on what kind of dining you enjoy. We like Mama Melrose for the family restaurant atmosphere and good food. We like the upscale food and atmosphere of Brown Derby. Sci Fi is a lot of fun and has great theming if you like the drive-in atmosphere and the continuously playing sci-fi movie clips. Both Mama Melrose and Brown Derby are better if you enjoy good conversation with your meal.

For environment only, I would do Sci-Fi or 50s PTC before any of those 3 choices. Unless you want character dining, then the H&V is a really good choice. Mama Melrose and Brown Derby are both nice, but I would not say there is anything about the overall experience that is that special or unique.

Given the list of restaurants the OP may be looking at booking a Fantasmic Dining Package.

Hollywood and Vine would be last on my list unless I were specifically looking for a character meal. Very loud and chaotic, can be hit and miss with things like sticky floors during busy times.

Mama Melrose has a Mulberry Street feel. Bustling, can be loud.

Hollywood Brown Derby is more upscale and quieter in feel. Service tends to be better here. If for Fantasmic Dining I don't think I'd pay the upcharge for Brown Derby if the food served were to be the same as at Mama Melrose. Otherwise, I would probably choose Mama Melrose with younger kids, Brown Derby for couples or an older family.

For themed I would pick the Sci Fi or 50s Prime time. But from your list the only place is Hollywood and Vine because of the characters. The other two are regular restaurants.

If you have kids (or adults!) that would enjoy the characters, then Hollywood and Vine.
Personally, I am a huge fan of the "Old Hollywood" vibe at the Brown Derby, so that would be my pick.

But I agree with a couple others that if Sci Fi is an option, I would choose that. Definitely a unique experience you can't get anywhere else!

Yeah you made it hard when you said it was for environment.

I'd pick Sci Fi or 50's Prime OR if you have kids/or enjoy characters H&V.

HBD might be nice but it would depend on cost since you will have your own meals. To me that is a theme/food experience.

Last edited:
If you are looking for dining experience it has to be The Sci-Fi. I like the place for the atmosphere. In my opinion the food is "okay", but nothing special. It's all about the experience.
If I was choosing for food, I would go with 50's Prime Time. It is also something of an experience, but not as much as The Sci-Fi.

Another vote for Sci-Fi here! Not only is the aesthetic so great, but that was one of the quietest meals I've ever had at WDW. Not eerily quiet or anything, but I never had trouble hearing my dining companions speak, unlike other places where it seems there's always a constant roar of voices, hustle, and bustle.

If this is about the Fantasmic pkg and the standard food is out of the equation, Hollywood & Vine would be my pick. We call it Hollywood & Vile because of the food, and after a mediocre meal at Mama Melrose, HBD would be my bet if this were about food...so, it's really hard to say H&V. Still, we'd consider H&V the most fun of the three.

We've only eaten at H&V and Brown Derby - enjoyed the ambiance at both, but they couldn't be more different! H&V's food was pretty lame, but the characters were awesome (went for the Disney Junior lunchtime characters) and it was our little one's favorite character meal. Brown Derby's food was great, and we really liked the calm, quiet atmosphere.

For environment only, I would do Sci-Fi or 50s PTC before any of those 3 choices. Unless you want character dining, then the H&V is a really good choice.

I wouldn't go to any of the above just for theme or location. I would pick either Sci-Fi Dine In, or 50's Prime Time Cafe.

For themed I would pick the Sci Fi or 50s Prime time. But from your list the only place is Hollywood and Vine because of the characters. The other two are regular restaurants.
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!