Who has made the move to FL?

Completely beginning to get excited and panic at the same time...!!!! I think my dh is going to get one offer, maybe two, soon. One is with a company that is based in FL but the job is remote. SO, we can live ANYWHERE!!! Other job is with a company in the Houston area and we have to live in Houston. I'm torn. We are from TX and most (like 90%) of my family is in the Houston area so living there is very appealing. But being close to family is the only reason we'd even remotely consider Houston. No offense to Houston peeps but the traffic and crime have gotten bad.

I feel very guilty choosing FL over TX if we have that option. However, there are some things that are simply better about FL...like the lower property taxes and homeschool options...So we may just choose FL. I'm looking at Pensacola since that would be closer to TX. Any cautions/words of wisdom? I think before we make a move, we will head back to FL to look around again. We really loved the Tampa area. I could see us living there. I love that we might have an option but also overwhelmed by options!

For your husband's job, would Pensacola airport offer the same flights and deals as Tampa or Orlando? I recall you once mentioned your daughter wanting to work at Disney, so Pensacola would be a bit far for that. I haven't been to Pensacola since I was a kid living in Panama City and my brother played travel baseball there, but you would still probably have the lower Alabama jokes and feel about the area. You won't be able to pop over to Disney for the day or half day and return home. Google maps says it is a 7 hour drive, so about the same if you lived in SC, GA, etc.

Airport options are a concern. I tried to do some looking at flights going in and out of there. The airport is probably workable but not ideal.

Yeah, definitely not close to Disney. We are currently about 26 hours away though so Pensacola feels almost walkable lol.

Tampa or Orlando are definitely better options as he’d need to be in Boca a few times a year for corporate meetings. Other travel is to various places, many in northeast.

Completely beginning to get excited and panic at the same time...!!!! I think my dh is going to get one offer, maybe two, soon. One is with a company that is based in FL but the job is remote. SO, we can live ANYWHERE!!! Other job is with a company in the Houston area and we have to live in Houston. I'm torn. We are from TX and most (like 90%) of my family is in the Houston area so living there is very appealing. But being close to family is the only reason we'd even remotely consider Houston. No offense to Houston peeps but the traffic and crime have gotten bad.

I feel very guilty choosing FL over TX if we have that option. However, there are some things that are simply better about FL...like the lower property taxes and homeschool options...So we may just choose FL. I'm looking at Pensacola since that would be closer to TX. Any cautions/words of wisdom? I think before we make a move, we will head back to FL to look around again. We really loved the Tampa area. I could see us living there. I love that we might have an option but also overwhelmed by options!

Yay! Congrats!!
I have only ever vacationed in Pensacola but I commented to DH at the time that I would like to move there.
Good luck with your decision.

Yay! Congrats!!
I have only ever vacationed in Pensacola but I commented to DH at the time that I would like to move there.
Good luck with your decision.
We have some family there, so I have visited, but they don't get to Disney much. They love the area for them, though, being retired military and Florida weather. I liked it, but don't love it but have had it on the list though because we do have family there. I suppose it's because I feel too much of a military town for me, I know there is more that's just my general feeling, and we don't really want that and we are also military associated I just want to have more than that in retirement and that seems to be their main focus is going to the NEX and the commissary etc. And, just a bit too far from what we really like to do. But, for others the area can be perfect.

I really like Navarre and Gulf Breeze feel a lot more, only that Highway 98 seems crowded and is the main road.
Airport options are a concern. I tried to do some looking at flights going in and out of there. The airport is probably workable but not ideal.
I've flown into the airport before twice, through Memphis and Atlanta hubs. MCO is definitely an easier or should I say more direct airport to get from point A to B from many places. We've also flown into the Jacksonville Airport via Atlanta. Nice airport, but also seem to need to get there through a hub.

I lived in Florida for 2 years. I lived in Venice and there were things I loved and things I hated. I am from the Boston area so it was a bit of a culture shock, and although I had been for vacation several times, it is very different when you live there.
What I loved:
The beaches were beautiful and there were so many they never felt crowded like they do here.
The water is soooooo warm...it's flipping freezing here!
The cost of housing (back then anyway) was more affordable, and I lived within walking distance of a beach.
Life is definitely more laid back, even when you have to work. lol
Being closer to WDW and Universal! Which sadly I didn't visit often. :guilty:
Less issues with allergies and pain (I have chronic illnesses)
Lots of attractions, outdoor activities and most of the popular areas (Key West, Miami, Orlando) were only a couple of hours away! Not hard to get away for a weekend or have a mini vacation!
What I didn't like:
Lower pay
Less job opportunities for me (childcare).
No change of seasons (I LOVE Fall!)
Being away from family
Tourist season...ugh.
Tropical storms and hurricanes. You get used to it though believe it or not.
The heat in the summer. It's rough, really rough, but I looked at it like it was our winter. lol. Here everyone stays in the house in the winter to get away from the cold, in Florida you stay in the house in the summer for the A/C! :tongue:And here in the winter we start our cars to let them warm up, there you start your car to let it cool down.There is no perfect climate, you just find ways to deal.

Yeah, definitely not close to Disney. We are currently about 26 hours away though so Pensacola feels almost walkable lol.

Tampa or Orlando are definitely better options as he’d need to be in Boca a few times a year for corporate meetings. Other travel is to various places, many in northeast.

I asked my DH and he feels it would be very limited flights and always going to have to have a layover elsewhere.

Pensacola may be a very nice area to visit, but I don’t see it meeting your needs based on the information you previously provided. I think near TPA or MCO.

But a seven hour drive.

If you have pay for a hotel each time versus going home to your own bed... the discount doesn’t compensate for the hotel cost.

I don't know. Depends what you like. I prefer to be immersed in the Disney magic. I don't think I'd care for day trips at all.

FWIW - the Tampa airport is great, I like it better than MCO by far. We live south of Tampa and love the area.

I don't know. Depends what you like. I prefer to be immersed in the Disney magic. I don't think I'd care for day trips at all.

That's the difference with locals. If we want to go just for lunch, we go just for lunch. I know there was a local on disboards who mentioned it was their family tradition to go to the Main street Bakery for a cinnamon role after church. I recall because she was upset when the bakery was being transformed into Starbucks. I go to Orlando all the time but rarely spend the night. My daughter is at Disney this weekend with a friend, just hanging out at ESPN WWoS. I took my daughter for her birthday last year, we left after she got out of school for the day (around 3PM) and went to the dessert party and fireworks and came home. Went back the following weekend her her friends in tow.

It is a totally different experience for locals. When we had our annual passes and all four kids were younger, we would decide to go the morning of, let each pick one ride each, did those rides, then just filled in the rest of the day impromptu, then went back home. No planning required. Actually, it is so much better to go commando with no plans and no pressure to fill up the day with fast passes, etc.

Since OP has a daughter who wants to eventually look at working at Disney, being close would help her DD be able to accomplish that better. Orlando is too expensive to live in as a single young person.

I suppose it's because I feel too much of a military town for me, I know there is more that's just my general feeling, and we don't really want that and we are also military associated I just want to have more than that in retirement and that seems to be their main focus is going to the NEX and the commissary etc. And, just a bit too far from what we really like to do. But, for others the area can be perfect.

I really like Navarre and Gulf Breeze feel a lot more, only that Highway 98 seems crowded and is the main road.

I've flown into the airport before twice, through Memphis and Atlanta hubs. MCO is definitely an easier or should I say more direct airport to get from point A to B from many places. We've also flown into the Jacksonville Airport via Atlanta. Nice airport, but also seem to need to get there through a hub.

I wondered how much of a military town Pensacola would feel like. We are not military, and while I respect and love our military, I am not sure I want to live in a military town.

I noticed how few direct flights Jax has. Seems strange for such a large city but maybe I am thinking it is bigger than it really is.

We are Disney bubble people too but I think it all changes for the locals. At first, I didn't think I'd like the 'local experience' either b/c we love to just get immersed in the magic but after being there and driving around and popping over to a resort for a meal and then leaving, I can see how their experience is pretty cool too. It's just different. I do think I could get used to it :) And as long as I have a healthy stash of cc points, we could still stay onsite here and there!

I'm looking at Pensacola since that would be closer to TX. Any cautions/words of wisdom

As you know I've been here in Pensacola for 17 years...the military brought me here and the divorce decree kept me here :teeth:

There are definitely good and not so good places to live...if you do visit pm me and I'll try to steer you the right way!

When I first visited friends living here in 1995, they drove through not a great part of town and kept saying "this is just trailer park city, it's horrible." (Please note, I am not denigrating trailer parks, that was their opinion). When I received orders here in 2001, that's all I could think of, so I was NOT happy to move here from civilized Virginia. Once we started looking at neighborhoods and as I became more active in groups, I realized they were so wrong and Pensacola is no worse and definitely better than many places I've lived. Perception became reality for them; fortunately I was able to change my mind.

As a former military brat and member, I get not overdosing on the "military town" thing but I really think it depends on whether you live near the base or not. I can go months without going to that side and when I do it's not a big deal. While Pensacola is appreciative of the military, it's definitely not the only thing that's a focus. That said, there's nothing better on a sunny April (or May or June or July) day than the Blue Angels flying overhead at noon time. They actually were practicing for the Pensacola Beach Airshow and flew overhead when I got married. It was awesome (to me!).

The airport is a small regional airport but it has Southwest now (and a Chic Fil A). What more could anyone want? :)

Disney is a drive, but it's definitely do-able in a day and is just Interstate. I've done it many, many times as a solo driver with no issues. Once you buy Annual Passes it's amazing how you can rationalize the 7 (ish) hour drive!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask or pm me. The area is growing and I enjoy living here more and more every day (granted-it's been in the 70s with low humidity so I'm probably just delirious from 2 weeks of non rainy, non humid weather !!).

I noticed how few direct flights Jax has. Seems strange for such a large city but maybe I am thinking it is bigger than it really is.
I've only visited Jacksonville, not lived, so certainly no expert. But, it did feel like a large city yet very spread out. We really loved the Fruit Cove area when we looked around, however, also not sure if we'd want to do a 30-40 minute or so drive to do some of the things in Jacksonville we would likely want to do. The airport was nice, but yes, I did feel a little limited on flights. MCO though I've flown into quite a bit, and that does always feel overwhelming to me BUT it gets often direct flights (when searching for good rates) kind of nice. Have never flown to the Tampa Airport so no experience there. Would be nice one day to check out that side of Florida.

OP-what is your timeline or DHs timeline to move for a job? What places will be next on your list to check out? This is a really interesting post to follow, my mom is looking for a place to retire in a senior community in Florida, and we are looking to move somewhere South.

OP-what is your timeline or DHs timeline to move for a job? What places will be next on your list to check out? This is a really interesting post to follow, my mom is looking for a place to retire in a senior community in Florida, and we are looking to move somewhere South.

Well, our timeline is kind of up-in-the-air. We began this process with the thinking that we'd make the move before fall. My dd17 will graduate so it seems like a good time. However, we also have dd15, and she says she is ok with the move, but more and more, I'm wondering if it is just bad timing for her. She'll be a sophomore and while we do homeschool, we are also very active in quite a few activities and classes with other homeschool kids. I'm feeling guilty over uprooting her right now...she's my most 'fragile' child anyways...All these feelings have just come up so we are kind of sorting through it.

If my dh gets the remote job (and I think it's likely), he would like to accept. In that case, we may stay here for three more years to let her finish. Of course then I'm worried about my older dd and where she will be at with school but she is much more resilient so we could even leave her in CO to finish her degree.

And all that may go out the window and we do move sooner, in which case, I'm interested in revisiting Tampa. I'd like to see more of the south side. I liked the north but traffic was heavy. I'd also still live to explore more west of Orlando. We got over there a bit but not as much as I'd like. And then Pensacola is still on my interest list.

TX is still also on our list. FL wins for every other box we need to check except family. My entire family and dh's parents are in TX.

https://takingthefloridaplunge.wordpress.comI did one college program (spring 1997) and an advanced internship (spring 2000) at Disney. I did consider moving down after I got my M ED in Education because it is really hard getting teaching jobs in my area. I was really interested in teaching in Celebration so I got a tour of the school. Before I went down I found a book about living in Celebration and read it. At the time (90s) I wasn't very impressed with their school. At the time the school really didn't believe in using text books. Curriculum was sketchy. I'm not sure if they didn't even give grades. I have heard now the pendulum has swung the other way and the school improved. Celebration has their own school but is part of the Orange County School. I did come very close to moving down to the Orlando area. After 2 years of being an aide up here I decided I wanted my own classroom. I set up an interview (phone) with Orange County Schools and Arlington VA (I had never really been there). Orlando was supposed to be at 8 and Arlington 9. Well Orlando didn't call at 8 and after my interview with Arlington they offered me the job and I took it. Orlando called back after I accepted the other job saying they had gotten delayed and wanted to do the interview.

Since I did 2 programs I have many friends I kept in contact with in FL. I have known families that live in Oviedo and love it. I've heard great things about the community there.

Plant City was mentioned but my only memory of Plant City was that is the place where I got my first ticket driving a car back from Ft. Myers. I was driving the car back to Orlando (Vista Way) and was pulled over for not having lights on. I thought my park lights were my lights. Opps!!

I have also been to other areas of FL. My grandparents had a townhouse in Indian Harbor FL. My other grandparents and uncle had houses in Ft. Myers area. I also stayed with a friend in the Ft Lauderdale area. In the summer of 2015 my doctor moved her family to West Palm Beach area. We had a bad snow year and she wanted to get away from all the snow. I think she also wanted to be closer to her parent in laws.

There is a group called the FL Plunge that you may find useful. https://takingthefloridaplunge.wordpress.com I hope that is useful. I've considered moving again because I've had enough snow. The only issue is my family is here. I jokingly told my sister that we needed to have a family meeting and all of us decide to move south with our families. lol.

I soo want to move to Florida, just to be close to Disney. Even if only a short few years. But, I'm a registered nurse in PA and I need an engineering degree to figure out how to get my license in Florida. But hopefully in 2 years I'll get it worked out ..lmao .

And I really enjoy reading everyone's stories. :-)

But, I'm a registered nurse in PA and I need an engineering degree to figure out how to get my license in Florida. But hopefully in 2 years I'll get it worked out ..lmao .

Are they not a compact state? When I moved from SC to TN it was super easy to transfer my license because they were both compact and I even got to work before the process was complete.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter