Who Is Ready For Some College Football 2019?

I imagine Gus’s seat will be toasty after Tulane beats them 😀

Whoa brother, pump the brakes!

giphy.gif

The Tulane game is in September.

I have confidence in Gus.

He'll make it into October before he's toasty!

Not that anybody cares though.

Bama Ed

PS - then it will just be him and the Mrs. looking at each other.

744724.jpg

Last edited:
Who is Gus? I vaguely remember name...

In all fairness, he's probably the next head coach at Ole Miss.

Last edited:
I will take this opportunity to draw attention to what I believe is the best tradition going right now in college football. For that you have to look to the University of Iowa. Their tradition of the ENTIRE stadium turning and waving to the kids at the children's hospital at the end of the 1st quarter is one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time.

Hats off to them on this one.

YouTube this one

Good find, Michael.

Nah, who knows about Gus? The pundits seem to have a hard time knowing how that team will do this year - I've heard anything from 6/6 to 10/2. Guess that first game against Oregon will show us. That's why they play the games on the field and not on the message boards.

Good game to start the season Saturday night with the Canes and the Gators.

Bama Ed

I wish I could be excited but Patterson hasn't released the name of the starting quarterback. My husband and his business partner considered getting 4 season tickets for the company but ended up deciding not to.

Getting ready for another year Bama Ed? Getting excited here for the new season, players look so much better than they have for the last 10+ years. Going to be a busy weekend, starts with going to Volleyball tomorrow night, a 11am game on Saturday and then top it off with a 7pm Volleyball match again on Sat. Good luck everyone on the upcoming season!

Getting ready for another year Bama Ed? Getting excited here for the new season, players look so much better than they have for the last 10+ years. Going to be a busy weekend, starts with going to Volleyball tomorrow night, a 11am game on Saturday and then top it off with a 7pm Volleyball match again on Sat. Good luck everyone on the upcoming season!

rajak, yep I'm ready!

Bama is going into this first game with Duke with some injury problems. We had our two starting linebackers go down for the season (one a knee and one an ACL) meaning we will have two freshmen starting in their place (there are upperclassmen available but the two frosh are better-just green). So I expect teams to try to exploit that.

Also our 1st and 2nd team running backs are suspended for the first half of the Duke game (late to a team activity/movie) along with two other players. But for Duke I believe Saban will not cover the 33 point spread. He likes Coach David Cutcliffe and won't embarass him like that. The next game is New Mexico State at home here so we have some time to get them some experience.

I like having games Thurs-Mon nights on this opening weekend. Probably the best game is Oregon-Auburn. O's head coach in his 3rd year came from Bama as an asst coach for Saban 4 years. So he knows and understands SEC caliber football. Auburn has a strong D-line and Oregon has one of the best O-lines in the country so that's a match-up to watch. And Auburn is starting a true freshman at QB but he is the son of a former Auburn QB who is a high school football coach so the kid knows the game very well. And Gus Malzahn the Auburn HC is going back to calling the plays during the game (something he attempted to hand off supposedly the last few years but he meddled in the play calling). Gus is on the hot seat so I guess he feels if he's going to get fired this season he might as well do everything he can so no excuses later. The Oregon game is very key to his future. We shall see.

Are you a volleyball fan? Or is someone playing that you know?

Tulane opens with FIU tonight!!

Prior to next week’s epic upset of Auburn 😀

Tell you what, Pluto, I'll pull for Tulane next weekend just for you. :cheer2: Just cuz you're a Green Wave fan.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
@bama_ed are you coming to Atlanta?

Nope, Kris, gonna pass.

I went to a few Atlanta/neutral games in the past that started the season - mostly when my two sons were in the Million Dollar Band so I could see them out on the field. That was in the Georgia Dome and although I hear the new Benz stadium is nice, I am not going to take the entire day to go to Atlanta when it will be so pretty here and I have things I need to do around the house. Probably nice weather there in Hot-lanta too.

Plus I'm spoiled - now I live within brief walking distance of the home game stadium. But hey, if you and Bert want to jump on MARTA and ride down to 5 Points on Saturday afternoon and cheer for the Tide in my place, you have my blessing. Tix are cheap on Stubhub/SeatGeek.

Bama Ed

PS - although the GWCC station is closer, it's usually packed after a game (been there done that). Also used the Vine City Station once. Best was when I bought a parking pass, parked close in, then stayed to the end and got out before the surge started.

@bama_ed I don't blame you for not coming. Yes you are spoiled with your new location. I will say Mercedes Benz stadium is nice. We have tickets for the Atlanta United games (the other kind of football). We use the Vine City station coming home. Going to the game we go to Peachtree Center and then walk. It is a fun time in atlanta this weekend. We have dragon con, the football game, usually a baseball game. It is pretty insane. Unfortunately we have a lot of things to do this weekend, we normally try very hard to not use the car but we will.

Bama Ed. Volleyball fan, got tickets when the team moved from a smaller facility to a little bigger one. We have a average of 8000 fans to a Volleyball game. Amazes me what those women can make that Volleyball do. We sit on one end and watch the serve float from right to left and back again. We have a couple suspended for the opener, they didn't say for what just suspended indefinitely. Also not sure about 1 running back, has some legal issues going on in California. We have dodged injuries this year, that has a lot to be said for the weight program compared to what it has been the last few years. Hopefully we can get back to some old Nebraska football! Did you watch and UCF last night? Hopefully if we are up by 55 points, you take your best players out and don't risk injuries.

Bama Ed. Volleyball fan, got tickets when the team moved from a smaller facility to a little bigger one. We have a average of 8000 fans to a Volleyball game.

rajak, back when my two boys were in college and in Million Dollar Band, they both also played in some pep bands for other athletic events. They both did volleyball and men's basketball games (one son played baritone [sort of like a bigger trumpet] and the other played tuba). So as a band parent, I went to the volleyball games to watch THEM. At our volleyball games there weren't many fans at all in a small facility. So getting 8,000 fans to show up is quite an achievement here in the fall.

Did you watch and UCF last night? Hopefully if we are up by 55 points, you take your best players out and don't risk injuries.

No I couldn't watch any games on Thursday night but who was UCF playing, Florida A&M? The Rattlers? They are a smaller school and the best part of them is their marching band! But I am hopeful that Nebraska can improve their game and no longer be the butt of jokes. They're too great a program to stay that way for long.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Well first game in the books, liked some of what I saw, offense has a ways to go but looked a little better than last year at this time. Defense was miles ahead of where we were last year so there's still hope. Bama Ed, 8200 for the Volleyball match Friday night and 8100 for the match on Saturday. We do love our Volleyball here! Also love the pep bands, I played Trombone in high school, tech school I went to didn't have a band but that was cave man time, LOL. I think our offense will find it's stride pretty soon, I hope, Colorado this weekend, a team we love to beat, Colorado AD threatened to take away season tickets from holders that sold their tickets to Nebraska fans, LOL, we have more presence in the stadium than Colorado does,

We realized we can’t make the game next week while looking for camping spots in the area.

After watching much of last nights game, i still think we can pull off the upset.

I think our DLine can hold their own.

It will depend on whether the OLine can do enough to allow the offense to work, and if the QB can be accurate enough. His completion % was very good Thursday, but I expect the windows will be much smaller against Auburn.

We realized we can’t make the game next week while looking for camping spots in the area.

After watching much of last nights game, i still think we can pull off the upset.

I think our DLine can hold their own.

It will depend on whether the OLine can do enough to allow the offense to work, and if the QB can be accurate enough. His completion % was very good Thursday, but I expect the windows will be much smaller against Auburn.

Yeah, Pluto, I've been over there near the Plains and there's not a whole lot around. There is a nice small state park nearby on I85 but it has relatively few campsites (<50 iirc). Did you consider Wind Creek SP? It's about 45 minutes from Auburn and on the far side of town if you are coming from LA. But it is situated on a big lake and has nearly 600 campsites. Looks like they still have plenty of sites available even waterfront. It's a popular choice for campers and boaters.

This coming week, I'm going to be thoroughly entertained by the build-up to Saturday's LSU @ Texas game. Not only the two teams' fans going back and forth, but the Texas A&M Aggie fans on the sidelines gas-lighting both sides. I'll be in attendance at the Bama - New Mexico State game starting at 3pm so I should make it back to the house when the Tigers-Longhorns kick it at 630pm. Gonna make sure I got plenty of cold ones in the fridge for when I get back to watch THAT game on the telly. :happytv:

Bama Ed

PS - or better yet, it would be fun to watch it with our resident Aggie fan @grumpyaggie and listen to Arnold's commentary during the telecast. That would be a sure ratings winner.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!