Who might be planning to go “opening day?”

I've heard the local Disneyland vloggers (Adam the Woo & Freshbaked) talked of Orange ( sounds like a city vs county) and how no one there is wearing masks but where they live in or near Anaheim people were wearing masks when they went out. Sounds like it might depend on city.
There is a city of Orange (in Orange County, CA), not far from DLR! -- just adds to the confusion, doesn't it?

It was in the area near Corona Del Mar. Very surprising.... we never expected that kind of reaction.

Oh, south county, how I've missed you... okay not all of it. But I'm sort of surprised (but not?) at the reaction you got over masks. Funny thing, drive 10 minutes into Irvine, and I'll bet you masks are de rigueur over there.

There is a city of Orange (in Orange County, CA), not far from DLR! -- just adds to the confusion, doesn't it?

Some great restaurants in the Orange Circle! Great little side trip for those in the area of DL. More orange cities:

Orange, CA
Orange County, CA
Orange County, FL
Orange City, FL
Valencia, CA (a type of orange)
Lemon Grove, CA (a more sour orange, rofl)

Oh and fun fact about Disneyland (just to keep this on topic), Anaheim was named after the Santa Ana river, and heim means "home" in German (the city was originally founded by German settlers).

It was in the area near Corona Del Mar. Very surprising.... we never expected that kind of reaction.

Interesting. I am in Irvine (but go maybe 2 minutes from my home and am in Newport Beach) and everyone is always wearing their masks. Will be interesting to see if people will still be 100% wearing masks this weekend when I hit the grocery store. Our Ralphs has had people stationed at the door to ensure that masks are being worn when you enter the store. Tustin is the only other place I have been a number of times and everyone wears their masks there too. Oh and we will still be wearing ours when going out.

re: going to DL on opening day...

(I had posted about this on a thread that got merged then closed)

We're local and DH & I have the 3-day so Cal passes that we've used 1 day of so far (on Feb 5th to go on RotR). We're pretty set on trying to get a reservation for July 17th. DL's 65th birthday! We're also going to go to DTD on the 9th *if* World of Disney will be open that day. I even have a Disneybound planned, lol. We're pretty excited! We'll save the last visit on our pass for when things open up more (ie. fireworks). Eventually, we'll get APs again, but I'm guessing that will be in 2021. Or possibly Christmas time this year if there's a vaccine (or something like that) by then.

Because the international quarantine restrictions haven't been lifted, I won't be going to the re-opening. Getting a reservation on Opening Day will be a nightmare.

If they do the reservations like they did for Galaxy's Edge opening which was very smooth and straightforward, I don't think it will be a "nightmare". Well, maybe if they ran out before getting one. ;)

If they do the reservations like they did for Galaxy's Edge opening which was very smooth and straightforward, I don't think it will be a "nightmare". Well, maybe if they ran out before getting one. ;)
The SW:GE reservation period was one of the best managed Disney events I’ve ever been to. Well run. Easy. It really felt like they were putting in extra effort to make it a great experience. I also hope they put the same extra effort into the upcoming reservation period.

Last edited:

Still planning on going opening day if we can snag reservations on our flex passes. We are even going to use it as an opportunity to launch a YouTube channel.

Even if I could I wouldn't. How can you have an enjoyable day having to be constantly aware of all the vloggers, periscopers, tik tokers and so on wandering around talking into their devices and not being fully aware of their surroundings.
Nope, I'd give it time to settle down before I went.

Even if I could I wouldn't. How can you have an enjoyable day having to be constantly aware of all the vloggers, periscopers, tik tokers and so on wandering around talking into their devices and not being fully aware of their surroundings.
Nope, I'd give it time to settle down before I went.
Even the vloggers need to get their hands on a reservation. And as they are busy talking into their devices and pointing out all measures, you can ride the rides.
As long as they do not bother you, or walk into you, I am not more aware of them then I am of any other family.

How many people were let in per time on opening day for Galaxy's Edge? Smugglers Run has a capacity of 1800 guests per hour. So those alone will make up about 20.000 guests on one day? But there were more people let in for the restaurants and shops per group, I believe.

Don't get too attached to the thought of the pineapple lumpia. They changed it to a

Sweet Lumpia

Banana, Jackfruit, Caramel Drizzle

This kind of sounds like Turon, a Filipino banana lumpia which is delicious in its own right. Disney has to put their own twist on things and it's fun!

I took an informal poll on my Instagram yesterday “would you go to DL on reopening day?” and it was overwhelmingly no.

I was surprised because a good chunk of people who said no are people who are in their late-20s/30s, healthy, no elderly contacts in the home, and/or have no children. Many are Disney fanatics (one who plays Moana for bday parties and comes to the park biweekly).

I really wonder what the pulse is outside of these forums, you’ll have to admit, we aren’t representative of the general public here.

I took an informal poll on my Instagram yesterday “would you go to DL on reopening day?” and it was overwhelmingly no.

I was surprised because a good chunk of people who said no are people who are in their late-20s/30s, healthy, no elderly contacts in the home, and/or have no children. Many are Disney fanatics (one who plays Moana for bday parties and comes to the park biweekly).

I really wonder what the pulse is outside of these forums, you’ll have to admit, we aren’t representative of the general public here.
I think there are probably enough of us "crazy people" to fill that day up pretty fast though. I would not bring my children (especially with mask wearing) but I can't resist the draw of reopening after 4 months ON Disneyland's 65th birthday. So much historic interesting-ness. If I was paying for a day pass (and didn't have an AP) though I don't think I'd want to spend the money. There will be issues to iron out for sure! (And, of course, there's the whole covid thing. But I'm less worried about that, especially with all the measures they're taking, and without children [who are generally less sanitary than me] with me, and since I don't have anyone immunocompromised at home. You can bet I'll be working hard on my immune system before and after though, and avoiding sugar, for the most part. Except for, perhaps, a Monte Cristo if I can get in at Cafe Orleans!

I wonder this too. Look at how empty Universal Orlando has been so far. But Universal is much different than Disney... 🤩 Disney also has such a bad image of ‘crowds’ for people that aren’t as familiar with it. I almost feel safer at Disney after reading all about their precautions than going other places.

I just spent two hours in a botanic garden in the Orange County area. It was 86 degrees and wearing a mask (mandatory) made me feel sick. No way would I go to any theme park this summer if I had to wear a mask all day.

They sure have changed the Disney experience, haven't they?

I would've answered that poll no too, although not because of safety or health concerns. (Although admittedly, I have an AP but wouldn't call myself a Disney fanatic.) I hope to go sometime after opening (reservation depending), but not on re-opening day or anytime probably in those first few weeks. I'd rather wait and hear more about the new systems and how they're working so I can better familiarize myself on what to expect. I'd also rather wait and give them a week or two to make tweaks if necessary and hopefully start working out any kinks. But I can see where even low risk folks might be uncomfortable at the idea of going to a theme park in the near future. After so much being shut down, the prospect of going from minimal contact with the outside world to suddenly being in a large crowd of people (even limited) does feel confusing. I'm just getting used to seeing people dining in again! But if I can get a reservation, I'll be there sooner than later, just not during those first few weeks. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter