Who still brings a “camera” into the parks?

maui2k5

DIS Veteran
We (myself, wife, daughters 8 & 10) are heading down to WDW this Aug 1-10. I am debating if I buy a pocket sized camera or just use my iPhone XR. Thoughts? Recommendations? Due to bulky size, DSLR style cameras would not be an option...

I do. I don't like taking all my pics with a phone, I bring my Sony Rx100 in my purse. That baby gets a whole lotta use, too. I chose it for the large sensor - not bad for a point and shoot (better in low light). Got the info. on it from Tom Bricker, he's great for info. on taking pics in the parks (and anywhere, really). Good luck!

We used to only bring our cell phone but I was always disappointed with the photo and video quality after our trip. Not to mention how fast our battery got drained. This past trip, we brought in our bulky DSLR and our HD video camera. I do NOT regret it! It was so worth carrying the camera case around for the amazing shots and video we got.

I debated this myself last year but ultimately decided against it. I wouldn’t bother with anything less than a DSLR if I was set on bringing a separate camera. Your iPhone is newer than mine, and my 8 Plus takes better photos than all the point and shoots I’ve tried.

Battery usage is a non issue as long as you have a decent portable charger. I have an Anker model I got off Amazon for a song and that thing is a workhorse. It’s very slim and compact and charges quickly. I can get 2 full charges out of it if necessary but it never is because I’m usually back at the resort by the time I would need a 2nd.

I do. I don't like taking all my pics with a phone, I bring my Sony Rx100 in my purse. That baby gets a whole lotta use, too. I chose it for the large sensor - not bad for a point and shoot (better in low light). Got the info. on it from Tom Bricker, he's great for info. on taking pics in the parks (and anywhere, really). Good luck!

Which model RX100 do you have?

Still bring my DSLR, but usually only bring one lens, as it gets too heavy otherwise.

I got a Sony RX100 specifically to bring to the parks. In its little soft bag, it fits in my pocket as needed, though usually I just hang it from a belt loop with a carabiner. My phone is not an iPhone, so the difference in picture quality is very noticible (especially in the dark).

I wouldn't bring a DSLR to a normal park, but I did bring it to Discovery Cove and Sea World. It was absolutely worthwhile at DC to have the zoom lens for the dolphin swim. I'm sure my SW photos were much better than they would have been, and I don't regret bringing it there. However without a non-coaster-rider to hang on to it, I wouldn't have brought it there since I'd have to pay for a locker so much.

Last time I brought my camera I ended up using the iPhone. I had a 6 then. N ow I have the XR and it is great and takes great pics and I never run out of battery even tho I bring my fuelrod

Bringing my camera everywhere. Phone is fine for that instant picture to post on FB or other social media but for souvenirs, this is still the only decent way to go if you want prints of any kind. I use an Olympus OM-D m10. The body is fairly compact and when going to the parks I tend to rely on one of my most compact lens -so this it is pretty close to a pocket camera

No point in getting a point and shoot. Either use cell phone or dslr/mirrorless.

I personally always use my dslr.

On my last trip, I had my camera and my cellphone. I found that when you are handing off the camera to someone else to take your picture, it is better to give them your phone. Everyone seems to know how to take a pic with a phone, but not everyone is familiar with how your camera might work. Many times, I have handed off my camera, and got no picture at all. Been two years since a WDW trip, so next trip, I might just stick with the phone. It is true about battery drainage though.

When we went in October I had both....some days I did not take my camera and just used my cell phone. If I knew there were going to be alot of photos where I really wanted zoomed in photos I brought my camera (like animal kingdom for the safari) If I thought it might be a really ride heavy day sometimes I skipped bringing my camera.

Ditto with others who say go DSLR or just my iPhone. The only “small” camera I use anymore is a waterproof for water activities, when there’s no real alternative.

We took the camera on our first trip with my daughter. But since we pay for memory maker and our phones have pretty decent cameras we no longer do. I just don’t want to chance something happening to my good camera.

We stopped bringing a camera several years ago when our cell phone cameras started to have better specs than our point and shoot digital cameras. Plus, we like to go to the parks bagless so none of us really wants to carry the dslr around all day. My son will usually bring his dslr to the parks once or twice during the week but usually only for part of the day (we take a mid-afternoon break most days). Between Memory Maker and our phones, we get all the pictures we need. If it was going to be a once-in-a-lifetime trip we'd probably bring the good camera every day. But we go every year or two so our phones are enough.

I don't take that many photos in the parks anymore, unless it's something really special or new. No camera, just S8 and it keeps charged all day even though I use it all day for scheduling FP+ and other things. I do keep a small charger in my purse for the family to use if needed.

I will edit to add that if Disney were something we only did every few years, I would carry a DSLR. Wouldn't bother with anything less if I were going to carry a camera. I would just use a shoulder bag and put my purse items in that as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!