Whole Pork Loin

wdw_dine_junkie

DIS Veteran
I bought a whole loin of pork because it was a good price, 7.5 lbs! I am not really sure what to do with it. I'm imagining it's like the pork loin chops before they are sliced up. Should I cut holes and stuff garlic in it and roast it? What temp? Does it need to be tied with butchers twine?

I'm not really a bad cook, but just haven't dealt with a piece of meat this big. it looks like a 18-24 inch log o' meat!

Is this the long, skinny meat log? LOL We love those tenderloins! :teeth: My favorite way to make those is a recipe I got from Boma. It's outstanding! And that sauce really is great on both pork or fish!

CURED PORK LOIN
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge, Boma
Yield: 10 servings

6 2/3 lb Pork Loin **
1 lb Kosher Salt (This is a cup! I never use that much!! But then we don't use much salt.)
1 lb Sugar (This is 2 cups)
1 lb Brown Sugar (This is 2¼ cups)
2/3 c Minced Herb (Thyme or Rosemary), chopped fine
2/3 c Ginger
2/3 c Cinnamon
** The amounts of spices should be sufficient to coat your 7.5lb loin even though it says it's for a smaller one.

In a large pan, mix salt and brown sugar. Coat the pork in the salt/sugar mixture and let coat overnight. Take out the cured pork and rinse in cold water. Grill or rotisserie until medium rare. Serve with Coconut Curry Sauce.

COCONUT CURRY SAUCE (FOR FISH OR PORK)

1 c Coconut Milk
½ oz Curry Paste (see recipe below)
1 qt Soy Sauce
2 c Sugar
½ oz Lime Juice
½ oz Cilantro, chopped rough

Mix all the ingredients together except for the cilantro. Mix well and heat until reaches the proper temperature. Pour over the meat. Garnish with the cilantro.

CURRY PASTE

¼ c Olive Oil
¼ lb Red Pepper
¼ c Fresh Ginger Root
¼ c Garlic Cloves

- - - - - - - - - -
This one is extremely good too! In fact, I think I might even prefer it over the Boma recipe...although I'll never admit that! :teeth: Of course you'd have to multiply the amounts.

Now I'm hungry for pork! LOL

Honey Sesame Tenderloin
Yield: 4 servings
½ c soy sauce
1 Tbl finely chopped ginger root or 1 tsp ground ginger
1 Tbl sesame oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 lb pork tenderloin
1/4 c honey
2 Tbl packed brown sugar
¼ c sesame seed

Mix soy sauce, ginger root, sesame oil, and garlic. Place tenderloin in plastic bag; pour soy mixture over tenderloin. Refrigerate at least 8 hours, but no longer than 24 hours. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Remove tenderloin from marinade; pat dry. Mix honey and brown sugar in shallow dish. Roll tenderloin in honey mixture, coating thoroughly; roll in sesame seed. Place in shallow roasting pan. Roast uncovered 20 - 30 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 190 degrees. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.

those sound wonderful! I guess it's like a tenderloin, except huge! I did forget to say the pork should be kid friendly as well. I love curry, but I think I may save this recipe for DH and I using a tenderloin for another time, thanks!

This is the closest picture I could come up with, it's like this if you didn't cut the chops and had one long piece of uncut loin chops.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00032JMAO/nextag-gourmet-20/ref=nosim

We've learned to like curry since our stay at AKL, but I don't think this was really strong. I served it separately so people could add as much or as little as they choose.

The second recipe with the sesame seeds is DD's favorite! She often asks for it.

DMIL used to take several cans of Great Northern beans, drain them and mix with a bunch of ketchup & brown sugar. Then nestle a pork roast down in that, cover & bake. I do mine in the crock pot so I can't tell you how long. DH's whole family was always very picky (still is ;) ) and they all liked that. I've never seen a family where even the parents refuse to eat veggies or anything "odd". They won't even TRY lasagna!! :sad2:

Right after you get it out of the oven, cut off that long strip of fat on the top.

Bake it another 10-20 minutes, then chop it - it should be crackly, like the way the fat part of bacon gets crumbly/crackly. Store this in a container in the fridge, and use small amounts to flavor grits/cream of wheat. Delectable.

Delia Smith has a great recipe. You prepare it in advance and can leave it in the fridge til you want to cook it, and it takes about 40 mins. try deliaonline for the details

pork loin and pork tenderloin are 2 different things in my area...loin would be what a roast would be, maybe 4 inches high not the thin little more strip like pork tenderloin..

i buy the whole loins( 14 lbs or so usually) when they are on sale( usually in the $1.80 or less range) and cut them into 1" thick boneless chops( yummy cause they stay really juicy and are about 1/2 the price the butcher sells them for

i recently made a loin roast with the recipe for adobo pulled pork from crystal palace but just sliced it . i just cut up an onion and added it to the marinade instead of the onion powder. for a 7 lb roast you could probably cook it about the same length as called for here at 350...i made a 3+ lb roast and i think cooked it about 2 1/2-3 ( i figured they were figuring about an hr per lb here but the loin is leaner so you don't want it to get dried out). you do not have to tie it or anything but unless you are serving a bunch i might cut it in half and freeze 1/2 or make chops out of 1/2...i'd say a 3 lb boneless loin roast would serve 5-6 adults no problem

The Crystal Palace
Lake Buena Vista, Florida

Adobo Pulled Pork

Servings: 5

5 pounds Pork butts

Adobo Rub:
¼ cup orange juice, fresh squeezed
¼ cup limejuice, fresh squeezed
1 ¼ tablespoons, Dijon mustard
¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup onion powder
3 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 pinch ground cumin

Adobo Rub: Combine juices and mustard in a mixing bowl. Using a whisk, combine the olive oil in the juices to form an emulsion. Add the remaining ingredients. Marinate pork in Adobo Rub for 24 hours.

Cooking: Remove the pork from the marinade. Place the pork in an oven proof dish, cover and place in a preheated 300° oven and slow cook for 4 to 5 hours, or until pork is easily pulled apart. When the pork is ready, remove from oven allow to rest for 10 minutes, then drain excess liquid.

pork loin, bone in or boneless
it's also really good in a crock pot, cut up a few onions and put the slices in the bottom then pepper the roast and put it on top with maybe 1/2-3/4 a cup of water and just let it cook all day( like 8 hrs..) it is fall apart tender and we make the gravy with milk instead of water...yummmm

deb

the salt in the cured pork loin is what cures it..it shouldn't be salty as you rinse it off...we smoke our meats/poultry sometimes and usually you brine them in a salt water brine for 24 hrs then rinse them off..the salt here is for the curing, not for salty flavor.

jann1033 said:
pork loin and pork tenderloin are 2 different things in my area...loin would be what a roast would be, maybe 4 inches high not the thin little more strip like pork tenderloin..

<snip>

They're different here too, but I've noticed that at times people will use the term interchangeably. However, I find that most of my tenderloin recipes will work with a loin...I just start the rub or marinating process earlier so it has more time to penetrate deeper into the meat.

And thanks for posting the Crystal Palace recipe! That's one I haven't seen before! :teeth:

Oh - and on the subject of Disney & pork ;) have you tried the rib rub from Wilderness Lodge? We just had that again the other night...oh yum!! :bounce: :bounce:

i've been know to change things around myself a time or two..i thought the sesame one would be good with some chops i have in fact :rotfl:

my husband got pork adobo at the Mexican rest. yrs ago( when it was real Mexican food not chi chi's) and loved it but i could never get the recipe so i asked if anyone had it and one of the chefs from crystal palace was kind enough to send me that one..it's not quite the same but is really good...just don't let it marinate too long( not much longer than the 24 it calls for i mean) as it gets slimy i am guessing due to the lime juice

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter