Why? AKV done in 2 years?

Luv2trav

DIS Veteran
We just bought yesterday :banana: Our guide told us AKV will be completed in 2 years. She also said once it's finished it will be the size of SSR... If SSR has taken 4 years to build how can AKV be completed in 2 years?

It won't be as big as SSR
SSR 824 villa

well have to find that post that says how much AKV will have.

I think it is a little more than 100 villa in Lodge, and 300 more in Kidina

not sure!

ssr was build in pieces. Disney didn't expect SSR to sell so well. the originally plan was a little more than half what the resort became.

when you can do something all at once - it generally takes less time - than bits and pieces

also I though it was only 3 years for SSR.

Actually AKV will be broken up into 2 buildings.

The first building is Jambo House (the existing AKL) with DVC accomodations. The schedule for these accomodations was slated to be completed in May of 2008; however, they've accelerated the construction and now it will be done in January of 2008.

The second building is Kidani Village. This is a whole new building being constructed right next to the Lodge (Jambo House). This is scheduled to be completed in Spring or early 2009. A little less than 2 years from now; maybe in 20 months.

I don't think it will be the same size as SSR; however, I'm not sure of the number of rooms. Kidani Village will be one large building. SSR is several buildings, so the footprints will not be the same.

AKV will have 458 rooms, 134 in the Jambo (AKL) building and 324 in the new Kidani building, far less than SSR and less than OKW (and about 70 more than BWV). As noted, the Jambo construction is ahead of schedule and they intentionally accelerated that. However, there has been nothing yet to indicate they are accelerating the building of the Kidani, scheduled to open sometime in first part of 2009. SSR is numerous separate buildings in a very spread out area and you can schedule constructing each building in line with purchase demand and thus it can seemingly take a long time to complete (although you also need to recall some of that time for SSR was tearing down everything that was already built there). With AKV, with only one new building, you cannot choose just to build in numerous phases in-line with purchase demand.

From what I've read, Kidani is not simply one building, but a series of buildings linked together -- I read somewhere that it has been described as "like beads on a chain", or "pearls on a necklace" or something like that. If that is the case, then it seems to me that Kidani could, indeed, be opened in phases. Does anyone know any other details? :confused3

From what I've read, Kidani is not simply one building, but a series of buildings linked together -- I read somewhere that it has been described as "like beads on a chain", or "pearls on a necklace" or something like that. If that is the case, then it seems to me that Kidani could, indeed, be opened in phases. Does anyone know any other details? :confused3

According to the member website Kidani village will be opened in 2 phases.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter