Why Are You Doing This Disney World?

ckohl

Earning My Ears
Some of my favorite memories as a child are going to the theme parks in Orlando. I remember spending a number of spring breaks with family visiting Disney World, Universal, and Sea World. Due to my love of Orlando and the parks, I even did the Disney College Program. It taught me that I did not want to work on the front line at Disney forever, but it was great experience. My wife and I also honeymooned and spent our first anniversary at Disney World. The sad thing is that Disney World has changed a lot since I was a child. Even since my honeymoon five years ago, things are not the same to where I am certain we would have honeymooned somewhere else. Now that I have a family and want to share some of my love of theme parks and Orlando with my son, that is becoming a distant dream which only may be achieved once in my children's life.
I just looked it up and it costs $1,100 for my wife, my son (starting next year), and myself to visit Disney for 3 days. This does not include travel, hotel, parking and/or resort fees, and food. Add all of this together and we would be looking at about $1,000 a day to visit Disney World overall. The trip would cost probably a month's salary to attend a 4 night/3 day vacation. I know it is a magical place for families, but is it really worth it? Disney World has clearly priced out the average American family it seems. I want to share my love for Disney with my children, but my relationship with Disney has soured due to the current practices of the parks. Over the last decade, Disney World has increased costs, continues to add fine dining options, fancy dessert parties, and essentially any way to nickle and dime guests. Disney World appears to be catering to the couples without families who are obsessed with Disney these days.
That is the thing, as Disney World does all of this, the parks are more crowded than ever. Waits for rides are more than ever. It used to be that a couple popular rides would be an hour or two wait, but now more rides have long waits. Why spend $1,000 a day to wait in line and ride fewer rides than previously. It saddens me to say these things, but it is just getting too much. Disney's popularity continues to soar with more people wanting to visit regularly, purchase DVC rentals, come to the parks "Disney-bounded" in their favorite character apparel, and purchase anything Disney World they can get their hands on. I am not complaining about these people for their love since I am partially one of them. The feelings Disney World provides of escapism, joy, and family memories is extremely difficult to recreate. I will write more about how I had to cut down on my Disney addiction later, but for now I just wanted to express my current feelings.
The last thing that makes Disney World harder than ever to visit is all of the planning. Which other vacation do you have to decide where you will be eating dinner and make reservations 6 months in advance? Where else do you have to select which rides you would prefer to go on 2 months in advance? It has become an art in order to plan a Disney vacation. I remember when people asked where my wife and I would be honeymooning, they asked "why are you not going someplace relaxing?" It is true. In no way is a Disney World vacation relaxing anymore where you can just stroll the park and play it by ear as to what you will do. Waking up at 5:00am the day you can make your first dining reservations, it becomes an all out war to ensure that your family is able to do and eat what you hoped for.
Despite all of this, there is still a place in my heart for Disney World. Sadly that place is diminishing as Disney continues to make visiting the parks more expensive and complex. I understand everything with our world is going the same way, but I wish that Disney World would again think about serving families to allow them to visit the magic, instead of looking for another way to make a buck. Sadly, I am not sure once the train begins if it can be reversed. This is why I am looking for alternative options for my family to enjoy vacations and find some of those magical experiences at other theme parks. I will probably tackle the Disney World beast for my family once while they are young, but I do not think it will be a regular family vacation sadly.

I just looked it up and it costs $1,100 for my wife, my son (starting next year), and myself to visit Disney for 3 days. This does not include travel, hotel, parking and/or resort fees, and food. Add all of this together and we would be looking at about $1,000 a day to visit Disney World overall. The trip would cost probably a month's salary to attend a 4 night/3 day vacation. I know it is a magical place for families, but is it really worth it? Disney World has clearly priced out the average American family it seems. I want to share my love for Disney with my children, but my relationship with Disney has soured due to the current practices of the parks. Over the last decade, Disney World has increased costs, continues to add fine dining options, fancy dessert parties, and essentially any way to nickle and dime guests. Disney World appears to be catering to the couples without families who are obsessed with Disney these days.
So what does the 1.1K per day pay for?

Some of my favorite memories as a child are going to the theme parks in Orlando. I remember spending a number of spring breaks with family visiting Disney World, Universal, and Sea World. Due to my love of Orlando and the parks, I even did the Disney College Program. It taught me that I did not want to work on the front line at Disney forever, but it was great experience. My wife and I also honeymooned and spent our first anniversary at Disney World. The sad thing is that Disney World has changed a lot since I was a child. Even since my honeymoon five years ago, things are not the same to where I am certain we would have honeymooned somewhere else. Now that I have a family and want to share some of my love of theme parks and Orlando with my son, that is becoming a distant dream which only may be achieved once in my children's life.
That is the thing, as Disney World does all of this, the parks are more crowded than ever. Waits for rides are more than ever. It used to be that a couple popular rides would be an hour or two wait, but now more rides have long waits. Why spend $1,000 a day to wait in line and ride fewer rides than previously. It saddens me to say these things, but it is just getting too much. Disney's popularity continues to soar with more people wanting to visit regularly, purchase DVC rentals, come to the parks "Disney-bounded" in their favorite character apparel, and purchase anything Disney World they can get their hands on. I am not complaining about these people for their love since I am partially one of them. The feelings Disney World provides of escapism, joy, and family memories is extremely difficult to recreate. I will write more about how I had to cut down on my Disney addiction later, but for now I just wanted to express my current feelings.
The last thing that makes Disney World harder than ever to visit is all of the planning. Which other vacation do you have to decide where you will be eating dinner and make reservations 6 months in advance? Where else do you have to select which rides you would prefer to go on 2 months in advance? It has become an art in order to plan a Disney vacation. I remember when people asked where my wife and I would be honeymooning, they asked "why are you not going someplace relaxing?" It is true. In no way is a Disney World vacation relaxing anymore where you can just stroll the park and play it by ear as to what you will do. Waking up at 5:00am the day you can make your first dining reservations, it becomes an all out war to ensure that your family is able to do and eat what you hoped for.
Despite all of this, there is still a place in my heart for Disney World. Sadly that place is diminishing as Disney continues to make visiting the parks more expensive and complex. I understand everything with our world is going the same way, but I wish that Disney World would again think about serving families to allow them to visit the magic, instead of looking for another way to make a buck. Sadly, I am not sure once the train begins if it can be reversed. This is why I am looking for alternative options for my family to enjoy vacations and find some of those magical experiences at other theme parks. I will probably tackle the Disney World beast for my family once while they are young, but I do not think it will be a regular family vacation sadly.

Ooof, that is a big wall of text to read.

Question: Why Are You Doing This Disney World?

Simple answer: because they can and it makes the company money.

The per day cost is high because you're only visiting 3 days. And really, for short stays like that, Disneyland is the better place to go not counting travel expenses.

I got a bit bored and decided to tally up what a "bare bones" DLR trip would look like from the east coast for a long weekend.

Test case: August 7-10, 2020 (3 nights) for 3 adults
JFK - LAX R/T airfare = $891 ($297pp), American Airlines
Rental car = $278, Alamo (via Costco)
Hotel = $623, Tropicana Inn and Suites (Harbor Blvd across from esplanade)
Park tickets = $1185, 4-day park hopper

Total fixed costs = $2977 (not incl. gas, parking, meals, and incidentals)

Of which, 40% is the cost of attendance. If you sub out Disney altogether, and do 2 days at Universal Studios ($169pp), 1 day at Knott's Berry Farm ($55/pp), and 1 day doing the Warner Brothers Studio Tour ($79/pp). = $909 for 3 adults.

So technically, really, the "Disney premium" here is +$276, or $92/pp.

I get that I will spend a riverboat full money at Disneyland, way more than any of those other locations, but that's controllable. You can still pack a lunch going to DL (I have embarrassing parent stories about that).

IMO, +$92/pp is worth the Disney premium over comparable attractions.

If it's not worth it FOR YOU, then it's not worth it.

That said, there are lots of ways to spend less at Disney:

- stay longer to bring down your cost per day for tickets
- stay off site
- stay at a value resort
- don't eat alot of sit down meals
- eat some meals off site
- bring snacks and breakfast foods for your room
- stay a week on or off-site but only go to the parks every other day

Personally, we prefer to take a day or two for Disney tacked on to a more relaxing beach vacation. Our cost per day for tickets is higher but we feel that is the best kind of trip.

Don’t forget the half day tickets. Half the day at the park, half at the pool... Money in the pocket for dinner.

we used to take our family of 4 to WDW for 7 days and paid right at $2k for food, resort and park tickets. That was 20 years ago. That same trip today would be triple the price. I don't know how young couples swing it.

I feel so blessed to have experienced WDW during their glory years. As much as I still love it, it is a shadow of its former self.

I have been to Disney World probably 30 times since our first trip in 1999. Not bad, coming from the northeast! I, too, and having a hard time finding the value in a Disney trip any longer. I understand that they are a business and have to make money, but how is it that they stayed in business for so long, turning a profit but providing a MAGNIFICENT experience- until about 8 years ago? I, too, long for the "Glory Days" of WDW. Tickets were good forever, until the number of days purchased were used up. A 10 day ticket could cover 2 trips! Once you got into the park, you could basically do everything. No uncharged dessert parties, no uncharged princess makeovers, etc. The parks were full of magical entertainment: Bands played in the streets, there were afternoon and evening parades, evening fireworks, LONG park hours (and ample "extra magic" hours for resort guests), there was themed street entertainment (living statues, street actors, marching bands, flag raising, "Sons and Daughters of Liberty," etc.)... on and on and on. Once you were in the door, this was all available to you. In the restaurants, the menus and napkins were themed to each restaurant, there was mickey-shaped butter pats, mickey waffles, etc. FastPass didn't require knowing where you were going to be 6 months in advance, or face multiple-hour waiting lines. About the only "hard to get" restaurant reservation was for breakfast in Cinderella's Castle. There was pre-show entertainment before most of the stage shows- jugglers, magicians, 4-for-a-Dollar, etc. Basically, if you could get in the gates, everyone was on an equal playing field, and that field was WORTH the COST. Now... Disney is nickel-and-diming us all, everywhere you look. I agree with the PP who said Disney is now a shadow of its former self; if you started going to Disney 20-30 years ago, you'd see it, too.

Remember, Disney was around long before Disney World. I grew up loving Disney. I did not make it to Disneyland until I was 24 years old. I didn't make it to Disney World until I was 35. I watched the Wonderful World of Disney and went to as many Disney movies as we could afford. It was fine. You can instill your love of Disney in your son without a visit to Disney World.

I still love it, even though in a few years even saving for two years like I do won't be enough for an every-other-year trip. I do feel that people like me...lower income...are being priced out, but I don't think it's a deliberate marketing strategy of WDW's or anything. I just think that they're charging what the market will bear. Unfortunately, that leaves me to go only every five years or so in the future. But like I said at the top of my post, I still love it there and I always will. Personally.

It’s not worth it to you, but that’s fine because there’s no legal obligation to visit WDW. A week long trip to Hawaii at a nice resort with food and drinks is $1,000 a day for my husband and I. A safari in Africa is $1,000 a day for just myself. Great seats at an exclusive concert or sporting event are $1,000 a piece. Everyone has things in their life they are willing to save for.

Obviously many of us here love Disney and therefore like to go there. If you go into the trip counting each penny and feeling as if you’re being ripped off, I’m guessing you won’t enjoy it much. I’d recommend saving enough so that you’re able to enjoy the park and just accept the costs for what they are if you do decide to proceed with the trip.

I got a bit bored and decided to tally up what a "bare bones" DLR trip would look like from the east coast for a long weekend.

Test case: August 7-10, 2020 (3 nights) for 3 adults
JFK - LAX R/T airfare = $891 ($297pp), American Airlines
Rental car = $278, Alamo (via Costco)
Hotel = $623, Tropicana Inn and Suites (Harbor Blvd across from esplanade)
Park tickets = $1185, 4-day park hopper

Total fixed costs = $2977 (not incl. gas, parking, meals, and incidentals)

Of which, 40% is the cost of attendance. If you sub out Disney altogether, and do 2 days at Universal Studios ($169pp), 1 day at Knott's Berry Farm ($55/pp), and 1 day doing the Warner Brothers Studio Tour ($79/pp). = $909 for 3 adults.

So technically, really, the "Disney premium" here is +$276, or $92/pp.

I get that I will spend a riverboat full money at Disneyland, way more than any of those other locations, but that's controllable. You can still pack a lunch going to DL (I have embarrassing parent stories about that).

IMO, +$92/pp is worth the Disney premium over comparable attractions.

You are comparing 4 days of alternative attraction to his 3 days of WDW.

In any case, the reason Disney can charge what they do is because people are continually willing to pay for the increasing costs.
So, the OP’s question should partly be directed at fellow Disney park goers: Why do you continue to pay the increasing prices?

For my family, the reason we continue to go (for now) is because I believe true premium so far is worth the difference compared to other theme parks such as Sea World, Universal, Six Flags. A lot of these places have high school kids and young adult workers who couldn’t care less to be there.

You are comparing 4 days of alternative attraction to his 3 days of WDW.

I was comparing 4 days at Disneyland vs 4 days at alternative entertainment sites, the Disney premium isn’t much higher (IMO) than the alternative entertainment.

The 4 days (really 3.5 logistically) was comparable to the OP’s 3 day WDW jaunt, surprisingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter