• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why can't they?

lucysdad

<font color=teal>You've touched my heart<br><font
We bought tickets from United two months ago, a nonrefundable ticket (I think that's what they called it). Now we need to add an extra week to accommodate my elderly mother (85 years). Now I know what nonrefundable means. It means United will try to soak you big bucks if life does what it does and changes your best made plans. I don't mind paying for their service. I know they will have to click the computer a few times to move my reservation up a week. But really, do they think they are emtitled to my child's college fund to do so? Golly, this leaves me with a tremendously bad taste in my mouth every time I say United! What's my recourse? Any tips?

That's the downfall of purchasing the discount fares - if you need to change your plans, you are scrooged no matter how legit the reason.

However, I thought the airlines were waiving penalties for changing flights because of the war. You might want to look in to that.

If you want flexibility, you can purchase a refundable ticket. With a refundable ticket, you can make all the changes you want for no charge. Of course, it costs alot more. If you want a cheaper ticket, then you can buy a nonrefundable and take your chances.

When is your trip? Most airlines are allowing changes in the next 90 days without penalty because of the war.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,1360,50313,00.html

It's not just United, most if not all the carriers charge you a fee to change a flight if you are buying their cheapest tickets. Many airlines are not making much if any profit on the seats that they they are selling at the lowest prices. (SWA excluded, Gail ;) ) Since they aren't making profits on the tickets, they have decided to penalize you when you make changes, take too much or too heavy luggage, etc.. The airlines used to offset selling these 'cheap' seats with the prices that they charged the business travellers who have less flexible schedules, don't stay over Saturday's etc.. Now the business people are flying less so the airlines are trying to make it up in other places. As hard as it is to accept, if you buy the lower cost seats and need to change you have to pay for it.

As another poster mentioned, United has just announced, due to the war, that if you are scheduled to fly before 5/31/03 (I think) they will change your flights with no penalty, you would just need to pay the difference in fare. You may want to just call them and ask, it can't hurt.

Here is the blurb from United. Good luck, but, I think you are going to have to pay the change fee.

Revised travel policies and qualifying dates:

Customers with tickets issued on or before March 31, with travel dates on or before May 18, 2003, may postpone their travel to be completed by December 31, 2003 without penalty.
For customers who choose to postpone travel and reschedule for a future flight, the full value of the unused ticket will be applied toward the purchase of the new ticket with no re-ticketing fee. If the new fare is lower than the original fare and the original ticket was non-refundable, United will issue the customer a travel voucher for the difference. If the fare is higher, the customer will be required to pay the difference in fares.
To be eligible for this offer, originating travel must fall within the qualifying travel dates and to postpone travel, customers will need to contact United or their travel professional prior to their originally scheduled departure or April 19, 2003, whichever comes first. One change per ticket will be allowed under this waiver.
Conditions for the postponed/rebooked itinerary are mandated by the rules of the new fare.
For customers enroute, United will waive the change/cancellation fee one-time to allow flexibility for customers who want to change their travel plans. The rebooked travel must occur by May 18, 2003.
For more information on United’s change policy, customers are invited to visit the carrier’s website, www.united.com or to call United Reservations at 1-800-UNITED-1. To rebook travel, customers should contact United Reservations or their travel professional

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter