Why didn't I think of this earlier? A Whirlwind Solo Trip w/o the kids - January 2024 (Updated 1/5)

Ann-CA

Mouseketeer
"Congratulations! You've birthed a solo trip!"

Ok! Time for a Pre-Trip Report!

I'll introduce myself more below. I'm somewhat new here, but I've been a long-time reader on this forum! This particular profile shows a start date of 1999. I almost decided to use another profile since I don't love the user name on this, but I love the fact that I've had an account since the 90s! And I'm pretty sure I've been on DisBoards since at least 1996, since that was when I first helped plan my very first Walt Disney World trip for my family when I was in high school. But that historical data is lost. And even though I've had an account since 1999, I've only posts 3 times (including a review of CA Adventure when it first opened - reminding me that I rode the worst ride in the history of Disney Parks at least twice - Superstar Limo- and apparently I enjoyed it).

(A LOT) About Me:
D0577ECA-B7C3-40EE-893A-0F889E145090.jpeg
Hi, I'm Ann. I just turned 42 years old this week. I got married later and had kids later in life - my DH and I just celebrated 7 years last month. We have two kiddos J (3.5 years old) and A (20 months) - so you can imagine my life is pretty full with two toddlers. On top of that, I work full-time in a fairly demanding job as a pastor at a church in the LA area. My days involve caring for and carrying a lot of people with my family and the church I'm a part of. I'm so grateful for all of them and so privileged to live the life I do, but it is really non-stop. I'm also grateful for being an older mom in the sense that I carry a lot more life experience and things don't really shake me as much --- but dang, I look at my peers who have kids my age, and all tend to be 10 years younger than me, and they see tired! I'm pretty good at pushing through things (which you'll see when you start seeing how I'm planning this trip), but thinking about all I'm carrying - wow, how am I doing this in my 40s, and how much easier would it be 10 years younger?

I've been to Disney World 2 times in my life. The first time when I was 16 years old with my family, as mentioned above. Back then, we stayed at All Star Music. I don't remember that much about the trip except I enjoyed it, but I remember a few key things. 1) We ate at Garden Grill - I probably learned about it from this board - and my family loved it. I also learned I love the ride LWTL. 2) We went to Animal Kingdom and I thought it was the best thing ever. FOTLK was so amazing and I've wanted to see it again since. 3) We went to Blizzard Beach, and I got a major sunburn. My complexion is fairly dark, and I rarely burn. But I burned that day. The reason it was such a big deal was because the week I returned, we took our senior portraits, and you can see major tan lines on my photo. The second time was 9 years ago. A friend of mine invited me on a teacher trip with her (I used to be a teacher also) that she had earned for taking kids on trips. It was a quick trip, maybe 2 nights maximum. We stayed at Grand Floridian. I don't fully remember which parks we went to. Because it was an educator trip, it was almost more like a conference. I remember getting taken by bus into the backstages of Epcot and having a banquet in the pavilion behind America. I also remember spending time exploring the monorail resorts - as I definitely remember eating a meal at Polynesian. Hot take: our trip was free, so it was great to stay at GF, but honestly, it was fine. I can't imagine spending that much money on that place.

So though my Disney World exposure is limited, I am a West Coast girl, and have spent a lot of time at Disneyland. I had annual passes in college for two years, right as CA Adventure was opening (and back when I think the annual pass was $100). I got Disneyland passes again around 8 years ago right as I was dating my husband - in fact, I remember going when we were dating, and I bought us Mickey and Minnie Tsum Tsums. We ended up having Mickey and Minnie Tsum Tsums on our wedding cake. I know the CA parks pretty well, at least from 8 years ago. But as you all know, ticket prices have increased a lot, and my husband finds theme parks just okay - so it didn't seem worth it to get a pass. I took a break from the parks these past few years.

My brother is a HUGE Disney fan, much bigger than me. I know the theme parks, but he's a true Disney fan - he has Oswald tattooed on his leg. We both had kids around the same time, so of course, as we had kids, we had to start to get to know the parks again, and we took our two sons when they were about 1.5 years old - the year after the parks opened up again. It was so fun to take kids - totally new experience!

Then, my best friend moved back to CA (they're in the military). She also has a son around my son's age. Since she had access to great discounts, we all got a 4 day military pass last year. So we went a lot! My daughter went for the first time when she was 2.5 months old. My son loves Carsland, and both my kids love IASW.

IMG_8290.jpeg

My son turned 3 this past March, and then it seemed we wouldn't visit Disney again, since I didn't want to pay for his ticket also. One of the young women at our church that I've been close to got transferred as a independent contractor to employee at Disney. Since she has free access and LOVES my kids, she invited us out to go again, and we got to experience Runaway Railway together. So grateful we get to still go when she invites us.

Disney World Foundations:

When I was pregnant with J, one of the things I had hoped to do with my best friend was take our kids to Disney World when he was around 9 months in Dec 2020! She was stationed on the East Coast, and we thought it'd be a fun thing to do. So I started planning a baby-centric trip. We had booked our reservations at Pop Century already. And I entered into research mode - and found myself exploring a whole new world of Disney planning via youtubers. I started watching the Trackers and All Ears (as well as Disneyland youtubers like Ordinary Adventures), and found myself re-entering the world of learning the new Walt Disney World.

Well, as the whole world knows - COVID happened. My son was born and the world shut down. Even though Disney World had reopened and by the time we were going to do the trip (and my best friend still did it), having high-risk factors, we chose not to do unnecessary travel and cancelled that trip. And we didn't reschedule it because my best friend wasn't going to be on East Coast anymore, so it didn't make sense to go.

My hobby continued to be learning about Walt Disney World. I've traveled a LOT of the world - I've lived in Malawi for a year, gone to dozens of countries. I do enjoy travel, but somehow, Disney World and cruises feel most relaxing for me to research about. In the little free time I had, I continued to follow youtubers (eventually expanding to Paging Mr Morrow and Mammoth Club as they became bigger) and occasionally reading Trip Reports here. I did it with no trip planned and no intention to go. Along the way, I gave birth to my second kid, and life became even crazier.

The Birth of this Trip:

As mentioned, my life is full. Work has been particularly demanding as we navigate a number of big transitions these past 2 months. My younger is now full-fledged toddler and gets into everything!

A few weeks ago, my husband and I were thinking about whether there was anywhere we wanted to go before my daughter turned 2, since she still flew free. We briefly talked about Orlando, and I quickly nixed it, thinking how exhausting it'd be to take kids to Disney World right now, especially when they wouldn't remember much.

I don't know where it came from - I have never had this thought ever in my mind - but I suddenly thought about how if I were to do Disney World, I wouldn't want to do it with my kids. I wanted to do it as an adult. I wanted to ride all the rides, and do what I wanted. I wanted to utilize all this information I've collected in my brain these past 3 years, and see what I could explore.

Then, I realized I have a ton of credit card points that could be transferred to miles. And I began searching and realized I could do it without using too many miles, if I chose an off season. I could do an off season with my work - in fact, off season was better!

I thought about whether I wanted to go with somebody - but then I thought about the pace I wanted to go at (fast), and also just the non-stop nature of my life with people, and then realized a solo trip would be amazing! It'd be good for my soul.

My heart began to get excited. My birthday was the following week - I threw out out to my DH about what he thought just as a teaser, and at first, he was like, "if you really want to," but then a few hours later, he told me, "You should go. This could be your birthday present."

That solidified it, and this trip was born!

Stay tuned for trip details.

(Thanks for reading, if you got this far. I think part of the fun of this trip is having something to plan. I figured I'll post on this board, and hope some people follow along. It's fun for me to have an outlet, so when I have free time, I hope to be able to share through PTR as well as a Trip Report!)

Last edited:
This trip is just under 4 weeks away!

Since then, a lot of things have shaped up, and thought I'd share some of my plans.

Flights: When I first made plans to take this trip, I thought I'd try to use my credit card points, ideally using my Capital One VentureX card points, which we had a ton of. But I wanted to get the best bang for my buck. It looked like transferring miles to Turkish Air would give me the best shot at using minimal points. Unforunately, it looked super complicated, including needing to call random call centers around the world, and then perhaps e-mailing, hoping somebody might e-mail you back. My other hope was to use Chase points, which I had enough of, but I had downgraded my cards, and couldn't do a transfer. I was a little bummed my points plan wouldn't work. And I didn't have enough United miles to do the whole trip.

In the middle of the night, I awoke with an idea! I logged into my Delta account. Then, I logged into my United, and I realized, while I didn't have enough to do a R/T for either, I had enough miles in each to do one-way. These are miles I've earned over the years, and didn't even realize I actually had enough to fly. My delta miles I earned because I had a ridiculously long flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg (15 hours) where my screen audio wasn't working. United I'm sure I've collected from my travels over the years for work. Score!

Itinerary - January 22-23rd, 2024 - TRAVEL RED EYE to MCO

Screen Shot 2023-12-28 at 9.09.56 PM.png

First Leg: Red Eye from LA to Orlando. We're maybe 50-60 min from the airport (30 no traffic, 75 on a bad day, so I'm thinking something in between. I already pre-paid using Black Friday sale to park at the new long-term lot at LAX. We've used it 2-3 times already, and I've been really pleased! Got it for $65 for parking through Friday evening (I return Thursday evening, but I've learned it's useful to book the whole 24 hours. We once had a situation where our flight got diverted to Ontario, and I needed to get my car the next day, and it was $$$). Because of the late flights, there's no way my husband can come out to get me with the kids sleeping. I could take the flyaway, but I'd still need to Uber/Lyft part of it and while I'm pretty comfortable with public transit, night time at Union Station can still be a little sketch as a woman (looking like a tourist no less). This is the best deal and gives me the most flexibility for my li

My husband encouraged me to take Monday off also, which I did. So my hope is to get some extra rest in the day, and then try to sleep as much of this short flight as I can. I had already bought this kickstarter campaign airplane sleeper that I haven't had an excuse to use, so I'll try this. It looks absolutely ridiculous, but if it works, it works!

Screen Shot 2023-12-28 at 9.21.43 PM.png

I land at 6:30 ET, which will be 3:30am PT. That's early and not much sleep, but I've learned to function on not much sleep with two toddlers, so I'm hoping my body will make it. I'm only going to bring a carry-on and a personal item, so hopefully I can get off the plane quickly.

Hoping the flight lands on time, so that I can get on MDE at 6:58 to get ready to get GotG virtual queue, and then hopefully book LL for Remy's or Frozen. As you can see, plan is to book it to Epcot and spend the day there.

Yes, red-eye to full day at park is probably not the most ideal, but when I want to minimize time away from the kids, you gotta do what you gotta do!

January 23rd - EPCOT DAY

After landing, I'm planning on taking Mears Connect to my hotel. While I'd love to get there faster by taking an Uber or Lyft, I'm not sure I want to spend $30 extra on this end of the trip. While I could try to get to Epcot for Early Entry, I'm planning to get Genie+ for this day, which hopefully mitigates the need to rope drop EE.

I'm hoping to get to All Star Sports by hopefully 8 or 8:30 at the latest to drop off my bags, and then get on a bus to Epcot.

Quick aside about hotels - I played around with my hotel booking quite a bit. I started with just a standard room at All Star Movies for $117 a night. Then, I ended up thinking of doing a split stay (crazy, I know) and doing one night at All Stars, and then one night at Pop Century so I could do a skyliner resort crawl. But then got feedback that other resorts might be more exciting to visit, so I scrapped that plan. Then, early booking 2024 discounts came out, and I was able to get a room at All Star Music for $99. Then read that the layout is not that great for standard rooms, so I switched over to All Star Sports! (I technically still have my ASM reservation - but will cancel that in the New Year).

Hopefully that gets me to Epcot around 9-ish. I have a ton of planning for all the logistics, but once I get to the parks, I think I'm going to take it easy and just go with the flow. I'd love to make sure to get on Remy's and Frozen. Other rides I'd like to do for sure are LwtL, Test Track (Single Rider). The rest of the rides would be bonuses for me. I'd love to see Moana Journey of Water. I'm thinking I'll start in WS (saw a tip on AllEars to start the day taking the ferry to Morocco and going towards America direction). Meals will be flexible - waiting for FotA menus to come out. Probably do early afternoon towards front of park. If I'm making good progress, I'll probably head back once I can get into the room to take a nap, and then head back to finish out WS, and then watch Luminous.

And that would sum up Day 1 --- more to come for Day 2 - that day is probably as crazy as the first.

Last edited:
January 24, 2024
Day 2 Part 1 Plans: Animal Kingdom

The plan is to get to AK for Early Entry. Not getting Genie+ for this day, but do plan to get an ILL for Flight of Passage.

As mentioned in my first post, I went when I was 16. My favorite park that year was Animal Kingdom, and Festival of the Lion King still stands out in my mind as one of the coolest shows every. AK opening date was April 22, 1998. We must've gone in the first 3-4 months of opening.

Originally, I planned to do this my first day and have an earlier end to day and then go visit AKL and go to Boma, but something came up that made me switch this to my second day, which I'll mention later.

I'm thinking of heading to Navi River Journey during Rope Drop, and then head to Kilimanjaro Safaris afterwards. Beyond that, while I'd like to get on all the rides, the only main show I'd like to see is FotLK. Rest of the day, explore the trails, maybe head out to Rafiki's Planet Watch.

Originally, I had intended for this trip to be a little more food-centric, realized I had to be much more mindful of what I eat. I would love to stop by S'atuli Canteen or Nomad Lounge in the day sometime.

We'll see what time I feel like I finished Animal Kingdom. I don't mind staying until closing (6pm), but if I feel done earlier, I will not mind heading back to the hotel to get some rest before the next adventure...

Last edited:
I left off thinking I might get some rest after my day at AK.

My original plans were that I'd do AK the day I land, and then head to Epcot day two. When I first started planning this trip, the two parks I wanted to do were Animal Kingdom and Epcot. Having gone to Disneyland a lot and having limited time and budget, I decided I wanted to focus on things that weren't similar to what we have out here. I know there are some differences in some of the rides, but for the most part, that took out Magic Kingdom (while I would've liked to try Tron and Seven Dwarves Mine Train) and Hollywood Studios.

I decided with my extra time, I'd rather explore resorts, and had originally planned on checking out AKL after my AK day, thinking I'd go eat Boma, after a friend had highly recommended it after her recent trip.

Two things happened that made me adjust my plans:
  • One: I've found out my blood sugar control (I'm type 2 diabetic) hasn't been as great since I switched medications now that I'm done having kids, so I've been being much more careful with my diet.
  • Two: After Hours Events got announced for early 2024.
So I had seen those events on Youtubers I follow, and always thought they looked interesting. But I didn't actually think that maybe I'd have a chance to attend one. When they were announced, I found out that there would be an AH event at HS on Wednesday. That made me start thinking --- would I want to go? On one hand, it's pricey, and would be adding a whole extra day cost to go to Hollywood Studios, most of the rides that I have been on. I'd need to switch up my plans, and let go of visiting at least on of the resorts I wanted to see. Initially, I decided I wouldn't do it. I'd just keep my original plans of going to AK day 1, and Epcot day 2.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized I wanted to experience an empty park with walk-on rides. The experience of actually being at an AH event sounded exciting, even if the rides wouldn't necessarily be new. So I had gotten some discount gifts cards and booked the AH event.

Day 2 Part 2 Plans: After Hours at Hollywood Studios

So if I end up finishing AK early, I'll head back to the room to rest, and then head to HS at 7 when I'm allowed in. That's most ideal. I don't think I want to do Rope Drop to closing and then do another full park that evening, especially when I might still be sleep deprived and jet lagged.

I did book my one and only ADR I might actually use. Screen Shot 2023-12-29 at 7.19.18 PM.png

I love Cobb Salads. Everytime I see this one, it makes me want to try it. So I booked it. We'll see day of if I actually want to go, but at least this gives me the option. I know I could walk-up to lounge, but figured I'd rather not stress to wait.

After Hours officially starts at 9:30.

My goal is to definitely hit the rides I haven't done, which at this point will only be one: Slinky Dog Dash. I just read this week that Rock N Roller Coaster will be down for a lengthy refurbishment (again). Bummer. Had I known, perhaps that would've swayed me on the other side of the fence in buying the ticket, but since it's no refunds, I'll make the best of it. The other ride I definitely want to get on is Tower of Terror. I've been on it plenty of times at DL, but the ride mechanism is quite different so I'm looking forward to trying the DW version.

I really want to maximize my night and see how much I can do. Beyond what I already mentioned, I'd hit most of the other rides. Not interested in Star Wars. Maybe would be up for doing Millenium Falcon if I run out of other stuff to do. Would like to do ROTR some point (probably last - it's not a must must do for me). I am looking forward to re-ride Runaway Railway since the first time, I didn't catch it all in for a number of reasons (primarily, I had my kids). I'd love to do Toy Story Mania multiple times and see if I can figure out how to score higher than my dismal low scores I usually get since I play once in a blue moon.

I'm wondering if they'll let me hop into Oga's Cantina just to walk in and take a quick look. I can't drink or eat anything on the menu (too much sugar).

In any case, it'll be like two days of parks squeezed into one!

The event ends 12:30 - we'll see if I make it that long. But the next and final day won't require me getting up early (at least I don't think).

Sounds like you’re going to have a lot of fun! Also sounds like you’ll be very busy lol. Looking forward to reading about how it goes. I’m not a big star wars fan either but RotR is a really cool experience, especially with the low waits but it’s a shame that with your blood sugar you can’t take advantage of all the free snacks at the after hours event. And Navi river is a great ride to rope drop at AK, it’s kind of slow loading and the boats are small so that adds up to long waits throughout the day.

Sounds like you’re going to have a lot of fun! Also sounds like you’ll be very busy lol. Looking forward to reading about how it goes. I’m not a big star wars fan either but RotR is a really cool experience, especially with the low waits but it’s a shame that with your blood sugar you can’t take advantage of all the free snacks at the after hours event. And Navi river is a great ride to rope drop at AK, it’s kind of slow loading and the boats are small so that adds up to long waits throughout the day.
I do think RotR is really cool. I think originally, I was just thinking it would've sucked up so much time from the After Hours event since it's so long, and I've done it before. But now that Rock N' Roller Coaster is down, I'll have more time. It would be fun to pay more attention this second time around.

At least with the snacks, I can take one bite and toss it and not feel so bad (except for food waste). If I weren't going to the event, I couldn't justify buying any.

Trip Update:

Screen Shot 2024-01-03 at 4.14.21 PM.png

20 days away! Less than 3 week...
This will be the longest time I'm away from my kids. Until end of February where I have a work trip to Texas, which now has unexpectedly gotten extended by 2 nights for an additional event. Grateful for my DH (and my in-laws) who will watch the kids so I can do this trip. Each of these trips will be 3 nights away, but I'll be gone just a little bit longer for my work trip. I told my husband I owe him a trip to Scotland (it's his dream to visit all the distilleries).

My daughter is turning 2 (I can't believe how quickly time has flown) next week and we just spent last week potty training her with some success, and my son will be 4 in March (we're doing a big Legoland trip for him). They're getting a little easier to leave at home, or at least I hope. I guess we'll see on this trip.

Screen Shot 2024-01-03 at 4.24.23 PM.png

So big updates are:
1) I ended up finally cancelling my ASMo reservation and checked in for AS Sports (how do you abbreviate that without it being inappropriate???).
2) I ended up getting one of my park tix. I asked a friend who's an employee at Disney here in LA area to see if she could help me buy discounted tix. She offered me one of her passes, which ends up being a park-hopper! (Still waiting for her to see if she can get the AK day). So I had to make a park reservation (even though it's after Jan 9) for my Epcot day. I'm not sure that I'll hop, but I am tempted to try to see if I can ride Tron that day but I'm not sure if I want to lose time at Epcot plus all the energy to get over there, but that's a $60 benefit! I'd need to decide in the morning since I'd have to buy an ILL for it. Ohh the dilemma! This also means I save about $150 for my budget, and can spring for some extra things (maybe GotG ILL?).

Screen Shot 2024-01-03 at 4.26.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2024-01-03 at 4.51.43 PM.png

Still have to post pre-trip plans for my last day, but will start with this little update.

Another Trip Update - More changes!

IMG_9071.jpg

I made more changes to my trip plans, which is so much fun for me to do, especially as a solo traveler. I can do what I want. I'm also an "arranger" on Strengthsfinder, so getting to mix things up and figure out puzzles brings me joy.

In my last post, I mentioned the dilemma of whether I wanted to take advantage of the park hopper my friend had gifted me. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to take a chunk of my day to go to MK. It felt like a lot to leave halfway through the day to return. I could do the end of the day, but that meant forgoing Luminous, which I had hoped to go see.

As I was thinking about it, I did think that if I were to choose, I'd rather have a chance to ride on Tron than to go on Frozen Ever After. My kids would love FEA, but this trip isn't about my kids... So if my Epcot day had to get adjusted to do it, I could take some time out to do so. Then I was watching one of the YT channels I follow, and one of the videos mentioned WS not really opening until 11, which I knew. But then something clicked in my head.

IMG_9070.jpg
I decided to go for it and start my day at MK! I changed my park reservation.

With the money saved from my friend gifting me the park hopper ticket, I have some flexibility to play around. So I decided at 7, I'd get my Remy's LL, then I'd purchase an ILL for Tron and for Guardians. I'd try to get the earliest possible Tron time I could, and then a slightly later Guardians one. I was originally going to go for the VQ for Guardians at 7, but I'm going to skip that and wait for the 1pm drop. The ILL looks like it should get me on, and if I love it, I can try for a second go with the 1pm VQ. I looked at thrill-data for some of the lighter times in December and it looks like I should be fine to get them without needing to stress too much.

With this change, I'd prioritize getting to the park faster to take more advantage of EE which will begin at 8:30. My flight lands at 6:30. Originally I was going to take Mears Connect, but with this change, I've decided to take a Lyft/Uber as soon as I land to save me some time and get to AS Sports and get my bags dropped off and get on the bus to MK. I was going to take a Lyft on the way back to airport, but decided to switch it around, so it won't cost me more. Mears Connect picks me up around the same time I would've intended to leave WDW anyways.

Magic Kingdom Plans
I'd originally skipped MK because a lot of it mirrors DL. But the idea of starting my trip going down Main Street and seeing the (significantly better) castle is still something that excites me!

I looked again at the map. Honestly, beyond Tron and Peoplemover, there's not any rides that jump out at me. Most are repeats, and even the subtle changes aren't ones that I feel like I have to experience. While I wouldn't have minded to go on SDMT, I decided I'd rather use the second ILL on GotG. I probably will have some EE time to play around with. So I'm thinking I'll enjoy Main Street, and stick around the Tomorrowland area. I'm thinking to rope drop SM. I do know that one is fairly different from DL even with the seating arrangements. If I have more time waiting, I'd see what lines are short. I don't mind hopping on some of the Fantasyland rides. Once I'm done with Tron (and Peoplemover), I'll make my way to Epcot! I'd imagine I'd be done by 10 or so at MK, giving me still quite a full day there.

Another fun thing happened today: I got my envelope from Disney Parks! It wasn't a package so no luggage tags, but it was fun to get stickers. So I put the most subtle onto my laptop cover and I'll let my kiddos play with the other two.

IMG_9072.jpg

Thursday, January 24th Plans
Onto my last day! My flight out is 7:55pm that evening (it got bumped back a little bit from the original time I booked, which is fine with me).

I plan to let myself sleep a little longer, recovering from AH at HS the night before.

My hope is to get out by about 10, since I have a mission! I'll drop off bags at Bell Services, and catch a bus to Disney Springs.

My DH, who encouraged me to take this trip, only asked me for one thing... cookies from Gideon's. He's not a huge Disney guy but he's seen enough videos in the background when I watch to know Gideon's is a thing. I had originally said, if the line is super super long, would he still want it, especially since Summer House has opened and they have cookies too? And he told me it's okay, he'd be happy with any of the cookies.

I've been waiting to see what the cookie of the month is. The first thing I did on New Year's Day was to log back into instagram (I've been trying to stay off) to check out the cookie for January.

When I saw it, I knew that God had smiled upon my husband.

IMG_9060.jpg

My husband's absolute favorite flavor is maple. And he loves walnuts. This was the cookie made for him. I told him, and he said, "you have to get me 2!" I just watched Paging Mr Morrow today and he said this had topped his list for favorite cookie.

So, if there's anything I have to do this day, it's to acquire said cookie.

So I hope to get to DS early and get that task taken care of. I imagine it shouldn't be that bad on a Thursday morning, but in case for some fluke reason, the VQ is 3-4 hours long, I can still get this one task done! I'll still pick up some cookies from Summer House for comparison.

Beyond that, I'm not a huge shopper, but I have a few gifts I might like to get some friends in case I haven't found anything for them in the park. I'd like to stop at the Christmas store.

I did make reservations for both Homecomin' and Summer House, but I'm thinking I'll likely not use either of them and do something QS if I'm hungry.

Whenever I'm done with DS (I'm imagining sometime around 12:30-1), I'm planning on hopping on a resort bus to:

Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 6.14.27 PM.png
Wilderness Lodge

My original, not so crammed, 2 park trip intended to allow more room for resort hopping. I love seeing themed hotels. People had suggested on this board to check out AKL and WL. When my trip began to shift adding all the parks, I decided I wanted to see WL more than AKL. I love the wilderness theme.

So my plan is to hop over and just explore the lodge a little bit, until about 2:45-3, when I'll make my way back to AS Sports (I think ferry to MK, and then bus from MK to AS Sports) to get my bags and wait for the bus to head to airport and head home.

My Mears Connect bus is supposed to pick up at 4:35. I think I'll have some time to kill at the airport since I'm TSA Pre-Check and I have no bags to check-in, but as I've read security's been kinda crazy, better safe than sorry.

I'll get home to LAX around 11pm, where I'll get my car to drive myself back home and see my kids the next morning!

Last edited:
T-Minus 24 hours

Can't believe it's here! It felt so distant for a while, but now I'm less than 24 hours from starting my travels!

Preparations and Packing

These last few weeks have been spent observing the weather so I have an idea of how to pack. January's in Florida really are crazy weather wise! I started seeing rain as a possibility. Then, I saw that it was going to drop down to the 30s with a high of 50s this weekend! That's brisk for my CA self.

I realized my shoes had a hole in them, and that didn't seem super conducive for rain or cold. I realized I should probably wear some different shoes. I had purchased a pair of Adidas over Thanksgiving that I hadn't tried. Well, as soon as I did, I realized there's no way I could wear those to walk 10+ miles a day.

After looking at some new shoe options, I ended up scouring ebay for shoes. I first searched for the running shoe style that I had worn over the season I ran half marathons and 1 full marathon - which I no longer do anymore. I figured if they could help me survive hundreds of miles of training, they'd be great for walking. Found a barely used pair in my size! Score!

Then I started looking into possible waterproof shoes. One of the Youtubers I follow (non-Disney) advertises for Vessi's often. I don't live in a particularly wet area - so I couldn't justify spending $100 plus on shoes I'm not even sure would be comfortable. Ebay came through again! Found a pair for less than $40. I got them, and they were in practically new condition!

Screen Shot 2024-01-21 at 9.44.08 PM.png

I also tried to get a warmer jacket!

All this preparation, only to watch the weather change. Now the forecast is this:

Screen Shot 2024-01-21 at 9.51.44 PM.png

It's not only going to not be cold, it'll be pretty warm! In one week, it'll go from 30 degrees to 80 degrees! That's Florida weather swing. We get warm weather sometimes here in CA in winter, but I don't think I've seen 80 for a while. It's been mostly in the 60s and 70s here.

But still pretty pleased with my shoe purchases! Now, I'm prepping for warmer weather. Still plan to carry some layers and rain gear, but I don't think I need to go crazy worrying it'll be too cold for my CA self.

I'm also packing some protein bars from Trader Joe's, a few apples, and some snacks. If you didn't catch earlier, I'm diabetic and trying to work on some blood sugar control, which limits the carbs I can eat, though walking should help some. I have a general idea what I'll get in the parks, but decided rather than tempt myself with carb-y breakfasts, I'll just eat some protein bars.

A Few Plan Changes
I noticed a few weeks ago, some park hours got shifted. MK was opening until 10pm rather than 9pm. Also, AK was closing an hour later than originally stated. The AK won't affect anything, but when I realized that MK was closing later, I decided to make a shift. Also, getting some feedback here that HEA was a better experience than Luminous, I decided to end my day in MK rather than start there since I'd have an extra hour of park time. So I'll start in Epcot! I'll aim to get a later Tron ILL (and pray it doesn't have any issue). I'm undecided whether to get a multiple parks Genie Plus or just Epcot, but leaning towards the former so maybe I can stack some rides then. Ending at MK gives me a chance to try to end my day on SDMT.

I went in to change my reservation back to Epcot, only to find this: Screen Shot 2024-01-21 at 10.01.56 PM.png
I knew the 23rd was a Good to Go day for Annual Passholders. Guess it applies to other types of tickets also. So I don't need to do anything except scan in. Now I can do whatever I feel like that morning and no need for any reservations!

Final Prep Day
Tomorrow, I need to work a half day. Originally, I thought I took the whole day off. But as I looked at my work load, I realized I needed to do some work in the morning before I left, so I went to change my time off only to find out I had only requested a half day off! So it worked out.

Since I'll be gone from my kids for 3 days, we decided we'll just put my son in school for half day, instead of his full day. Once I'm done with work, we'll pick him up and spend the afternoon together before I leave. I aim to take off around 8:00pm to head to the airport for my 10:45 flight.

I think that wraps up this PTR! Will be starting up a Trip Report - won't have anything but my phone so I'll likely wait until I get home next Friday to start sharing what actually happens on this trip! Hope you can follow along.

I love your pre-trip report.
I should warn you that you will be wanting to walk towards an attraction at the MK as if you were at Disneyland only to realize it’s not the same !
Im excited to hear all about your adventure when you return home .
Happy safe travel Wishes for you !

I love your pre-trip report.
I should warn you that you will be wanting to walk towards an attraction at the MK as if you were at Disneyland only to realize it’s not the same !
Im excited to hear all about your adventure when you return home .
Happy safe travel Wishes for you !
Thank you! Glad to have you reading along. :)

Are you referring to the fact that the rides are different (even if they’re the same) or that I’ll get confused by the park layout? I have barely looked at MK map since this was a last minute add on so I’m pretty sure I’m going to be confused!

Quick update: on day 2 and finished 3 of 4 parks and getting ready to get on Skyliner from AoA to go to HS After Hours!

image.jpg

Been an incredible trip thus far and looking forward to start a trip report when I get home!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter