Why do single rooms not have two beds?

Elsaalltheway

DIS Veteran
OK, I know that may not be phrased right, but what I mean is why does only one have two queen beds. I know they all sleep four or five, but why do all the other rooms that are not kings have a queen and then full pull out. Again I do realize that OKW does have two actual queens too. Most of the moderate, deluxe and even PoP have two queens, so why not DVC? Is it since it's supposed to be a home away from home they want it to feel more like a home? I can understand that too, but the only upgrade from another standard room is a toaster, again even PoP has a fridge and a coffee maker. So does anybody think there will be a time when they move to the dual beds instead of the couch?

Last week I spent three nights in a 4 star resort with 2 queen beds. I hated it! There was no where to "sit" in the unit. The room also had a desk, but no table. We had to lay on the bed to relax. We had to sit on the bed to eat our pizza. I really missed the 1 bed with a couch set up in the DVC villas. I made a mental note to never book an OKW studio with two queen beds.

Maybe the studios were mostly occupied by two people so they have one bed and a pull out sofa if more people were in the room.

:earsboy: Bill

OK, I know that may not be phrased right, but what I mean is why does only one have two queen beds. I know they all sleep four or five, but why do all the other rooms that are not kings have a queen and then full pull out. Again I do realize that OKW does have two actual queens too. Most of the moderate, deluxe and even PoP have two queens, so why not DVC? Is it since it's supposed to be a home away from home they want it to feel more like a home? I can understand that too, but the only upgrade from another standard room is a toaster, again even PoP has a fridge and a coffee maker. So does anybody think there will be a time when they move to the dual beds instead of the couch?
Toaster and a microwave. Oh, and mugs/cups. And the wet bar. And the supply of paper plates, bowls and forks/knives/spoons.

We like it because we are either two or three people. And by having a couch, it gives us somewhere to sit and relax.

And the studios with Murphy beds - you can take a kid and still have a couch and the feeling of space!

My guess it was less cost to Disney, thus more profit. Why does Disney do anything, for the money! All the studios since OKW, except the Poly are 10-12% or more smaller, and do not have room for 2 real beds.

Last edited:

Flexibility. A sofa bed can be used as either a sofa or a bed.

The second queen bed is only useful as a bed. And it occupies a lot of space in the room, relatively speaking.

It's not a hotel, it's a timeshare.

With timeshares, you typically buy for the extra space. 2BRs are typically the standard. A studio is for couples at the most. But Disney is expensive so you have more of an issue now with people trying to cram 4 or 5 into a hotel room-sized studio, but that was not the original intention.

I suspect OKW only has the 2 bed studio because Disney wasn't confident that the timeshare thing would work out back in 1992...

Thank you everybody for your responses. I do understand where everybody is coming from. I will be staying at one in a few months, and look forward to the change. I'm not opposed to the Hide away style. It's what PoP has went to since they updated. I have another another question. At the end of the stay do we leave the bed out so they know it's been used? Just asking since it's my first visit using DVC I just became a member this month.

I have another another question. At the end of the stay do we leave the bed out so they know it's been used? Just asking since it's my first visit using DVC I just became a member this month.
Yes, please -- that would certainly make it clear to housekeeping that the pull-out bed had been used by the guest.

Disney (and other hotels) have added a lot to the hotel rooms since DVC began. As I recall the hotels did not come with fridges - you could get them for medical reasons and possible get them for an additional charge if it wasn't a medical requirement. I don't remember coffee makers in the moderates/values years ago but that's been a long time since I've stayed in them so my memory may not be correct. Microwaves? Nope - they weren't there. DVC offered all of these things.

I don't think they'd make a change to 2 beds in any of the existing that don't have them but then I never thought they'd add a bed to studios to sleep 5 at the resorts that were built sleeping 4.

actually, with the poly's mostly studio set up, it does seem like Disney was aiming more for a hotel-type experience than a typical timeshare, so if they were ever going to go back to having 2 real beds, that would have been the time to do it IMO.

After OKW, the studios weren't big enough for two queen sized beds. They were big enough for one queen sized bed and one double sleeper sofa. The Polynesian (or was it GFV) the start of the queen bed and queen sleeper sofa.

Thank you everybody for your responses. I do understand where everybody is coming from. I will be staying at one in a few months, and look forward to the change. I'm not opposed to the Hide away style. It's what PoP has went to since they updated. I have another another question. At the end of the stay do we leave the bed out so they know it's been used? Just asking since it's my first visit using DVC I just became a member this month.

Not only do we leave the sofa bed open we strip the sheets off and leave them piled on the bed so they know for sure they need to be changed and the bed doesn't get just remade.

Thank you all for your input. I will strip the beds and, at one time share I stayed in, they had us put the sheets and towels in the tub. I think I'll do that. I think since there will be four of us. I'll try and sleep on the pull down. I don't mind. I tend to stay in the same spot all night as it is.

After OKW, the studios weren't big enough for two queen sized beds. They were big enough for one queen sized bed and one double sleeper sofa. The Polynesian (or was it GFV) the start of the queen bed and queen sleeper sofa.

I don't think that's the case. Studios have more square footage than moderates which hold 2 queen beds. Also, I'm pretty sure that when opened, a full size pullout sofa takes up the same or more space than a queen bed (definitely longer, and at the arms of the couch as wide or wider). Plus you are still needing room for the coffee table and the cushions.... There has to be enough room for a 2nd queen, but they're choosing not to.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter