Why do you go solo?

Well, even though i've not had the chance to do a solo trip to WDW yet, the main reason I want to go is to the freedom of being able to choose where I want to go in the parks...

The ability to choose my own pace at the parks. I am a fairly early to park, early to bed type of person, so I kind of go Commando style while not doing EMH's. This helps me have more fun with less crowds. It also makes getting food at sit down restaurants easier because if there is a bar, there is usually a seat.

Before reading this thread I have to say I was a little hesitant about going. I wasn't sure if you look like a creepy weird guy for going by yourself or what have you, but by reading this thread it is very common and an enjoyable experience. I am curious though, is there certain hotels or restaurants more solo travelers frequent. It would be great to meet up with other solo travelers to discuss the days trip and what each did.

I don't know if you can generalize in that way. However from my experiences the YC and GF tend to attract a more adult crowd.

Before reading this thread I have to say I was a little hesitant about going. I wasn't sure if you look like a creepy weird guy for going by yourself or what have you, but by reading this thread it is very common and an enjoyable experience. I am curious though, is there certain hotels or restaurants more solo travelers frequent. It would be great to meet up with other solo travelers to discuss the days trip and what each did.

actually there's a thread on here just for that. people meet up all the time to catch a show or share a meal together. as for where solo people stay... it really depends on what you like in a resort. some are DVC owners, others just stick to one resort because it makes them happy, others like to try new things so they stay all over.

Before reading this thread I have to say I was a little hesitant about going. I wasn't sure if you look like a creepy weird guy for going by yourself or what have you, but by reading this thread it is very common and an enjoyable experience.

An important thing to remember is that you don't wear a sign that says, "Hey, look at me, I'm here by myself". Very, very few notice or even care a little bit. Many times one person will take a ride while there companion sits it out. Unless, you say something no one knows. And it sure does come in handy in the couple of single rider lines that you might find.

On occasion I've had people ask me, but only if they saw me sitting by myself on a bench and it was more of an ice breaker type of question then real curiosity. When asked I tell them I am solo. Usually they ask what I do here alone and I just respond with...the exact same thing you do. I love the place. Usually ends the discussion right there.

About a week ago I found out I'd be going to a conference at the Dolphin in June. I decided to take advantage of the opportunity and go down a few days early to enjoy the parks before the conference. Realizing I was going to be solo at WDW, I quickly checked out this forum for useful tips.

I've traveled solo on business quite a bit over the last 30 years (Hawaii, Scotland, Tampa, Germany, England, etc), and even before that, so I've no problem going to WDW by myself. In fact am looking forward to it as I'll be able to do whatever I want without having to have a family consensus. I enjoy traveling by myself and the freedom that comes with it. I always take a book along to enjoy during meals (or even while waiting), though I also like to people-watch occasionally.

The ability to be free. Free to do whatever you want when ever you want. To enjoy some peace and quiet. To have your own schedule or no schedule at all.

To enjoy things that others in your party may not find enjoyable.

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I'm planning to in a few. :)

I'm a 49 year old woman who has never done anything alone in my entire life. I barely even got to go to the bathroom by myself. ;)

I was married with children as a teenager and the grandchildren started coming before my youngest child was grown. I have been babysitting two of my grandsons full time for about four years. The youngest is just three months old. I also work around the kids as a transcriptionist. With that I can make my own hours.

Anyway, as soon as I found that I had a week off later this month while the other set of grandparents is in town, I booked at WDW. Originally, I thought DH would come with me, but he is not as into it as me. He doesn't want to go twice in a month. I don't count the first time since it was just a three day weekend. :)

This will be my first solo adventure. I am both nervous and super excited! I'm looking forward to going where I want, when I want, and at my own pace. I plan to play both SOMK and Agent P. DH doesn't ever want to do either.

I can't wait to get there!! :banana:

After years of of annual visits as a family, I LOVE a few days to stop & smell the roses...at my own pace and without fretting that everyone else is having as good a time as me.

For the past few yrs, now that the nest is empty....we've worked out a great plan that works for us. With our DVC, we can squeeze 2 visits most years. I go down first...spend a few days in a studio doing all the things I love. Then DH joins me & we switch to a 1-BR for a few days to enjoy the kitchen & the space. And we focus on pool time & romantic dinners. A win/win for both of us!

:lovestruc

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I'm planning to in a few. :)

I'm a 49 year old woman who has never done anything alone in my entire life. I barely even got to go to the bathroom by myself. ;)

I was married with children as a teenager and the grandchildren started coming before my youngest child was grown. I have been babysitting two of my grandsons full time for about four years. The youngest is just three months old. I also work around the kids as a transcriptionist. With that I can make my own hours.

Anyway, as soon as I found that I had a week off later this month while the other set of grandparents is in town, I booked at WDW. Originally, I thought DH would come with me, but he is not as into it as me. He doesn't want to go twice in a month. I don't count the first time since it was just a three day weekend. :)

This will be my first solo adventure. I am both nervous and super excited! I'm looking forward to going where I want, when I want, and at my own pace. I plan to play both SOMK and Agent P. DH doesn't ever want to do either.

I can't wait to get there!! :banana:

I love being solo at WDW..and I find that if I am with DH I tend to want to have a day or two solo to do what I enjoy at my pace...I am looking forward to being solo at F&G...time to enjoy ...

I go solo as I was sick of waiting for the people who wanted to go to find some time to go with me. I love doing it solo as I can change my mind without someone giving out to me or go on all of the rides I want to go on without someone waiting for me and eat at all the places I want to. I get talking to new people at the hotel or in the parks and have a great time with them. I've met friends who came from Australia, South Africa, all over America who were in the same place at the same time and we still email each other and talk about our next trip!

I decided after my first full time job to book a holiday to Orlando a month before I was due to go as that was the only two weeks I could get off. I didn't even tell my mother about it until it was booked!

Well she thought I was going to run away as I never mentioned wanting to go before until it was booked. Plus it was first alone holiday ever so she was so worried.

I've booked my third solo, fourth Orlando holiday for September and I'm so excited. A few friends from work are coming over the same time but we are staying separately. I went with a friend last year and she didn't like heights or really hot weather or rollercoasters or to try different food so well she was a pain so I love being solo.

Sorry long rant at the end! :rotfl:

The trip I'm currently planning for Oct 2013 will be my first solo trip to WDW. For me it's mainly about wanting to do/see/stay/eat what I want, when I want. I adore WDW with my family from the 25 person vacations to the week with my BFF and sis to the first trip with my godsons, but I am a pushover. And will *almost* always defer to other people's comfort/needs/wants etc. As much as I enjoyed my last three trips, I'm intrigued by going alone. It's been so exciting planning this trip and never stopping to say, "so and so won't want to", "the pace is to fast for..." etc. To be able to plan just for me is exciting.

I haven't told my family yet. And I will admit I feel very guilty, almost as if I'm afraid of being disrespectful in some way or if I'm implying they somehow make me unhappy. But that isn't it at all, I'm just ready to go for me and about me this time.

Like someone else said, I first started traveling alone in my 20s because I got tired of trying to coordinate other people's vacay dates and waiting for them to have money at the same time. Now it is all solo trips as much by choice as anything. Solo trips are now the only time I am not on someone else's schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

The trip I'm currently planning for Oct 2013 will be my first solo trip to WDW. For me it's mainly about wanting to do/see/stay/eat what I want, when I want. I adore WDW with my family from the 25 person vacations to the week with my BFF and sis to the first trip with my godsons, but I am a pushover. And will *almost* always defer to other people's comfort/needs/wants etc. As much as I enjoyed my last three trips, I'm intrigued by going alone. It's been so exciting planning this trip and never stopping to say, "so and so won't want to", "the pace is to fast for..." etc. To be able to plan just for me is exciting.

I haven't told my family yet. And I will admit I feel very guilty, almost as if I'm afraid of being disrespectful in some way or if I'm implying they somehow make me unhappy. But that isn't it at all, I'm just ready to go for me and about me this time.

Me to I am going In Oct 2013 MNSSHP. This will be my first solo trip also. This will be the first with out my DS. There was never a i cant do this or do that scenario, so this is all about the Mouse, Disney and golf, but it will diffently diffrent and just trying to get a feel for going by my self.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter