Why Epcot is now my least favorite park

Richb1989

Earning My Ears
Hey All,

first time post, after being a longtime listener to the Podcast I finally decided to jump onboard.

After my most recent trip to WDW in early December last year I've left feeling like someone knowing a relationship is over. and that relationship is with EPCOT.

Whenever I'm on my way to WDW (I'm from the UK so its a major trip I try to make once a year if possible) the things I'm most excited about are nearly always at EPCOT. This time was no different, I wanted Soarin, I wanted the Candlelight processional and I wanted a good old adventure around world showcase. But near the end of my trip Ive realized that EPCOT is now the park I would spend the least amount of time in. I feel like I've lost a long term friend.

I know that its about to undergo a massive multi year overhaul, but I'm not sure that can save it for me. Im not excited about guardians of the galaxy (not the right park) and while I love the ratatouille ride (rode in Paris) its not enough to claw it back for me. Epcot's problems go much deeper I feel.

I will start by listing my current parks by most likely to visit to least and reasons

1. Magic Kingdom... surely no explanation is required?
2. Animal Kingdom. Pandora is an achievement of the highest order. Between flight of passage (more on that later) and that slush they sell from the Pogu Pogu place. I honestly went there one morning just to walk in and get a drink and look at Pandora. Could spend hours here alone.
3. Hollywood Studios. This one will probably make its way to the top soon, but one thing keeps it not last for me. Toy Story Mania. If it is possible to be addicted to a ride then I think this is the one, current record is 7 times in a day. I Crave those high scores and it keeps me coming back for more, also this year this park had the best Christmas decorations of all.
4. Epcot... and heres why.

Future world is a shadow of the land I used to love, the awful use of space within the area, especially in what was innoventions gives the whole thing a very cheap feel. Walking into meet baymax and be met with essentially construction walls and the sight of hundreds of square meters behind gives the whole thing the feel of a struggling theme park with dwindling attractions. The seas with Nemo and friends is a relic from a time best gone (yes I'm talking about that terrible excuse for a dolphin enclosure, Disney could do much better here and provide a much better experience for the animals in their care) and test track hasn't been the same since its changes. and then there is Soarin. what used to be the crown jewel of Disney attractions isn't as good since the change of film, and then now we have Flight of passage, soarin no longer feels like your soarin!

There are also massive maintenance issues in this space. the Innoventions east dead body smell (am I the only one that smells it!) and the amount of lighting that was out on the buildings. it felt cheap and screaming for a park that is in desperate need for love and money!

Then there is world showcase. The continuing IP drops into the countries is a shame but I feel necessary to keep modern day tourists coming through the gates. The Edutainment of Epcot ended long a go, but there is nothing stopping a mix of these. Frozen could be more about Norwegian culture, ratatouille isn't going to teach you about France. I want to feel like I'm in these countries as much as possible, and pavilions like morocco and Japan still let me get lost in a world, frozen on a sign breaks that for me and it makes me sad.

So there we have it, I love EPCOT and want it back to its best, and I hope I'm wrong and its not beyond saving. but for now, I think its time we saw other theme parks.

Much love Disers!

Sidenote. Im off to Disneyland Paris again and wondered if anyone would be interested in a comparison thread between there and our equivalent WDW parks. Let me know :)

Second sidenote, ignore all spelling mistakes. Written in haste on a lunch break!

There are also massive maintenance issues in this space. the Innoventions east dead body smell (am I the only one that smells it!) and the amount of lighting that was out on the buildings. it felt cheap and screaming for a park that is in desperate need for love and money!

I've always likened it to a sewage smell but I completely understand

All very valid though I still love Epcot. My daughter's first trip we skipped Epcot because my husband thought she was too young to enjoy it (she was just turning 5) so our last trip was the first time she got to experience Epcot.

Watching her be enthralled as she watched the dolphins, riding Test Track with her (her now favorite Epcot ride), seeing her play in the fountains and more made Epcot even more magical for me. Yes, it definitely needs some love and work - hopefully once Star Wars land is finished they can move their attention to Epcot.

wtq3q.jpg

Each to their own.

Maybe, try a time there like the Food and Wine Festival in Epcot.

Do some back stage tours in Epcot; costs additional monies.

Find some hidden mickeys there.

Do the live street entertainment offered.

I'm sure Disney will get better with Epcot.

This!!!

Then there is world showcase. The continuing IP drops into the countries is a shame but I feel necessary to keep modern day tourists coming through the gates. The Edutainment of Epcot ended long a go, but there is nothing stopping a mix of these. Frozen could be more about Norwegian culture, ratatouille isn't going to teach you about France. I want to feel like I'm in these countries as much as possible, and pavilions like morocco and Japan still let me get lost in a world, frozen on a sign breaks that for me and it makes me sad.

EPCOT had been one of my favorites but it's slipping, for sure, and I'm in 110% agreement with your statement. I hope the reboot of the park sparks some life into it and they improve the merchandising and originality of World Showcase.

There's nothing new and exciting, and the saturation of Frozen has left my family not wanting to even step foot into Norway, sadly. That used to be one of our favorites. I miss picking up original and what looked to be authentic nick-nicks and jewelry from the many countries - they've gotten rid of so much merchandise and I would drop some serious dough if they brought it back. It's all crap. Nothing original or it's been all Disneyfied. Now, I walk out with maybe one thing from the entire park. I couldn't less about Frozen - I'm so over it. And while I loved the movie Co Co, I'd hate to see the Mexico Pavilion turn in to what Norway has. I'm not excited to go into WS any longer.

Right now, I just cannot see placing Hollywood Studios above Epcot. Sure, there's TSMM, but that's one attraction. Even putting that together with the few other attractions at Hollywood Studios, I don't see how it comes out on top of Test Track, Mission Space, Spaceship Earth, Frozen Ever After, Living with the Land, Soarin', O Canada!, Reflections of China, Impressions de France, The American Adventure, and all the richness of the theming of the World Showcase. Don't get me wrong: Once Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge opens, it'll be a different story. At that point, Epcot at the bottom of the list will make sense, not as a reflection of any shortcomings on the part of Epcot but rather as a reflection of how great the other three parks have become.

I completely agree with you about the decline of “edutainment” (good word!). I was and still am a huge opponent of Frozen in Norway. I do not understand why Ratatouille needs to be in France. And , yes, Innoventions needs serious love. I too want to be immersed in the cultures of the different lands and adding those types of rides takes away from that immersion.

Glad I am not the only one.

To each, their own. I love Epcot, especially the vibe in the World Showcase. I could literally spend hours there just hanging out. Grab a snack, a drink and catch an act. It’s a great place for adults to just hang, but when we bring my baby nieces there, they always enjoy it too.

It probably helps that my first visit to the park was in 1999 so I missed Future World in its hey day. I can’t miss what I’ve never experienced.

MK and Epcot are the two major parks at WDW. No doubt that Epcot, especially FW, needs some updating, but I have faith that Disney will take do it. They are not going to let one of their major Florida parks go completely downhill.

I am on board with you and FW needing a lot of love. The empty (for the most part) Innoventions buildings are a true shame and one of the worse things in all of WDW for me. We spent a full day just playing around with the different displays when they were both full. Now we never go in at all.

But you lost me on WS. So they put Frozen in Norway. And the country from Frozen is fake, I get that. It's not set IN Norway proper. But it is very Norway like, I see the connection. They added a lot of connections to show why in the Stave Church.
I am never going to complain when a new ride is brought in so no complaints here about their putting Ratatatoulie in France. I mean, it really is set you know, in France.
There is still a lot of education leaning things all around WS. Nothing takes away being able to talk with the CP kids from those countries. We do Kid Craft stations just to do that. And we love chatting with our servers about how they enjoyed being here, especially when it's their first times. I'm in awe of these young people picking up and going so far from home, often all alone.
The merchandise is still predominately specific to those countries, heck in China and Japan I'm pretty sure the countries run the stores and there isn't anything Disney in them.
They've announced the films are getting refreshing.
So there is some areas lacking but Disney sees most of it and is trying.
And that's not even addressing what they do in the WS during Christmas with the various story tellers about the culture, or foods they bring in all during the year.

Epcot is my favorite park. But I like the immersion into the countries rather than Disney adding things like Frozen or Ratatouille. I wish Disney would spend more money & time into making a more immersive/educational feel of the countries than adding rides for the kiddies. Not that I don’t love the ride in Mexico & I loved Malestorm too, but those centered around the countries they are/were in, not around a cartoon. As for the rest of Epcot, I do believe Disney should do a lot more in other pavilions. Also, I have to say I hate that they’re adding the gondolas going to the international gateway......HATE IT.

I don't think every attraction needs to teach you about the country it is in. Kids will learn absolutely nothing about any of the countries if you can't convince them to go into the World Showcase. I know from experience, my son absolutely hated World Showcase until he was old enough to start appreciating the shopping, and food and beverage offerings.

Bringing IP, and fun rides / attractions into World Showcase is a draw for the kids. Once they are there to experience Frozen, or Ratatouille, then you have the opportunity to have them experience some of the edutainment as well. It doesn't have to be one, or the other, it can be both, they can work together.

We love Epcot best but we always come in early December. Our favorite thing on our trips is seeing the storytellers. Our best WDW memory is from our first visit when DS6 was 2. We went to see Father Christmas tell a story and all DS6 wanted to do was hug him during the story. We have video of him running up to Father Christmas with arms out yelling Seeta, Seeta and big brother running after him to get him to sit down. Father Christmas has trouble keeping a straight face.

It's nice that Disney has a little something for everyone, right?? Epcot is my favorite park. It feels like home. It's the one park I could visit solo and feel 100% at ease. I think I could walk the World Showcase every day and not get bored.

I love Epcot. I could spend days there and not get tired of it.

I know people say FW is lacking, but we have a hard time getting out of FW to spend enough time in WS.

ETA...We didn’t see a single story teller last December. I guess we just weren’t at each country at the right time. :(

It truly is a shame that Disney let the park go untouched for so many years. Of course they kept getting more visitors with zero investment. The World Showcase I am still a fan of but it has become more of a drink around the world visit for me (not that I mind) but from a cultural stand point it is long lost. I mean when Martin Short from 25+ years ago is the attraction in Canada you know it is due for upgrades (no offense Martin). EPCOT has turned into a food and drink bazaar. Pretty much could knock it all down and have food and beer trucks in the parking lot and it serves the same purpose (OK its an exaggeration). Bottom line is EPCOT is like a Mall from the 1990's. You may have liked visiting it as a kid but you dont want to see the same gum stuck on the chair years later.

It truly is a shame that Disney let the park go untouched for so many years.
I'm actually shocked at just how much Disney is doing to the resort as a whole in the late 2010s: Pandora, Toy Story Land, Star Wars Galaxy's Edge; Frozen Ever After, Rivers of Light, Ratatouille, Mickey & Minnie's Wild Ride (or whatever they're going to call it), Tron coaster, Tomorrowland Speedway rehab; and so on and so on. It reminds me of "The Disney Decade" but even that didn't uplift every corner of the resort. I wouldn't have sacrificed any of the things Disney has done or is planning to do for an equally-sized uplift of Epcot. We enjoy Epcot as it is, even though it hasn't changed as much in recent years.

I think you have some very valid points, however I personally think Epcot is my favorites (and for several reasons).

Food and Wine/Flower and Garden have easily become must-do's for my husband and I. We're big foodies and love sampling new dishes whenever we can, plus the atmosphere at night - being able to walk around at our leisure and sample and enjoy the music, sights and fireworks - is wonderful.

Shopping is huge for me - the selection and variety of culture that World Showcase offers (and having MouseGear right around the corner for Disney merch) is unsurpassable. I could easily spend half a day perusing all of the shops (and have a harder time leaving without spending too much).

Because shopping isn't the only variety offered, we take advantage of all of the restaurants options in World Showcase. Some of my favorite dining experiences have been at the Mexico Pavilion (LOVE THIS PLACE!), Nine Dragons, and Tokyo Dining. Teppan Edo, Le Cellier and Spice Road Table are on our list of things to do and they are highly anticipated.

On some of our most recent trips, we've taken the time to watch the cinema features (Canada + China) and street performers and were pleasantly surprised. The performers in China are very entertaining, and the a capella group inside America is very talented. Much can be said about the side shows, they're definitely worth your time.

Lastly, we love that we don't feel as though we have to spend a whole day at Epcot to get a full Disney experience. It is unique in that we can go for a couple of hours, wine and dine, shop, eat, and throw in one or two rides (if we choose) and be completely content. Personally, when I visit any of the other three parks, I don't feel the same - for example, if we choose to go to MK, unless I'm trying to catch all of the parades and squeeze as many rides into my day as possible, it doesn't feel like a "complete" day, or like I missed out on something. Epcot has none of that.

Bottom line: it's the all-inclusive adult experience that Epcot offers as opposed to the remaining parks that has me hooked. :flower:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!