Why I'm Running - Comments Welcome

In September of this year (2013), after 3 years of being told my pain and problems were "all in my head", I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. While being told you have a chronic, lifelong disease with no cure is a bad thing, it was a relief to finally have a name to put with my problem, and to know that while there isn't a cure, there are treatments that have been proven to help you live a "normal" life, even if it's a "new" normal.

The initial drug cocktail that most RA patients get put on is methotrexate and prednisone, which I started at the beginning of October (I'll have insurance in January, so I'll be starting one of the biologic medications then, since I have a very aggressive form of RA and we're really wanting to prevent joint damage since I'm only 34). This worried me, because I'd recently gained about 30 lbs over 2 years of being on depo provera, and while I was probably "underweight" to begin with, 30 lbs was a bit too much weight, and I had heard horror stories about people going on prednisone and ballooning up 100 lbs in a year or two. This made me realize that I was at the point in my life where my normal activity level just wouldn't cut it and I would ... ::GASP:: ... have to start watching what I eat more closely, and start actually exercising.

I've cut way back on soda, because I found Mio and Crystal Light water enhancers that include caffeine (I don't drink coffee or tea), and that was the main reason I drank soda. I stopped taking money with me to school so I can't buy the junk food they have there, and I bring food with me, usually either a sandwich or a tuna kit. Food in the house is harder to control, since I'm living with my 95 year old grandfather who eats what he wants (and I'm not complaining, at least he's eating) and keeps junk food around because he has more self-control than I do. So my compromise is to buy the 100 calorie or single serve packs of "junk" type food and that's helping with the junk cravings without having to completely deprive myself. I'm switching out regular stuff for low calorie/low fat/low sodium options, and keeping them as long as I don't notice a difference in taste.

I've been kinda half-way doing it, because school has been crazy, but now that I officially registered for the Expedition Everest Challenge in May 2014, I have an actual concrete goal in mind, and that will keep me on track (hopefully). I'm using the Endomondo activity tracker app on my phone, combined with a FitBit One to monitor and remind me to be more active during the day. I've set up a "Couch to 5K" training program on Endomondo to start on Saturday (Dec 21), so I'll be following that the best I can, based on how I'm feeling each day. My goal is to have a 15 minute mile pace, so that if I want to stop for a few seconds and take pictures, I won't get behind.

I've got a set of adjustable ankle weights that I'm going to start out with. I'm already wearing them around the house right now. They're only 1.25 lbs each (I can add another weight to make them 2.5 lbs each later), so they won't make too much of a difference to start, but I figure any bit will help, and I can add a weight vest later if I need to.

If anyone has an Endomondo account or a FitBit and wants to add me as a friend (so we can encourage/taunt each other lol), just send me a PM. And it's nice to meet you all!

Yeah, I know this is a lot of random info, but I'm gonna start out tracking what I think is useful (and what I'm working on losing), and see how it goes from there. I'm going to try to remember to update weekly distance totals (running and just general day-to-day wandering) and measurements (and, for reference, I'm 34 and 5'7").

Training start date: December 21, 2014
Current medications: Prednisone 10mg/day; Methotrexate 15mg/week
Starting weight: 157
Starting waist: 32
Starting hips: 42
Starting thighs: 23.5

So day one didn't go so well. Completely forgot that today I was starting walking, so I donated blood yesterday. Eek. It's bad enough that my blood pressure is pretty low usually, and that I'm borderline anemic, and trying to exercise on top of that wasn't the best idea I've ever had. I made it through the first 2 of the "low intensity" intervals (5 min walk, 2 min jog, 1 min recovery walk) but then only got halfway through the third before I started feeling it in my head. So I just did a faster walk during the intervals and slowed my walk speed way down for the recovery periods.

And yes, it really was 73* at 6:30 PM.

nJNJFR4.jpg

I love using my Fitbit to keep track of my steps, calories and every other bit of data it tracks. I gave up on Endomondo a while ago. Giving blood the day before you start running-- not good!

I started couch to 5k in May-- I'm 63 and have lost 60 pounds this year. I've done four 5k since then--at an absolute snail's pace, I'm generally the last one across the finish line - so take your time and keep at it! I repeated weeks when necessary. And I'm doing the 5k, 10k and princess half next month-- all alone! If I can do this, anyone can. There's no one on the planet less athletic than I am.

As for the weather--better 73 than the 15 it was here this morning! Our road is frozen so solid I couldn't run on it, even with Yax Trax-- mini chains that fit over your shoes for better traction. I can't wait to get to Disney and run in warmer weather-- I really do better in hot than in cold. Hopefully there won't be a cold snap like there was a few years ago.

I'm in! I have not used FitBit but I have used the BodyMedia armband. I was going to try active link from Weight Watchers, but the one I bought did not work.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems with Prednisone. I hope you can get on the different meds soon. Prednisone sucks. Make sure you watch your blood sugar with it. I believe that is a huge contributor to my diabetes. Good luck on the Everest Challenge. I never realized just how many races Disney has.

So RealLife™ kicked in over the holidays (translation: my nutcase sister and her adorable children arrived) and I didn't get to exercise because I was too busy entertaining (translation: playing endless games of Whoonu, which I lost horribly because I don't know anything about what my nieces like and don't like, and Apples to Apples Big Picture, which I also lost repeatedly). And now that they've gone back home, it's been so cold I can barely move. I've managed a few minutes here and there on the exercise bike, but don't really think it was enough to do much. The good news is I have an appointment with my rheumatologist on Friday, so hopefully I'll get on better meds. The bad news is I lost my FitBit today while touring the college I'll be going to in the fall. I filed a report with the campus police and they'll keep an eye out for it in the lost and found, but I'm not holding out hope it'll be turned in. Sucks, too, cause I would have easily cleared the 10 floors and 10,000 step challenges today while walking around (University of West Florida in Pensacola ... the campus is *HUGE*).

Jilly, do you mind if I ask how old you are? I'll admit, the college comment threw me. I'm sorry about your fitbit. Have you tried contacting their security to see if somebody turned it in? How hard is it to replace them?

I'm 34. At least until April 1. :)

I've filed a lost and found report with campus police, but they haven't found it yet. Either it got lost between classes and broke, or somebody took it home with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!