Why is AKL cheaper than some of the other Deluxe

Peter Pirate--well-said. Part of the ambiance of an African Savannah is being off the beaten track. Obviously, if this resort were to sit on the highway under the Castle, it wouldn't be the same. This is not for everybody--it's for those who want something a little quieter and different that the usual Disney experience.

Hear Hear, Peter Pirate!

Peter has gotten right at the mark! Appreciating AKL does not require exclusive tastes but it does require an open mind. In other words, when it comes to AKL's theming, you don't have to be some sort of cosmopolitan genius to "get it", but you should be prepared for a very different and non-traditional lodging experience. That being said, it is still probably not for everyone. Disney has taken a significant and commendable risk in the design of AKL, and IMO has succeeded admirably.

Can you tell I'm looking forward to returning next week? :)

Jonathan

we just got back from AKL - Why did we stay there? Those lower room prices. We would have never considered a deluxe resort - I was quite excited when we got to CBR last year, but since they had a special offer on, and we got a room for $153/night, we decided to give it a try. (and as an added bonus, we got a savannah view, which we didn't expect)

I think it's a superb hotel - it is a little isolated, but we found the buses ran very regularly, and we ended up using them even though we had planned on taking our car.

There are loads of activities on - we had a list in our room and we were disappointed that we didn't have a day free to spend at the hotel and just try all the activities - there was something nearly every hour throughout the day. One that I remember, that I've not heard mentioned before, was cookie decorating in Boma - my dd would have loved that.
We also went out on the Arusha Rock one evening and there was a CM with a night scope to allow you to view the animals after dark. It's not mickey - but it was amazing - we had mickey and characters all day, it was nice to come home to something different and unusual.

You've also got 2 superb restaurants at the hotel - and a lovely pool. I will admit I was a little disappointed with the shop - we have been to other deluxes to eat, and I've always enjoyed browsing the extensive stores, but the store at AKL is a little small for my shopping appetite!

If a view of giraffes and impala playing outside of your room appeals, then I would say try AKL - we spent hours on the balcony just watching the giraffes.

I don't know how big the rooms were compared to others - we found it ok but nothing special - the only slight complaint was that it was very dark - they could have used some more lighting.

Bev

DeeP.....ditto to everything you said!!:)

Peter....I don't think we are debating wether AKL is an excellent resort or a much different experiece.
AKL is a BEAUTIFUL resort and quite a wonderful and magical experience.....but.....
The poster was just curious as to why the lower price for AKL vs the other deluxes.
and I think we all gave excellent reasons.

As for "....Does the word zoo mean anything?..." we live within 20 minutes of a major zoo and visit it often. The animals at AKL can also been seen on the Safari while at AK. Don't get me wrong.....I love to watch them from the room.....stayed at AKL last year and loved it......
But the other deluxes have other activities that AKL doesn't.

AND .... IMHO..... the room size does matter. And I have experienced good and bad with the buses at all the resorts. I don't feel AKL is superior....but just the same as the others.

AKL is definitely one of our FAVORITES!! and yes may not be for everyone.....but there are differences that make it less likely to be as popular as the other deluxes.:D

Well, this is just my opinion, but this is why I think that AKL is cheaper than other (not WL) deluxes.

1) Not within walking distance of any parks, must rely on bus transportation everywhere you want to go, or have your own car.
It is farther removed from everything.

2) room size. The rooms are only 340 square ft, compared with 400-500 plus sq feet at other deluxes.

3) no bike or boat rentals, only one pool.

We have never stayed there, but if we go, and aren't interested in seeing or doing too much in the parks, it would be a nice place to stay. Otherwise, I would rather save the money and stay at a moderate.

I don't know how Disney sets their rates but I can comment on our experience. We have stayed at meny of the resorts from the AS up to the highest priced hotels. Last year we stayed at the AKL with a discounted room price and really enjoyed the hotel, pool, restaurant, and of course the animals. It was a great hotel at great price. The only drawback was the long bus rides to everything. The bus service was fine because the bus only runs to the AKL. The long ride is because of the location of the hotel.

It is funny that everyone thinks the busses are the worst transportation option. I enjoy the monorail and the boats but find them painfully slow. The walking paths are a nice option but sometimes you don't want to walk any more when you have walked all day in the parks:) I love the busses when they are not shared (CSR, AKL.) When they are shared they are slow and crowded (YC, BC, BW, GF, WL.)

Some of the AKL standard rooms look out on the bus stop, highway and parking lot so this may be why they offer low prices too-to fill those rooms.

Just one more comment - and correct me if I'm wrong......The AKL is so far removed from everything, it has a different tax rate from the other hotels.....

Originally posted by jillnan
Just one more comment - and correct me if I'm wrong......The AKL is so far removed from everything, it has a different tax rate from the other hotels.....

The AKL is located close to the AK park. The next closest would be Blizzard Beach and the CS resort along with the All Star resorts.

I believe the AKL has the same tax rate as the All Star becuase I think they are all in the same county. I am not sure about CS.

What is this about the Long bus rides from the AKL. It is 2-3 miles from World Drive. That is like 3-4 minutes longer on a bus. So if the ride on the bus to MK from The Epcot resorts is 10 minutes and the ride from AKL is 15 is that considered long????
Sure a boat ride from your hotel is great. And monorails can be fun but are people so jaded that an African themed resort with real african animals wandering outside your balconey is not worth an extra five minutes to get to the castle???
While I don't agree with Mr. Pirate much on a different board I sure think he hit this one on the head.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter