Why is WDW using these "secret" pin codes?

J.C.&ALI'SMOM

I really had to bite my tongue on that one.
Always before if someone got a pin code it came on an e-mail or postcard. Now people have to call to see if they have one beside their name. We also haven't had a general public code released for the time period that these pin codes are valid for.

I am just wondering about why the change has occurred. Is WDW moving toward using codes to lure returning visitors to upgrade to a more expensive resort? What about first time visitors on site? Since the bookings are up, are they using the pin code in order to keep loyal customers happy, while advertising the $1500 vacation to the masses?

What do you discount veterans think???

I'm confused by this "having to call to see if your name has a code" thing too.

Are the only people having to call, people who have moved and perhaps never got the post card?

Otherwise, this is very bizzare marketing. I would think that it would waste more of the reservationist's time than anything else.

If disney was smart any time someone checks out their web site for information about a trip they should mail something out to them.
I was sent a survey about booking my trip online, yet I did not book a trip on line I just saved information on the web site. Most of the questions were not about me. :confused3

The practice probably has gone on for years. It is just the expansion of internet and communication boards such as this one that have changed the landscape. Look at the discount code fiasco at the Disney Store online(roughly 17 months ago). People on the boards were "bragging" about how many orders they were able to "steal." Many of those same posters now "claim" to call WDW and "receive" a code. Sorry, but those people "checking" to see if a code is assigned to their name are only creating fewer discount opportunities for the rest.

Puffy2 said:
I'm confused by this "having to call to see if your name has a code" thing too.

Are the only people having to call, people who have moved and perhaps never got the post card?

Otherwise, this is very bizzare marketing. I would think that it would waste more of the reservationist's time than anything else.

They will probably be changing this in the near future and you will need a pin number when you call, this is only fair. I would imagine that there are just to many calls now due to the internet and its contagious for others they catch the fever and want those discounts too. :wizard:

It's targeted marketing and Disney is not the only place to do this. Honestly, they are moving towards PINs because with the internet sites like mousesavers and themouseforless and these boards, they can't release codes to a specific market and not have that code end up being used by everyone else. I am in no way blaming mousesavers or the boards, they are both great sources of info, it's the nature of the internet and it's affect on consumers, not the sites themselves. ;) For example, a few years ago a discount code was advertised in a Spanish language magazine. It wasn't published in the English language magazine ads so it was an attempt at targeted marketing. The code ended up being posted all over the net and many many people not in the target group ended up using it. It wasn't WRONG of these people to use it by any means, there were no rules for who could use it. Situations like that just showed Disney that if they want to target market, they had to find a different way to go about it if the intention was to offer the discount only to this specific demographic group. The PIN codes were the answer they came up with. I know it's frustrating to read "I go a code!" posts over and over when you are waiting and hoping for one. Unfortunately, the internet has changed the way a lot of companies are going to go about marketing. Disney has seen that even if they don't discount at all, they are still going to sell rooms. They'll discount only as they need to. They found an effective marketing strategy in the "Family of 4 for under $1500" thing as well as including Magical Express and the dining plan. I've had lots of quote requests for an "under $1500 vacation." I've explained the conditions that go along with this...value resort in value season etc. To be honest, the reactions to the quotes I send back are usually one of 2 things...either they decide they want to spend more for a "nicer" resort or they are shocked and appalled at Disney's "false advertising" when they find out that the $1500 doesn't include flights and food. :sad2: (I still wonder where people think they can go on vacation where a family of 4 can FLY, spend a week in a hotel, have most of their entertainment and all of their food covered and stay under $1500. Assuming their plane tickets are in the neighborhood of $175 each and they get a hotel room for $75/night, that leaves them with $12.50 per person, per day for entertainment and all food. That doesn't include a rental car or transfers either! :rolleyes: )

family of five.....I'm just curious as to why you are against calling to see if you have a discount?? Also curious as to why you think those calling to see if they have a discount are creating less discounts for everybody else??
I go to disney every summer. I've been going for 11 years now and have given disney TONS of money. I usually will use a code almost every year. Last year I used the general discount room only code. I do that because I find it cheaper to book room only and buy tickets seperate then to do disney packages. I can spend more nights for less money. I did not receive an email or a snail mail code this year. When I called to make my ressie I asked just to see if I had a discount code and was told yes I did. I was going to disney with or without the code so it wouldnt have changed my mind on going. But what I dont understand is your complaint about it. If I have a code why shouldnt I use it and call to find out if I have it? Not everybody who calls gets one so its not like disney is saying ....hmmm they asked for a code lets give them one. My next door neighbor is going and she called to see if she had a code and was told no. They are not giving them out to everybody who asked therefore they are not taking away codes for future people. Dont mean to sound harsh just curious as to your post.

:wave2:

I still just don't get why some people have to call to actually find out if they have a code. Why send the code to those people so they know they have a code/pin? Again, is it because these folks "moved" or something? Why didn't they receive any notification of the offer to begin with?

Again, is it because these folks "moved" or something? Why didn't they receive any notification of the offer to begin with?

There are people calling b/c they have changed email addresses or just to check since some email spam filters may not have let it through. MOST of the time people are aware when they received an offer.

My email provider had so much spam coming through that they had to shut down our prior domain and restart with another. Thus, my email address changed. When I called for my reservations for WL for my May trip, the CM that I spoke with was very nice but when I asked her to check for a PIN code she would not. She told me that there was no way for her to find that information, even though I know that there is. I booked anyway at $265 per night for woods view; I have gotten lots of email codes and snailmail postcards and sure hope that I am not missing one now!

I was just interested. I know that there will be some kind of discounts out there in the future to get customers in the rooms during less crowded times, but I was just wondering if WDW is targeting those of us who will go no matter what. So if we call to make our reservations we are offered a better rate?

I am used to having AP rates and it seems those are getting fewer and fewer. I am just looking for my next discounted room, I guess!

Puffy2 said:
I still just don't get why some people have to call to actually find out if they have a code. Why send the code to those people so they know they have a code/pin? Again, is it because these folks "moved" or something? Why didn't they receive any notification of the offer to begin with?

Sometimes the information on file isn't correct. I can't tell you how many times I've called and my email address was not listed correctly. If an email code was sent, I would not have recieved it. The only way to find out if I was tagged for a discount would be to call and ask.

I knew I had gotten one in the mail, but at the time I was not planning on booking a trip, so I threw it away. When I called, I asked if that discount card I had gotten a while back was still good, even though I threw it away. She checked my email and said, "Yes! Lucky You!"

J.C.&ALI'SMOM said:
Is WDW moving toward using codes to lure returning visitors to upgrade to a more expensive resort?

I can't help thinking this might be part of it. Maybe it is only my situation, but thats how it worked out for me. We booked a room at the Pop at the AAA rate. A few weeks later, when I called and found out I could use a code, I upgraded to WLV, then and eventually downgraded to AKL Savannah view.

Even though the code gives us our room at half price, we're still spending $91 per night more than we would have at the Pop, so ultimately, that's more money in Disney's pockets. I don't know why they do it how they do it, but in our situations, we benefit AND Disney benefits.

How far out are these email codes usually assigned. We are going in January. Should I check now to see if I have an email code. I'm thinking they would come out closer to the date.

Another question....

Will you not get a pin code if you already have a reservation? So many of us book a room, and then wait for the codes and apply them. Do you think that WDW will not give codes to people with ressies? Why should they? They know we are coming! :crazy:

Lollipop Mom said:
It's targeted marketing and Disney is not the only place to do this. Honestly, they are moving towards PINs because with the internet sites like mousesavers and themouseforless and these boards, they can't release codes to a specific market and not have that code end up being used by everyone else. I am in no way blaming mousesavers or the boards, they are both great sources of info, it's the nature of the internet and it's affect on consumers, not the sites themselves. ;) For example, a few years ago a discount code was advertised in a Spanish language magazine. It wasn't published in the English language magazine ads so it was an attempt at targeted marketing. The code ended up being posted all over the net and many many people not in the target group ended up using it. It wasn't WRONG of these people to use it by any means, there were no rules for who could use it. Situations like that just showed Disney that if they want to target market, they had to find a different way to go about it if the intention was to offer the discount only to this specific demographic group. The PIN codes were the answer they came up with. I know it's frustrating to read "I go a code!" posts over and over when you are waiting and hoping for one. Unfortunately, the internet has changed the way a lot of companies are going to go about marketing. Disney has seen that even if they don't discount at all, they are still going to sell rooms. They'll discount only as they need to. They found an effective marketing strategy in the "Family of 4 for under $1500" thing as well as including Magical Express and the dining plan. I've had lots of quote requests for an "under $1500 vacation." I've explained the conditions that go along with this...value resort in value season etc. To be honest, the reactions to the quotes I send back are usually one of 2 things...either they decide they want to spend more for a "nicer" resort or they are shocked and appalled at Disney's "false advertising" when they find out that the $1500 doesn't include flights and food. :sad2: (I still wonder where people think they can go on vacation where a family of 4 can FLY, spend a week in a hotel, have most of their entertainment and all of their food covered and stay under $1500. Assuming their plane tickets are in the neighborhood of $175 each and they get a hotel room for $75/night, that leaves them with $12.50 per person, per day for entertainment and all food. That doesn't include a rental car or transfers either! :rolleyes: )

Was just reading this thread, and had to say "Well put" to you. You are right on the money with everything you mentioned. I couldn't have said it tbetter myself :)

JRoglitz said:
How far out are these email codes usually assigned. We are going in January. Should I check now to see if I have an email code. I'm thinking they would come out closer to the date.

The pin codes that are currently out are only for check-ins up to July 4th, 2005. I would wait a while for your January trip :)

Mich Mouse said:
Another question....

Will you not get a pin code if you already have a reservation? So many of us book a room, and then wait for the codes and apply them. Do you think that WDW will not give codes to people with ressies? Why should they? They know we are coming! :crazy:

I've heard people are getting them with existing reservations, but you should only make a reservation at a rate you'd pay (or a resort level) if there aren't any codes. If you're only going to keep your reservation if you get a discount code, then you should wait for the code to even make that reservation. Having an existing resrvation does not guarantee that you will be able to "apply" a discount to it, a room available for the discount does. Disney decides on releasing discounts based on current bookings, if they are at a high occupancy level, then the need for codes or the discount percentages themselves go down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter