why stay in a cabin?

@mgsmom He does love fishing! Any tips on places to fish from shore?? He probably won't want to pay to do the guided fishing boat thing.

Only 3 places you can fish now at the Fort. One is at the pond between the bike barn and the Meadow Store and only off the dock, behind the 300 loop along the canal near the spillway into Bay Lake and last at the pond near group camping. These are the only places you can fish and always have to stay behind the mesh fence. Ive seen 4/5 pound bass caught near the spillway and at the bike barn pond so they would be the best spots IMHO. Good luck and have fun.

We have stayed in the FW cabins and loved the extra space and ability to fix breakfast, It is really the only alternative to the DVC villas for that kind of space. We now have a camper with 4 bunks and a queen bedroom, so we are happy camping in that. Again, it has extra space and kitchen.

I absolutely love the Fort. For years towing our trailer and our five kids down from Ohio was the only way we could afford the Disney bubble. My kids always had so much fun. I miss those days so much. Now we fly with one of two teenagers or adult kids and stay in hotels. I tried to convince my husband to try a cabin since I miss the fort but nope he won’t do it. I know though we’ll be back someday. It’s just such a wonderful resort, a vacation in itself.
We also love the Fort, but it's now out of our budget when we factor in the fuel costs to haul the camper there. If the sites were less, the fuel wouldn't be a big deal, but the sites are now about what a value would cost, so it ends up costing us more. :(

If the sites were less, the fuel wouldn't be a big deal, but the sites are now about what a value would cost, so it ends up costing us more. :(
I do the same math. I'm 1000 mile one way to the Fort. Factoring fuel towing vs driving a car to a Value, the financial advantage is food. The fuel + resort is about the same. I can bring my own food and eat as much as I want at the camper. I usually only eat breakfast and about half of dinners at the camper, but that still saves at least $50/day.

j

I prefer the Fort over a moderate because......
1) I bring my own house and the associated space and comforts I'm used to.
2) Outside private space can't be matched by any other hotel/room on property.
3) If you do the majority of your cooking and eating at your RV/cabin cost savings on meals alone is worth a third of the price of the site.
4) You can stay at the Fort and not leave. There is enough to keep you occupied if you so choose.
All applies to the cabins as well with the exception of it not being your own house.

I do the same math. I'm 1000 mile one way to the Fort. Factoring fuel towing vs driving a car to a Value, the financial advantage is food. The fuel + resort is about the same. I can bring my own food and eat as much as I want at the camper. I usually only eat breakfast and about half of dinners at the camper, but that still saves at least $50/day.

j
Just out of curiosity do you also factor in the parking fee at the resorts? That adds up as well which is why I wouldn't drive and stay in a resort hotel again. I know it doesn't count for the cabins as they charge for parking also.

Just out of curiosity do you also factor in the parking fee at the resorts?
The last time I played "Spreadsheet Roulette" with a WDW trip, they didn't have a parking fee. The last few trips I stayed at a non-Fort resort, I have flown. That was when I had APs and the AP resort rates were good enough to off set the flights.

j

Gotchya Jim.
Not to mention some people just don't want to run their RV a long distance.

SO how many pools are at FW? The main pool and the one by the cabins? Thank you for clarifying!

The last time I played "Spreadsheet Roulette" with a WDW trip, they didn't have a parking fee....
It wasn't a WDW trip, but the last time I played: Tax man - 1; Stork - 0. (Apologies to the Thread police...again).

SO how many pools are at FW? The main pool and the one by the cabins? Thank you for clarifying!

Yep that's right, SwanVT2.

The main pool near the the Meadow Trading Post has the slide, the kiddie pool, and Cast Member activities during the afternoons (and sometimes earlier in summer).

The quiet pool near the cabins are just that. No activities, no kiddie pool.

I think both have hot tubs.

Bama Ed

Yep that's right, SwanVT2.

The main pool near the the Meadow Trading Post has the slide, the kiddie pool, and Cast Member activities during the afternoons (and sometimes earlier in summer).

The quiet pool near the cabins are just that. No activities, no kiddie pool.

I think both have hot tubs.

Bama Ed
That sounds super nice. I'm really hoping we can go either Feb.2021 or 2022.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!