Why was Barley Lightfoot named Barley in Onward?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
When I first heard of Onward I never figured out why Barley got his name? Because barley is a grain used in food and it seems weird that Disney/Pixar would name a character after a food ingredient and what is surprising is that Ian Lightfoot has a person's name because Ian is Scottish for John. Why couldn't they name Barley something like Elfred or even Elfonse better than being named for a grain used in food?

Ian is the one the viewer has to identify with, therefore has a more 'normal' name.

Barley is mainly a side character and has a name that fits the universe better. Laurel is a tree, Wilden is a tree, Ian is the odd one out, which is what you want in your main character to give him more reason to go on his quest.
Barley does exist as a name, but more as as a surname.

But this is my guest.

Barley Lightfoot is my crush and I have liked him since hearing about Onward and I thought Barley was named weird but now thanks to you know why he's named Barley. I often wonder if they used Chris Pratt as inspiration for designing Barley because Barley reminds me so much of Chris?

I think it's just one of those fantsay type names, like one a Dungeons & Dragons player might come up with. It suits him I think.

I think it's cool that Disney decided to name Ian's brother after a food ingredient and just hearing the name Barley makes me giggle so hard because every time my dad tries to make me eat hot dogs with the buns I say no because they are made with barley flour and I don't want to be eating my crush and Dad teases me about it. Wilden Lightfoot is named for a tree? I have never seen a wilden tree before so I find it hard to believe that Ian and Barley's father has a tree name. But Barley is truly my sweetheart and I collect anything I can find of him

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter