Why were the Herbie movies such big hits?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
Growing up my aunt LOVED The Love Bug and every time it came on my aunt would giggle along with my mom and I never knew why the Herbie series of movies were huge hits? Is it because Herbie is such a fun character even though he's a car with antics? Or is it because Disney was branching out into having more comedy hits? Every time my mom and I see The Love Bug it makes me laugh and giggle. I also found it shocking that Disney made Herbie Fully Loaded with Lindsay Lohan and I wonder if that movie was gonna be the start of new Herbie movies for a new generation?

"The little car", as Herbie was known in the first movie, was a "character" in and of itself. But the reason the movies are so good is because of the quality of actors that were in the movies. The acting then was so much better than today.

The first movie had Dean Jones, Michelle Lee, David Tomlinson, Buddy Hackett, Joe Flynn, and Benson Fong. The second movie had the "First Lady of American Theatre" Helen Hayes.

Herbie Fully Loaded? It had Lindsay Lohan. Yes, I realize that Disney was trying to reach the then-current market. But, c'mon......Lindsay Lohan? The actors in the original movies forgot more about acting than Lindsay Lohan will ever learn.

The original movies were emotional rollercoasters. Herbie Fully Loaded was simply a fun, popcorn movie.

You do realize Herbie is a distant relative of Lightning McQueen.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter