Wi-Fi horrendous

We are here now and expected WiFi to be horrendous from the disboards. Pleasantly surprised. Maybe because we had lower expectations? Working just fine right now in our Ewa Tower room at 5pm, as well as last night (although we were jetlagged and went to bed at 9pm local time). Right now speedtest: 56.3 mbps download / 132.3 mbpgs upload which Google defines as "very fast."

I think WiFi at Disney IN GENERAL is poor. Had problems at Aulani and always have problems at WDW. Just got back today and in all 4 parks and a 5 DVC resort split stay this 12 day trip, I totally struggled with WiFi. Verizon LTE came through 'some' of the time but WiFi was awful. It shocks me that Disney, of all companies, cannot get their act together regarding WiFi or their IT in general.

Hopefully it won't stop you from going to Aulani because it's absolutely lovely and I miss it terribly.

Both my wife and I found the WiFi to be terrible. We were there from Jan 9th-19th. I had to spend a few hours doing work one day. I ended up turning off WiFi and using my phone as a hotspot.

We don't really use the internet that much, at least I don't. But my teen daughter does so we just got a decent deal on unlimited data. That might be worth looking into for someone who is online a lot instead of relying on wifi.

As I stated earlier, I didn't have any problem with the wifi and I was watching you tube videos and such with my iPad while there

I just went down a rabbit hole and watched the past 5 years worth of halftime shows via YouTube with no issues streaming. My family has had several devices online - some at the same time - throughout different parts of the day. Nothing crazy - just checking emails every once in a while, googling places to go/maps, etc. and have had no issues. Ewa Tower. High Floor.

Well I am happy to see some positive reports! Based on this, it must be more location specific versus resort wide. For my trip it did feel resort-wide, but perhaps because of New Years, the resort was more packed than normal and thus the wifi was more unreliable. For example, I doubt the wifi in the luau area always is 0/0, but then again even AT&T was 0/0 there for New Years. I can say without a doubt, my little area of Ewa was consistently horrific on the 14th floor--can't blame that on crowds.

I was just at OKW last weekend and the wifi in the room was only .25mbps, so I'm having bad luck with Disney wifi in general as @DVCjj said above. Luckily AT&T pulled through for me at OKW and for boarding groups at DHS :)

Well I am happy to see some positive reports! Based on this, it must be more location specific versus resort wide. For my trip it did feel resort-wide, but perhaps because of New Years, the resort was more packed than normal and thus the wifi was more unreliable. For example, I doubt the wifi in the luau area always is 0/0, but then again even AT&T was 0/0 there for New Years. I can say without a doubt, my little area of Ewa was consistently horrific on the 14th floor--can't blame that on crowds.

I was just at OKW last weekend and the wifi in the room was only .25mbps, so I'm having bad luck with Disney wifi in general as @DVCjj said above. Luckily AT&T pulled through for me at OKW and for boarding groups at DHS :)
Ha. The bad Aulani WiFi I mentioned in my post was Eva 14th floor!
Can't remember if I mentioned (just got back from WDW and tired) but we did 12 days in a 5-way split stay (fun!). I fought both Disney WiFi most of the time and Verizon some of the time at Poly, Kidani, Riviera, BC and CCV. Yep....drove me crazy. Especially since I don't have data on my iPad so I had to use my phone so much getting/losing/getting/losing reception. Still had a great time however. The things we put up with at Disney......

Yes, I do agree with @DVCjj - the things we put up with at Disney. :)

And yes, I also do think it depends on where the router is and how lucky your rm placement is to the router. Who knows. But I do agree with the posters struggling with WiFi - I'm sure it's hit or miss and I believe you!

You would not go over wifi? Or other bad reviews? The thing is with reviews is that some people are just pot stirrers. They like to complain either because they are just miserable people and are never happy or they like the attention. There are issues, yes, but I take those reviews with a grain of salt. If 80% of the people where saying how dirty the place was and had pictures to back it up, then I would listen to that. But the ones that complain about slow wifi, it does not affect us. We went for 2 weeks in 2017 and did not want to leave. And this was with my then 16yo daughter to had to keep all of her friends "updated". I was just thrilled to actually be able to go to Hawaii in my life. Go and enjoy time with your loved ones and soak in the natural beauty that you won't see anywhere else.
So agree with you. I plan to relax and enjoy the time with my family. I think if the idea of spotty wifi is a concern that it will ruin a holiday, then one might have to rethink what is important on a vacation.

Totally agree with @Mini girls.

So I didn't want to post this while we were in the room, but we arrived home yesterday. Husband & I figured out why the WiFI was EXCELLENT for us. We had a router in the closet in the living room. We were in a dedicated (not a lock-off where they combine 1 bdr + studio thru adjoining door) 2 bdr - room #1074. Ocean view.

You're welcome (I'm singing this in Maui's voice from "Moana.) And now #1074 becomes the most requested 2 bdr....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter