Wilderness Lodge: conspiracy theory.

SwirlTheCitrus

Think 🍊 Thoughts!
Hey all! So, I am intrigued why a property that is literally open 2/3 of the way with most of its infrastructure being utilized anyway, is NOT currently open for the rest of the year. It is not even bookable for 2021!

What ideas do you think make sense here:

1. Without Storybook dining there are not enough food locations for the guests.

2. The capacity is simply not needed. For the next 1.5 years.

3. (My conspiracy theory): Boulder Ridge Villas are up for a FULL refurb. Disney is planning on starting this refurb and moving all BRV guests into the main building.

I am hoping for #3, as I very much would like this refurb, but I would love to hear your ideas! WL lovers unite! 🥳

My guess... not needed. Most deluxe will already be open and they provide “direct” access to a park via walking or monorail. Obviously this excludes AKL, but that place is huge. WL is simply not needed right now and it would put unnecessary stress on the tiny boat to/from MK.

Honestly, I think they wish they could have shut it down but because CCV is its own condo association, they were forced to open it.

It is even possible, that many of the current costs have to be absorbed by DVC owners there. But, I also think that with BRV and CCV open as options, Disney really didn’t need more rooms there

Was the refurb expressly included in any contract? Were there payments made by owners specifically for the rehab or was the costs coming from annual/monthly dues? My best guess would be they can do the rehab whenever they want so long as they do not hinder access to those who have a legal right to be there.

I don't think there is any big mystery here. Since Disney is trying to reduce the amount of people at the pools and restaurants it is restricting guests to the two DVCs, imo. The WL resort rooms were undergoing a major refurb before the closure, so it would be a good opportunity to complete the refurb without bothering the guests. :)

I hope they are going to open soon, though, since we really want to stay here again. :)

My guess... not needed. Most deluxe will already be open and they provide “direct” access to a park via walking or monorail. Obviously this excludes AKL, but that place is huge. WL is simply not needed right now and it would put unnecessary stress on the tiny boat to/from MK.

I think it is mostly this - they don't need everything open so the ones that have more limited means of transportation are being held back

One reason why Caribbean Beach and Pop are opening (as they have Skyliner) but Port Orleans and All Stars are not

I believe it’s a capacity thing. Yes it’s not a big number of rooms but Disney is showing they don’t want to open everything right away.

Was the refurb expressly included in any contract?

Not any specific timeline that would mandate the work be completed in 2020-21.

Were there payments made by owners specifically for the rehab or was the costs coming from annual/monthly dues?

Yes. The monies are billed via annual dues. They are sitting in an interest-bearing capital improvements account until spent.

My best guess would be they can do the rehab whenever they want so long as they do not hinder access to those who have a legal right to be there.

Correct

It is not even bookable for 2021!
I’m booked in the Wilderness Lodge for April 2021. I booked it on April 30th this year after I realized I didnt think things would be back to normal in September 2020 (when we were supposed to go). Do you mean they are no longer making reservations? I was thinking there was a delay because they are refurbing the rooms in the main building & maybe planned on finishing that before reopening. I know they did club level & were working on the 5th & 6th floors, they had black plastic covering them. Maybe easier to finish the work without annoying the guests? Especially with everything else going on? Plus dont they have a few restaurants? Like Whispering Canyon, Roaring Fork & Geyser Point? I havnt been but i thought StoryBook was more like a Signature thing (even tho i know its not officially one anymore).

I’m booked in the Wilderness Lodge for April 2021. I booked it on April 30th this year after I realized I didnt think things would be back to normal in September 2020 (when we were supposed to go). Do you mean they are no longer making reservations? I was thinking there was a delay because they are refurbing the rooms in the main building & maybe planned on finishing that before reopening. I know they did club level & were working on the 5th & 6th floors, they had black plastic covering them. Maybe easier to finish the work without annoying the guests? Especially with everything else going on? Plus dont they have a few restaurants? Like Whispering Canyon, Roaring Fork & Geyser Point? I havnt been but i thought StoryBook was more like a Signature thing (even tho i know its not officially one anymore).
That is possible! Yes, at the moment, they are not allowing reservations for non-DVC Wilderness Lodge.

I am wondering if they will take advantage of the hotel side being closed to complete the renovations to that side that they had started before the shutdown. Perhaps not right away since it is a $$ outlay, but perhaps closer to when they intend to open. If they get it all done before opening, then minimal disruption to guests and it is done and over with.

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter