Will Fantasy Dry Dock Fix Aft Vibration Issues?

Usually an ongoing vibration in a large ship is caused by a flaw in the prop(s). A dry dock is the only time props can be repaired or replaced. Time will tell.

The Dream class prop blades are bolted on. They can change individual blades while the ship is in the water.

Just off the Fantasy and we were in 6188. Vibration was very noticeable at times but not to the point I wouldn't book the cabin again. I honestly noticed it more at dinner some nights then in my cabin. I think Enchanted Garden was where I felt it most.

We just got off the ship yesterday and we had a cabin on the 9th floor near the aft elevators. No vibration the first 4 nights. On the 5th night on the way back from St. Thomas the vibration was BAD! It was like a jack hammer. I had a hard time sleeping and so did my daughter who slept on the top bunk. I woke up with a massive headache in the morning and had to go sit in the adult area on deck where it was quiet. While in line for a character meet another family started talking to us about the vibration and seems they had the same experience as us. We talked to Guest services but they said they didn't know of any issue...they offered to move our stateroom but we declined because we didn't want to have to pack up our entire room to move, so they then offered us a sleep only room (inside stateroom) for 2 nights, where we would be able to leave our stuff in our stateroom. We used it 1 night but it was kind of a pain so the last night we stayed in our original room and thankful around midnight the vibration stopped. So basically Wednesday-Friday there was strong vibration to the point the hangers clanged and things on our bed were bouncing. We loved the location of our room but unless the issue is fixed we wouldn't book it again.

The Dream class prop blades are bolted on. They can change individual blades while the ship is in the water.

Those must be some big bolts because the with the surface area of the blade and the RPM rate, that would put tremendous force on the joint.

Are they welded bolts?
I don't think so. Afaik they are pretty much the same type bolts that you can get at Lowe's or Home depot. Only bigger. The pics I saw of blades bolted on look like they take a really big wrench to them with a come along.

I don't think so. Afaik they are pretty much the same type bolts that you can get at Lowe's or Home depot. Only bigger. The pics I saw of blades bolted on look like they take a really big wrench to them with a come along.

It would seem though with the size we're talking about there and the force involved, if they were not welded there would be a chance they could come loose. Are there any pics out there of the Dream or Fantasy props out of water?

We were in a rear facing balcony cabin on Fantasy two years ago on deck 8. When we were underway that ship had the slightest little 'wiggle', probably from wave action against the back of the hull. HOWEVER, after we left San Juan, they were running fast to make our stop at Castaway Cay and we had a very well defined vibration appear. It only was apparent when they threw the throttle open and ran fast. We were starboard of the center line, and we didn't get any banging or clanging like is described other places on this post, but we did have some 'symptoms' of something out of balance, like a prop or prop shaft...

We have a similar cabin on deck 9 for a cruise in Feb of next year. It would be nice if this vibration was gone after the dry dock stay...

Tom in Okeechobee, FL

I have only been on the Fantasy once, in 2014, and had a mid/aft room (7150) and we never noticed any vibration :confused3 Maybe we were lucky that cruise, or our stateroom wasn't back far enough.

I will say that so far nothing has compared to the vibration we felt on the Eurodam with HAL. We had read about the continuing vibration problems beforehand, but it was actually more widespread than we expected. You could feel it in the dining rooms, the buffet, your room -- it was throughout the ship. When you were sitting at the buffet, the vibration would go up your legs -- it was quite uncomfortable. They, too, have never been able to figure out how to resolve it.

It would seem though with the size we're talking about there and the force involved, if they were not welded there would be a chance they could come loose. Are there any pics out there of the Dream or Fantasy props out of water?

I was looking last night for 1 and can't find it. I can find them all day long on azipods. They probably have a really high torque put on them.

Found this article from when the Dream first came out. The coating theyre talking about, NASA tried out on their booster recovery ships first, then the cruise industry picked up on it.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/...disney-dream-technical-behind-the-scenes.html

We stayed in 6614 in December and I noticed a little vibration. It wasn't like earthquake bad. I only noticed it when I was leaning on the headboard of the bed. We were moving pretty fast, but it was SUPER late and I was the only one up. My wife and 3 kids didn't notice. Wouldn't prevent me from getting an aft stateroom again on that ship. I look at it like this: It's a 65,000 ton all-inclusive resort going across the sea. There will be movement, vibrations, and noise. Still worth it for my family.

We were in 8662 (right off the aft elevators) on the Fantasy Cruise last week. The vibration in our room was awful, especially Sunday and Monday. I realize the weather was not good those days, but the vibration was constant. When I laid in bed at night the entire bed vibrated constantly. NOT fun. We've had this same stateroom before and never had that issue. I probably would not book that room again even though we like the location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter