Will 'The Last Jedi' be The Best Star Wars Ever??

The Disney Movie Review

Disney Movie Lover.
Hey ya'll. Long time no talk. But here I am. In desperate need of your help. I'm finding it very hard to temper my expectations for The Last Jedi.

Let's start with what we know:
  1. The trailer is a thing of beauty. It has 36 million views on the Star Wars YouTube channel alone and I'm sure 35 million of them come from me.
  2. Lucasfilm - a company that has fired more directors than it has hired - just gave Rian Johnson full control of a completely new Star Wars trilogy. They obviously have faith in him after TLJ. In addition, they wanted him to do episode 9!
  3. Kathleen Kennedy said of Johnson: "He’s a creative force, and watching him craft The Last Jedi from start to finish was one of the great joys of my career." This is a woman who has revived Star Wars with JJ Abrams. She produced Schindler's List, Back to the Future, and Jurassic Park. Yet watching Episode 8 come to life was a "great joy."
  4. Bob Iger - a man who is worth more than I will probably make in a lifetime - has taken time to see the movie multiple times. How good does a movie have to be for a guy who makes roughly $1000 per hour to watch it several times?
  5. Star Wars is not my favorite Disney property. Don't get me wrong, I like it. I have all 6. (Waiting to buy the new trilogy all together.) But I've never read a comic, or even watched the TV shows. And yet, here I am. The most excited I've been for a movie probably since Inside Out. (Another movie that didn't disappoint).
Now, half of this could just be lip service and I get that. But I still find myself getting excited. The problem with excitement is that you can almost certainly set expectations so high that no movie can ever meet them. That's where you come in.

I need someone to talk me down. What am I not considering? What should I be nervous about? Or am I right to totally expect this movie to blow away everything else. Help me disboards. You're my only hope.

Don't know if someone can talk you down at this point, you've already built yourself up.
I know for myself I want to see it, but have not even watched the trailer. Will go see it next week.

As an original Star Wars movie theater viewer multiple times (at least 10X), I feel I have fallen into the Star Wars movie universe can do no wrong. Then I remind myself of the prequels and those thoughts are quickly squashed. I found Rogue One to be so well done that, for me, it set the bar for all post original trilogy movies.

I will see The Last Jedi, but am no longer in the "must" see it opening night/weekend/week camp. I look forward to the story and plot so long as I don't need an algorithm to decipher the character lineage.

Now, if I could only go back in time and retrieve my original Star Wars figures (including the rarest Jawa, Darth Vader and Boba Fett) that my dogs chewed up. Ughhhhhhh.......

Whether The Last Jedi is the best movie ever, is up to the viewer's personal opinion. I liked TFA but wouldn't rate it better than A New Hope or the Empire strikes back.

And Rian Johnson is going to have to do some interesting storyline to not make me dislike Kylo Ren. Especially when I already detest him.

TFA had strong New heros I really liked. Poe, Rey and Finn are really interesting and I hope to hear more about them.

Well, I've now seen it, and I would say that, no it isn't the best Star Wars movie ever. It was still pretty great, but a little uneven. I may need to see it again (oh, I will) to judge it better, but on first viewing it didn't quite rise to the highest levels. In fact, it may be one of my least liked Star Wars movies, but I love them all, so that still makes it a really good movie by any other metric.

I think it's fun to be a fan of something that always makes you happy. For me there will never be another Disney movie as good as Mary Poppins, but I still like nearly all of the rest of them and am glad when a new title joins the fold. I'm only a casual Star Wars fan but I'll be buying the movie when it becomes available because I think they're very entertaining. Whether or not the next new thing is the best just isn't that important.

I liked the first one(The Force awakes) so I hope it will better than the first one.

It was pretty good...second viewing was even better. It wasn't the best ever...Empire still holds that title. It was better than episodes 1-3 and the Clone Wars movie (it was in the theaters, it counts as a Star Wars movie). A lot of fans didn't like how Force Awakens seemed like the same movie as the originals...and now they are mad that this movie is so different...It isn't how I imagined the story continuing, but that's ok...it is a thousand times better than those horrible "Expanded Universe" books that Disney turned into "Legends"...the whole idea of the Empire and the Rebellion joining forces to fight an alien species from outside the galaxy? Chewie gets crushed by a planet? Every creature they encounter was in the background in one of the movies (in the cantina or Jabba's Palace)? Yeah, they were dumb.

What i really liked was the humor. And I won't spoil any plot or secrets, but I felt the secret of Rey's parents was gold...made the most sense...and there is a lot of dialog in the OT and some things in the prequels that back up the idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!