Will we regret not seeing fireworks (HEA)?

We've gone every year for 3 years now, and just bought DVC since we don't plan to stop. We've never seen Wishes or HEA. We tried Illuminations once from a restaurant but both kids fell asleep at the dinner table and my husband couldn't see a thing from his side of the table. We tend to stay in the parks from RD until 4-6. Usually leave for dinner, and we've always been too exhausted to try to head back. My kids are only 5 and 2, so we have plenty of time to do nights when they're older. I hate tight crowds, so not sure if we'll ever mash in at MK to watch HEA. No regrets here!

Thanks for all your input. You've all given me a lot to consider. Definitely sounds like for the most part HEA is a crowd pleaser. I guess ultimately though, only we can decide what's right for us. I have to admit, as the planner of the trip, I'm feeling a lot of pressure to make sure that the trip is great.

We definitely can't consider park hopper or adding a park day; we are Canadian and purchased the at-par tickets, and it is not feasible to add these features without losing the savings of these at-par tickets. We are also not considering the Christmas party, as our kids wouldn't be able to stay up late enough to warrant the cost of the tickets. I would have considered the dessert party, but there's no availability for the garden viewing, and my understanding is the terrace viewing isn't desirable (plus it's expensive!).

I really like the idea of viewing the different nighttime shows on youtube, I can't believe I never considered that one. My kids don't mind spoilers, and in fact, it may help hype up the trip, and it can give me an idea as to whether it will be worth it. I have to be honest, my kids don't like tight crowds much, and being packed in like sardines does concern me, but if they're awed by HEA online videos, I'll find a way to make it work.

Has anyone done Pirates and Pals? I know that you can't see the projections, but it would allow us to go on a non-MK day, and the kids can still see fireworks away from crowds, and they love pirates. A bit pricey though.

I would also definitely consider Illuminations, but based on what I've been reading, it sounds as though HEA is far superior. hmmm, what's better, HEA without the projections (aka. viewing from outside the park or Pirates and Pals), or Illuminations?

The beauty is, we don't have any ADRs planned, so until fastpasses open up, we have some flexibility. I appreciate everyone's thoughts!

It really depends on your family. My family is not big on fireworks. My sons (who liked Wishes) did not care for HEA.

I think it's fun to go on rides during the MK fireworks like the People Mover or Aladdin's Magic Carpets.

At age 5 and 7 they might enjoy them but I don't think they'll be sad if you don't get to them. So I would make the decision that day and if they are tired, don't worry about it.

I love the Disney parks, but would prefer to never see another night time fireworks show again. I don't like the standing and the crowds. Going on a party day when we have to leave before these to me would be wonderful. // It really though depends on your family and what they enjoy and think is worth doing. My son who is 21 loves these shows and when I let him do planning he'll change days around and go on more crowded days just to see the night time stuff. So everyone is different. // If you don't want to do these, you won't miss what you don't experience.

Projection going really fast, with fireworks at the same time, and they didn't seem to be in sync, at least not like Wishes.

I didn't get the message from HEA - it was actually too fast and jumbled for much to be absorbed. And if one has to see it multiple times to get the effect, that's just plain stupid.
I had pretty much the complete opposite experience with it. I actually found the message pretty clear the first time I saw it. I also found it to flow very well throughout, not jumbled. Yes there was a lot going on, but I found that to be a positive and it was definitely not too much for me. I loved Wishes, but I find this show faaar superior, like not even close to the same level.

Well, I know I would regret it since we have never seen it. Before I knew there was going to be a new show, I had decided to skip the fireworks on our next trip, but not going to now.
However, it really depends on your family and how it works out schedule-wise.

We have just got back from 2 weeks and we spent the majority of our time (especially in the later evening) at MK. We saw HEA numerous times from different positions, and while it is obviously a great technological marvel and spectacle, I personally didn't 'feel' as connected to it as Wishes. It didn't evoke the same kind of emotion, albeit good and somewhat engaging, it just seemed to be lacking and almost like they were trying to get as many 'B-side' main characters into play... but I suppose that is personal opinion.

On one of the nights I camped out for about an hour in the central island right in front of the Castle, we got a very good view. The downside is that having waited for an hour or so, all of the CM's come and and move everyone forward so you lose your vantage point! lol I understand why they do it, but it was a little frustrating. On top of that, as it is such an in demand show, I don't think they do a good enough job of marshaling people who are doing things they shouldn't and ruining the experience for others.. i.e. Standing on trash cans, being 15ft from the front and then putting 10year olds on your shoulders.... standing in front of everyone who is sitting behind you despite having an unobstructed view etc.. While these are obviously 100% subjective, it did sour the experience for me. The other nights we used HEA to go on rides without any wait! However, be warned, the second HEA finishes the FastPass lines for the major attractions will be just as long as the Standby. This we experienced multiple times on Space Mountain, TRR, MT etc... People are getting wise and booking a fast pass for the time period right after HEA and then it is a literal 'rate race' to the line! On our last night the FP line went from Space Mountain all the way to the People Mover!

A little tip for those not wanting to spend the money on a desert viewing party or putting up with a humongous crowd, if you can (and have someone willing to do it) you can get a table at Casey's Corner that will give you an excellent view of the castle, no one in front (as they prevent people from stopping on the walkway in front of the seating) and you can not only have a tasty treat, but you will get a very good experience while sitting comfortably! Obviously, this is a bit hit or miss as you cannot book tables but we lucked out one night when we were not going to stay and watch!

Here are a couple of pictures... we were 1 table back from the front.... and remember, DON'T FEED THE BIRDS lol ;o)

https://goo.gl/photos/VuMQaDmrVQoqbZyk7

https://goo.gl/photos/CHFtRyEbbnh1vVpKA

If I were to go again I wouldn't be too enamored with wanting to be 'front and center', it is a good show but for me personally (and something that is echoed by my family) I don't think it is worth all of the additional hassle to view it properly. But that is just my opinion...... I would definitely contemplate doing Casey's Corner again though! That was a right result! ;o)

Here is a Google map of the table for reference:

https://goo.gl/photos/xRVG1tCaQopgkrPVA

The view from Tomorrow Land is also not too bad, you get the music, the fireworks and a good angle of the castle projections too:

https://goo.gl/photos/BpVxjKAumeBdMi7E9

Here is what the view looks like from the SDMT side of the park:

https://goo.gl/photos/PWyE6bvUrjTiUkjS6

Here is it looking from just outside the Dumbo Ride, facing SDMTL

https://goo.gl/photos/FL7sgWomQoZDtrjh7

As final comparison, here is a screen shot of my 2.7k Video when on the center island infront of the castle:

https://goo.gl/photos/KcvLx8dYqzTXBJkC6

Here is its relevant location on Google maps:

https://goo.gl/photos/SR1VLbjVpTMgSxNX7

And both together for ease of viewing:

https://goo.gl/photos/tWuu8iHG7EfFs2yDA

Last edited:
I guess the new show is more for the 'slam all the stuff you can into your face' trend that seems so prevalent now? No time to absorb, just move on to the next thing, quick,quick,quick! Make sure you document it, and then move on... If they took half the stuff out of the projections, and had some fireworks without changing projections, people would get a chance to breathe and actually appreciate more of what was put into the show, IMO.

Projection going really fast, with fireworks at the same time, and they didn't seem to be in sync, at least not like Wishes.

I didn't get the message from HEA - it was actually too fast and jumbled for much to be absorbed. And if one has to see it multiple times to get the effect, that's just plain stupid.

Yikes that's a pretty strong opinion against one of my favorite things. You're more than entitled to it, of course, but I'm sorry to hear it's not enjoyed by all.

You might enjoy the view from a little further back. I think it's spectacular.

This is a slightly different example, but one of the critiques of Pirates of the Caribbean was that there was too much going on that you couldn't see it all. Walt Disney addressed this in his video introducing the attraction, to say that it meant people could appreciate it more after multiple visits. There's something similar going on here.

Also, they will ruin you for most other fireworks shows you will see in your lifetime.:D
Not for my DH. He's been to all the Disney fireworks shows, but remains unimpressed compared to the military displays he's seen.

I love fireworks (but have never seen any of the military ones). I like the Disney fireworks, but I've seen many other great ones. I liked Wishes a lot, but didn't go out of my way to see it on every trip. The current Illuminations bores me to tears. Not a big fan of the Fantasmic show at all. It just seemed overdramatic and fake to me.

But that's my take on the Disney fireworks shows. Others may have a totally different perspective. No one can predict what you will connect with.

If you loved Wishes, don't go to HEA! Well, maybe I'm kidding a little bit, but we were not impressed - it's sort of like one long advertisement for the Disney movies, with lots of good effects on the castle, but you can't see them when they cram you in like sardines. Random fireworks that you don't even notice as you are busy watching the overload of effects on the castle. No 'wow that was so emotional and perfect' feelings after, just kind of overwhelmed with all the stuff they tried to cram in - it's like a bunch of squirrels programmed some of it. Not enough pause between some of the segments, KWIM? You don't have time to let it soak in.

I can see how this would be the case. I'm looking forward to finding out just what our impressions are. I'm starting to get the WDW bug again and looking at 2018 options for our next trip. That will be our first time seeing HEA. All others have been Wishes, so sad to see it go, but I'm o.k. with change (hopefully :) )

Dan

How do you stake out a spot early and avoid having someone stand in the open spot right in front of your short kid at the last minute? The crowds we saw were shoulder to shoulder all the way back to main street. So it was not like you could just move to the side when that happens. I never saw any crowd like that at Wishes.
You have to be savage when it comes to crowds. Don't move from your spot, stick out your elbows, block out a small section if you are with a group. Of course, if you go during off-season, there's less of a chance of this happening. You could also politely ask the person in front of you to move or trade place with you.

Last night of our trip. Perfect weather day. We stayed to watch HEA show. I really enjoyed it and it was perfect closing for our time at Disney.

I can see both sides/opinions on it. We waited about 1 hr and 15 min to have good spot in front of castle or as much as any standby ride / character m&g.

And I can say - I would have done it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter