Will you be taking your family to Disney before a cure/vaccine is found for Covid 19?

Covid 19 may never have a cure and may never have an effective vaccine. I agree with a previous poster who stated that social distancing is primarily about not overwhelming the health care system. We can't all stay inside forever afraid of being infected. Well, let me rephrase. Individuals are certainly free to make that choice. People who are high risk or have high risk family members certainly might. If any of my family members were high risk, I would not consider going to a busy theme park until this situation plays out further. However, as it stands now I would take my family this year being as safe and cautious as possible regardless of a vaccine or treatment. The bigger determining factor for us will be if Disney is even open and, if so, how diminished the experience is. I can certainly live without some things. We have small children so fireworks are tough to make it to anyway. We like afternoon breaks so I wouldn't mind the parade being cancelled. No indoor rides? No indoor shows? Entire parks closed? No character meals or meets? Requirement to wear masks in the sweltering heat? These are all things that would make me seriously evaluate if I am getting enough value out of the tremendous price tag.

Probably not, unless testing capacity and our ability to treat the virus dramatically improve. I’m not overly concerned about getting the virus, but I think it would be considered socially irresponsible and selfish in my community (Canada) to go to WDW and then possibly bring the virus back.

We scheduled for early fall and I'm just sitting back and waiting to see what happens. If WDW is open and operating normally we'll go. If it's not and is on some type of "modified" experience, we'll probably cancel and rebook for next year sometime. I'm not too concerned about the virus as I's pretty sure it already went through our household (not tested because not hospitalized), but I'm not paying for a premium product and getting a diminished experience.

We scheduled for early fall and I'm just sitting back and waiting to see what happens. If WDW is open and operating normally we'll go. If it's not and is on some type of "modified" experience, we'll probably cancel and rebook for next year sometime. I'm not too concerned about the virus as I's pretty sure it already went through our household (not tested because not hospitalized), but I'm not paying for a premium product and getting a diminished experience.

Same - booked for July 14 - no fireworks, parades, and if we have to wear masks- these possible changes would make us postpone

If I were planning it for this year, yes, I would but that's more because I will be bringing my mom who would be more susceptible. Makes me almost glad we are looking at fall of 2022! Of course, then it could be unknown Weird-Zootological-Virus-22 and we rinse and repeat so who knows.

I might not wait for a vaccine, but I definitely will wait until there is some sort of treatment that can brunt the fill effects of the virus. This is a highly infectious virus and I'm not sure I can risk getting it standing in line with people and getting my kids and parents sick from it.

Social distancing doesn't mean staying at home, but it does mean not being packed into a bus or on main street or in line or grabbing a hand rail that 100 people just touched in the last 30 minutes. People flippantly thinking they can just go back in November is nuts to me. There's going to be a 2nd and 3rd deadly wave of this thing. Hell Florida reopening their beaches and Georgia reopening stuff is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

People that were showing up right now at protests are getting sick. This isn't going away in the next 60 days. We're going to have to science the heck out of this thing. Best advice that I, as a normal dude without a medical degree can give you is stay safe, be smart, and don't rush back to normal just because.

I might not wait for a vaccine, but I definitely will wait until there is some sort of treatment that can brunt the fill effects of the virus. This is a highly infectious virus and I'm not sure I can risk getting it standing in line with people and getting my kids and parents sick from it.

Social distancing doesn't mean staying at home, but it does mean not being packed into a bus or on main street or in line or grabbing a hand rail that 100 people just touched in the last 30 minutes. People flippantly thinking they can just go back in November is nuts to me. There's going to be a 2nd and 3rd deadly wave of this thing. Hell Florida reopening their beaches and Georgia reopening stuff is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

People that were showing up right now at protests are getting sick. This isn't going away in the next 60 days. We're going to have to science the heck out of this thing. Best advice that I, as a normal dude without a medical degree can give you is stay safe, be smart, and don't rush back to normal just because.

Well said! There are a lot of indicators from various governments around the world that large group gatherings are not happening in 2020 (unfortunately!).

Yes, my family will go if Disney is open in the fall. The economy and world have to open back up. Going to Disney is really no different then going to a shopping center, large mall, or gym. These places are not wiping down every article being touched. Just because people are wearing mask does not mean they can not spread the virus. I personally have seen people wear the same mask and gloves from on area to the next. I can guarantee Disney does a better job with crowds and safety. The fear is real for everyone, but there will always be and has always been something that can make you sick.

Yes, my family will go if Disney is open in the fall. The economy and world have to open back up. Going to Disney is really no different then going to a shopping center, large mall, or gym. These places are not wiping down every article being touched. Just because people are wearing mask does not mean they can not spread the virus. I personally have seen people wear the same mask and gloves from on area to the next. I can guarantee Disney does a better job with crowds and safety. The fear is real for everyone, but there will always be and has always been something that can make you sick.

"always been something that can make you sick" is not on the same scale as "something that has become a global pandemic that is killing 10's of thousands of americans in weeks". It's not even close and a very dangerous way to look at things.

We will when/if it opens. We'll take more precautions than usual, but yes we will. We currently have 2 trips planned between now and October. I'm hoping they both happen but we'll see. I will say we're fortunate that we don't have any high risk ppl. in our family; if we did that would certainly make me think twice.

Disney is definitely different than going to a mall...are you standing shoulder to shoulder with people when you shop? And touching and sitting on things that thousands of other people have touched that day? Eating at restaurants for three meals a day? Not at all the same, IMO. And gyms should not opening up. That one is mind-blowing to me.

I don’t know whether or not we will wait for a vaccine, but I’m not sure when we will go back. When we first had to cancel spring break I thought we’d just reschedule for fall break. But that is looking more and more unlikely. I am far from a germ-a-phobe and I’m definitely not living in fear. But a vacation is not worth putting my family in danger. I worry that if we get it we would expose our parents and really put them at risk. Right now my kids can’t even see their friends or grandparents. I would like for that to change. And for school to start again in the fall😆

I have recently had a change of heart/mind. We canceled our trip today.

We had a trip planned for March and were gung-ho to go until Disney announced their closure (our arrival day was the first day they were closed). We immediately rescheduled our trip for July and decided to upgrade to Club Level to make the cancellation easier to swallow.

At the beginning of this week, I was positive that WDW would be open by June and things would settle out by July. I was prepared for "modified experiences" and social distancing in the parks, and was still excited to go. If they were open by July - I was going to be there! But...

After much deliberation and stress, I decided that traveling anywhere this year was not in my best interests. At some point, we all have to take responsibility for our own health and well-being, and this was the measure that I felt the most comfortable with (not knocking anyone who still has plans to travel).

I also started thinking about my "deal-breakers" in terms of "modified experiences." The speculation and rumors are all over the place, but I could see many proposed "modifications" come to fruition. When I thought about how vigilant and overly cautious I would have to be to *feel* safe at WDW this year, it stopped feeling like a vacation (in my mind) and started to feel like a battle. That is not why I go to Disney. That is not why Disney is special and important to me. I NEED the comfort of the "Disney Bubble,"where real-world problems don't exist, and I don't feel like I will be able to experience that feeling this year.

To be clear, I am not knocking anyone's personal choice to travel. Like I said, up until yesterday, I was going to Disney this summer. We do need people to go to Disney and help support a company and "lifestyle" that we love. So for those who feel up to the challenge, I fully support you. I plan to give WDW a
HUGE sum of money when we travel in 2021. 8-)

I have recently had a change of heart/mind. We canceled our trip today.

We had a trip planned for March and were gung-ho to go until Disney announced their closure (our arrival day was the first day they were closed). We immediately rescheduled our trip for July and decided to upgrade to Club Level to make the cancellation easier to swallow.

At the beginning of this week, I was positive that WDW would be open by June and things would settle out by July. I was prepared for "modified experiences" and social distancing in the parks, and was still excited to go. If they were open by July - I was going to be there! But...

After much deliberation and stress, I decided that traveling anywhere this year was not in my best interests. At some point, we all have to take responsibility for our own health and well-being, and this was the measure that I felt the most comfortable with (not knocking anyone who still has plans to travel).

I also started thinking about my "deal-breakers" in terms of "modified experiences." The speculation and rumors are all over the place, but I could see many proposed "modifications" come to fruition. When I thought about how vigilant and overly cautious I would have to be to *feel* safe at WDW this year, it stopped feeling like a vacation (in my mind) and started to feel like a battle. That is not why I go to Disney. That is not why Disney is special and important to me. I NEED the comfort of the "Disney Bubble,"where real-world problems don't exist, and I don't feel like I will be able to experience that feeling this year.

To be clear, I am not knocking anyone's personal choice to travel. Like I said, up until yesterday, I was going to Disney this summer. We do need people to go to Disney and help support a company and "lifestyle" that we love. So for those who feel up to the challenge, I fully support you. I plan to give WDW a
HUGE sum of money when we travel in 2021. 8-)
I love this response. Thank you. It makes a lot of sense to me personally!

My husband and I were just discussing this... we have a trip planned for Dec. We usually go every year, but last year we did a Disneyland trip instead. We miss WDW!

That said... we both have risk factors. And WDW and our State Fair are the two large-crowd things we LOVE doing. So a big part of me wants to go back to Disney because dang, we need a vacation and a break and it would feel like a return to normal. And the other side is... how bad will it be? Will we go and just be stuck in a resort? Will we be able to go on any rides at all? And same thing... what kind of trip do we want? We LOVE the Disney bubble... we get off the plane and don't touch reality after that, just Disney transportation and Disney meals etc.

First is airfare... not sure if we'll feel safe on a plane. Then will we rent a car instead? So many what-ifs. I've got until October to decide and bank our DVC points, so I'll be eagerly reading the first return visitors trip reports and we'll have to decide when we get closer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!